Oil sniffing - Opie Oils

Forum news and updates.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Oil sniffing - Opie Oils

Post by IZU069 »

I only just noticed he following PM (similar to Pm's I'm not getting notifications):

Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:44 pm
Subject: Opie Oils Joining your fourm Dear IZU069

Please excuse the unsolicited message but it contains information that may be of interest to your club and its members. My name is Phil Combellack and I work for Opie Oils, the largest independent online retailer of oils and fluids in the UK. You've hopefully already heard of us.

... etc.

I suppose as a Mod I should do something but I only just realised I was a mod when reading the index to post this... (Hey! It's not a car part so I don't have to remember it!)

But has anyone else had this PM? (Was only my address sniffed?)
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Never heard of Opie Oils and never had a pm from them.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Nothing in my inbox
1986 Piazza - 1984 Piazza
1986 Heron MJ1
www.mvpc.co.nz www.ihwedding.co.nz
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Interesting...
And thanks for the feedback.

FYI below is what was sent. Probably of limited use to us antipodeans anyhow, but good to see Castrol & NGK...

To: IZU069
Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:44 pm
Subject: Opie Oils Joining your fourm

Dear IZU069

Please excuse the unsolicited message but it contains information that may be of interest to your club and its members. My name is Phil Combellack and I work for Opie Oils, the largest independent online retailer of oils and fluids in the UK. You've hopefully already heard of us.

Whether you have heard of us or not, I would like to take this opportunity to introduce Opie Oils to you and the clubs community as I'm confident that we could save your members money. Another way we like to help you save money is by have having a different deal everyday, which could be up to 50% off some product.

We offer one of the widest range of oils and lubricants from 11 major oil manufacturers at prices much lower than the high street and main dealers. Our brands include, Castrol, Castrol Classic, Fuchs, Gulf, Millers Classic Oils, Millers Oils, Mobil, Motul, Redline, Silkolene and Valvoline. We stock oils and fluids that meet pretty much all manufacturers and international specifications and can deliver throughout the UK and Europe.

Not just oils and fluids...

Opie Oils also sell Spark & Glow Plugs from Denso and NGK. Oil, Air, Cabin and Fuel Filters from UFI, Mahle and K&N, Brake Parts from Brembo, an extensive range of Workshop & Garage equipment including Oil Catch Trays, Axle Stands, Trolley Jacks, Drums, Pumps & Containers, Greases, Funnels, Rust Prevention & Treatment products, Wiper Blades from Trico and huge selection of Cleaning and detailing products from Armor All, Astonish, AutoGlym, Bilt Hamber, Castrol, Dodo Juice, Farecla, Fuchs, Gulf, Gunk, K&N, Kent Car Care, Meguiars, MER, Michelin, Motul, Muc-Off, Silkolene and Simoniz.

I have been looking into Isuzu Piazza and would like to have an input. Our club discount scheme has been running for a number of years. We would like to make you apart of our club list, and add you to our club discount scheme. The Club discount scheme will offer all your members 10% off all products on our website, we will make you, your very own discount code.

I would also like to take this opportunity to ask if we can have more input to the club/forum by offering the club an oil advice and recommendation service, details of our regular offers and monthly competitions worth up to £350! If you would like to take advantage of our input then I kindly ask that our club discount application form is completed so that our records can be updated. This can be done so here:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/frmNewClub.aspx

We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Phil Combellack
Clubs Co-ordinator
Opie Oils
Telephone - 01209 202945
email - sales@opieoil.co.uk
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Sounds legit. He obviously picked you after sniffing out the person he believes to be running the show on this forum. But 10% discount doesn't seem worth the trouble because it will probably only negate postage costs.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

I didn't get it, they probably have figured out I am tighter than a ducks arse and wouldn't buy anything. I also hate unsolicited shit like this and if they do it again let me know and I will sort them out.
So many cars, so little cash
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

I agree it sounds legit so it's merely the spam aspect though I appreciate their PM for an individual to organise etc rather than the usual blanket post/thread to all. IMO that puts it above mere spam.

As to the right to advertise etc - what right does someone have NOT to tell us of some new magic solution or saving?
Not that that explains trying to push water chillers into the private house of a car club editor, or offering free trips (yet more reasons for NOT missing car club involvement!) but I know the many status quos I have busted. (Hence my unpopularity - busting ripoffs from car clubs or individuals; fuel booster/saver schemes; dual battery & charge boost kits; safety products & methodologies; etc.)
IPTOC
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by IPTOC »

Gents, Opie Oils are a supplier of oils, greases, consumables and the like, based in the South West of England. They're very competitive and stock all the major brands of quality lubricants.

IPTOC has applied to them for recognised club status in order to gain access to their club discount structure; it may be that they've happened upon this forum as it will be accessible via the Forum link on the revised IPTOC website when it goes live.

Hope this helps!
1988 Isuzu Piazza HBL Auto - Ebony Black
1988 Isuzu Piazza HBL Manual - Romanesque Silver
1851 Cellar chock full of Isuzu spares!!
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

AH HA! So it is YOU that has compromised the security of this site! I'm telling my Mother!

Ha ha.
Merely curious, but was IPTOC's application independent or as a result of this thread?
Either way I'm glad IPTOC see them as worthwhile etc.

As intimated, thought I hate spam, I didn't mind Opie Oils' Clubs Coordinator Phil Combellack's approach - he DID not spam via a thread nor did he PM/email us en masse. And for once the "spam" is relevant to this site and not a mere response to key words or ability to post.
Like I said above, what right do Opies have NOT to inform us of something that may be of advantage? I'm impressed.

So fellow Antipodeans, I guess well be ordering GTX-2 etc through IPTOC eh?

Thanks IPTOC for your info.