Scissor lift 'Lambo' doors

Talk about anything and everything
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Well 2 weeks ago I picked up rodavo's ex Piazza and drove it straight to Concord Customs in Silverwater (Sydney) for their opinion on performing the Lambo door conversion. Concord Customs are the prefered installers for the AutoLoc hinges, which are manufactured by the Hoffman Group in the States. The boys there took a good look at the existing hinge area and said no way. Not without extensive modification to the fender and sub-frame. The problem is that there is simply not enough space between the two to squeeze the massive heavy AutoLoc hinges, which are made of about 10mm solid steel. These hinges are regarded as one of the best becsuse of their quality, strength, and durability. Oh and did I neglect to say they were massive?

Needless to say my grand plan was shot down even before it got started. When I think back to that red Japanese Piazza with the Lambo doors I'm thinking the hinges on that car could NOT have been of high quality, and would have been more prone to more wobbling around in the air. In other words those hinges would have been of poor strength. When you look closely at the pictures you will also see that the doors don't open 90deg either.

Anyway I've moved on and doing other things instead. Finishing where rodavo left off is one if those things. The car is at the mechanics getting that work done.
vinnie55

Post by vinnie55 »

Ah damn..... I had a similar Idea, which archangel62 shot down in flames.
But yeah, It's a bit dissapointing to know that the professionals who would do it propperly have said no.

Now on to more realistic ideas :)

so you have the silver beast now?
Awesome, how's she been treating you?
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

I drove it from Sydney to Canberra and straight to my mechanic's workshop. I don't want it back until all of the work is complete. If I took it home and did the work myself it would take me forever with the lack of spare time up my sleeve. To that I say no way. Can't wait to get it back though and get some pics posted. I might get a pic of the car at whilst at the workshop. Good idea Vinnie. Why didn't I think of that ? :)
vinnie55

Post by vinnie55 »

haha, awesome, I look foward to seeing the pictures.

I wish I could get some more of mine done at a workshop, but money is tight.
left hand indicator nolonger works.... can't afford to fix that.....
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Photos taken, but no time to upload. Will do that soon. Blasted Imageshack app for my iPhone only allows me to view my uploaded images. Otherwise I would have done it sooner.