latest work in progress

Talk about anything and everything
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

latest work in progress

Post by wedgenut »

Now I am not really a perfectionist and looks are secondary to performance in my book but even I will admit that this one could probably use a lick of paint here and there and a quick run through with a hoover.

:finga: :finga: :finga: :finga: :finga: :finga: :finga: :finga:
So many cars, so little cash
Virtual-R
Technical Admin
Technical Admin

Post by Virtual-R »

Afew years ago we killed a gemini doing the same thing lol. We got the grinder and grinded the roof and pillars off. once the centre pillar was removed the entire middle of the car buckled and twisted out of shape with all of the doors popping open lol. Afew days later the car was sent to its new home at the metal recyclers lol.

Few months before that we destroyed another Gemini, if you remember the picture that Nick posted up of dbraiki's piazza before he became the owner you will see the Gemini in the background. Took myself, nick (old owner) and another guy about an hour with metal sledge hammers to totally destroy the thing lol.

*Yes I have destroyed a lot of Geminis as a fun pastime*
Madcat

Post by Madcat »

A convertable Piazza sounds fun :rolleyes: .

Jim
I have opposable thumbs I WILL prevail

88 Trooper, soon to be turbo. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941780

89 Impulse Turbo. 3.5L 6VE-1 swap in progress. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941760
graham

Post by graham »

i think your missing a rear number plate too im no expert on new zealand traffic law but that might not be quite road legal, other than that it looks like a good summer runabout no need to watercool the engine its getting plenty of ventalation and you can get a wicked suntan with that "open air" look to the car, always the innovator, im proud to call you dad :finga:
I have two piazzas, one on each side of the world.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

once the centre pillar was removed the entire middle of the car buckled and twisted out of shape with all of the doors popping open lol.
How about this, the last one i cut up when I took the roof off I left the windscreen frame and doors in place and it looked really nice as a convertible. When I took the doors off I expected it to fold but it didn't. I decided to see how much it would take to bend it and no matter how much i danced on it i couldn't shift it. When I lifted the motor out i sat it on the floor right in the middle and STILL it wouldn't bend. The sill shape and tunnel shape and structure is so rigid I reckon it wouldn't need much to get a cert for a convertible conversion. Then of course you have the hassle of getting a rag top that would look good. No problem if money is no object I suppose but I'm not in that league.

However many congratulations to you for destroying the odd Gemini, I got nothing against them or their owners, I used to have one myself a few years ago and it was a rocket ship but it is important to keep a balance for all the Piazzas that have been sacrificed for Gemini upgrades.

I have to own up here that Madmike and I did part out a Piazza JR130 that really should have been saved but sometimes you can't avoid it. The others I have killed have been beyond all hope. None of the parts recovered have gone to anything other than another Piazza or tucked away in our respective sheds for future use.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Had some pics off the Piazza as a convertible. The design off the car is just so right for it, it's a shame the never made a production model. Would be impossible to get one street legal here in Norway, and building a trackday car as a rag top just don't make sence. Maybe somebody in a country where single car aproval is easier could pick up that ball?

Tommy
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

wedgenut wrote: How about this, the last one i cut up when I took the roof off I left the windscreen frame and doors in place and it looked really nice as a convertible. When I took the doors off I expected it to fold but it didn't. I decided to see how much it would take to bend it and no matter how much i danced on it i couldn't shift it. When I lifted the motor out i sat it on the floor right in the middle and STILL it wouldn't bend. The sill shape and tunnel shape and structure is so rigid I reckon it wouldn't need much to get a cert for a convertible conversion. Then of course you have the hassle of getting a rag top that would look good. No problem if money is no object I suppose but I'm not in that league..

I still rekon you would end up with a heap of skuttle shake.

The rear end was harsh enough as it is let alone removing the roof.

I gutted the one i got off Roy a month back. Once you strip it down the body shell itself weighs stuff all.

Most hatch designe cars dont look too good as convertibles. You need more a two door with a boot to pull it off or the rag top ruins the cars lines.

Bob
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Yeah the Gemini sills have really thin steel for all 3 layers (0.8mm i think) where the Piazza inner layer looks heaps thicker maybe up to 2mm? I've chopped B pillars out of Geminis at the wreckers for fun and they flex so bad..

Dunno about convertibles not really a fan, how about a Piazza ute?
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

how about a Piazza ute?
Don't laugh but I did think about using the arse of the piazza and making a matching wellside type trailer out of it but then i thought that would look really gay and i don't want no chutney shovers coming up to me and saying OOH! NAICE TRAILER
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Piazza trailer lol

Oh yeah I remember seeing on motorway patrol someone who was driving around a car with the roof chopped off with an angle grinder, still had a windscreen though. Can't remember what car it was, Ford laser or someshit.
Cops were like "whires ur roof ey bro, i'm gonna hif ta penk steckir thes!"
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Was that a bronze/gold/poo brown Piazza???

Cant be a very common colour.

You could make one up as a car show cruiser. Nothing above the glass line except for heads. lol

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Yep Bob Bronze metallic officially but poo brown more accurate. The boys turbo is much nicer in a gold colour which is also not that common but both were definitely original factory colours. I suspect the Poo brown was the first attempt at gold and it went wrong so all the little slants stood around saying "ah so, hoo shit in paint?" So having missed the point entirely that this was a question and not a statement of fact they all went off and poked Hoo's eyes out and started again.

His car is a 1984 which is the earliest I have seen with the 4zc1-T. It was imported in 1990 from the land of the rising sun. Much nicer now it has a gear stick.