Piazza_man project

Talk about anything and everything
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Just thought I show you the actual car that hood and grille infill panel (and Isuzu badge) that I bought is coming from. I tracked this one in Idaho and with the help of Skrilla the parts are about to be delivered to a shipping container and ready for shipping to Oz. Big ups to Skrilla for his tremendous help. I couldn't have done it without you mate.

Even though there is some frontal damage the infill panel still appears to be intact.
Last edited by Piazza_man on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skrilla

Post by Skrilla »

Glad I can help,this is what keeps the community going. I called the junkers today and told them you well be taking over from here.
If you boost it,they will run!!
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Following on from my PMs with izu069 re the passenger side window regulator i learnt stuff.Here's a pic of the offending reg:
I learnt that the problem i had is common on Piazza's and seems to be more prevalent on the passenger side (most probably due to the plastic bits becoming brittle with lack of use). Here's the common problem:
There should be a clip gripping the cable. The picture shows most of the clip broken off. So now I've gone and done stuff. Pete had a solution that someone else did using a rivet and a prayer. Not the biggest of fans going down this route but I was nearly going to try until I found this mob in Moorebank, Sydney called Electric Life
http://www.powerwindows-sydney.communityguide.com.au/

The end result is this:
This is a generic clip that inserts straight in. Problem solved.

Not sure if the next bit is a common problem but if you turn the window reg over you'll see little white plastic toungs loosely clamping around the metal rail. Two of the four tounges on mine had also broken off. Electric Life also took care of that too:

One thing is for sure- I won't have a problem with this reg any more.

I hope this helps other Piazza owners who want to have their window regs fixed. Btw I also learned you can still order a new original window motor, but the rest of the window reg and plastic bits cannot be sourced new.

Now you have been learned. :rolleyes:
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Next on the agenda was to remove the window tinting. I don't know how long they were on there but the stuff is now purple and some areas had bubbles, and other areas had ripples.
I removed the two rear quarter windows via the 3 screws on each side. I then discovered perished and broken rubber washers that are important to effectively sandwich the glass and stop water from entering, and to cushion/protect the glass from breakage when you tighten the screws back up.

Knowing I had buckleys finding original items I eventually found Southern Plumbing Plus who had what I needed. The new rubber washers were almost perfect replacement fit for the washer recess (see photo above). I say 'almost' because the overall diameter of the rubber washer is a fraction of a millimetre too big, but by pressing down on the edges a little bit you can seat the washers properly. Problem solved. For anyone interested part number is HOC00 (Rubber washer 13mm for h/shower hose etc). At 44c each a total bargain.

I bought 6 washers for each side of the car. 3 go on the inside of the glass (as pictured) and I put 3 on the outside of the glass to create a true sandwich, seal, and cushion result. I wasn't sure if the domed nut on the outside of the glass was meant to have a rubber washer. When I pulled mine off none of them had the washers, but I suspect they may have perished and disintegrated long ago.

Anyway the un-tinted glass went back on the car and I'm more than happy with the result. I decided to leave my windows un-tinted. I think it looks better that way.
IPTOC
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by IPTOC »

Guys,

Just FYI, the window regulators ARE still available, you just have to know what part number to order them under. I have new LH and RH ones in stock here, GBP55.00 each. The motor needs to be swapped, but other than that, they're complete.

Hats off to Dennis with his detective work, the crew at Electric Life seem to have really delved into solving common issues with cheap, crappy window regulator mechanisms. I would definitely be interested to hear of the prices and availability of the generic centre clip and the slider replacements as I have a bundle of regs here that could be refurned in the blink of an eye at very small cost I think? Obviously, there is no substitute for fitting new parts, but recycling in this fashion is to be admired.

I think Wedgie has a load of old Piazza regs propping up one corner of his NZ treehouse too . . .

:)
1988 Isuzu Piazza HBL Auto - Ebony Black
1988 Isuzu Piazza HBL Manual - Romanesque Silver
1851 Cellar chock full of Isuzu spares!!
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Yep, I have a few but I think I have ditched most of my broken italian inspired cable clip type. I default to fitting the older rack style which don't break...ever! Yes they are a little noiser in operation but who atually cares about whether the window going up and down is noisy?
So many cars, so little cash
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

To repair my window reg cost me AU$150. That got me the generic clip, new cabling (which wasn't necessary but done as a precaution with the new stopper crimped on), and the custom guides remanufactured. If you look closely how the guides were done you will see that it is not hard to do yourself. All they did was find a couple of L-shape brackets and some polyethylene pieces lying around and screw them down.

I'll find out what those generic clips cost, but I'd say it probably cost a couple of bucks. The rest would go towards the labour of recabling and custom guides.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Regarding your efforts on the hinge and lock pin rubbers on your rear quarter glasses. They are actually called "grommets", trot along tp your local GM dealer and ask him for some, they were used on Pick ups with double cabs etc on the rear side windows as well as piazzas so they should recognise the part number. See attached
sketch

So many cars, so little cash
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Thanks for the heads up. I knew I should have checked with you first. Anyway I'm still happy with the outcome. I'll get some grommets when these ones perish.
vinnie55

Post by vinnie55 »

I did something similar with the grommets. Rick Ludgate offered me the OEM parts for about $30 for memory, but i ended up getting some little rubber grommets in repco that fit almost perfectly (with a bit of persuasion - the hardest one to reach was a two man job)
IPTOC
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by IPTOC »

@eyecon that's interesting. AUD150 roughly equals GBP100, so that makes the new, genuine regulators I have here seem very cheap. I've currently got three of each side, but more are available to order.

Still interested in those generic clips though, a very interesting and neat solution indeed.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

IPTOC wrote:@eyecon that's interesting. AUD150 roughly equals GBP100, so that makes the new, genuine regulators I have here seem very cheap. I've currently got three of each side, but more are available to order.

Still interested in those generic clips though, a very interesting and neat solution indeed.
Yeah I know, very cheap for genuine regulators. I might get a RH one for when that one goes. I believe that got repaired somehow from the previous owner, but I can tell the LH now works a little better than the RH side. Since I'm already ordering some stuff off you I might as well get this as well to save on postage if I can.
IPTOC
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by IPTOC »

Anything to save a few dollars, the killer for the regs could be the size, although they do fold in on themselves quite nicely. Will weigh one at the weekend and gauge postage.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Meanwhile do you want me to send you a few of those generic clips. If so how many?
IPTOC
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by IPTOC »

Cool, I would like to try a couple. Once we've sorted the lamps etc., I'll buy a couple from you if that's OK.