Piazza_man project

Talk about anything and everything
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Yeah man. You're a legend. Have you had a chance to see if is there much difference between your new T5 shifter and the one I got?
ImpulseRocket89

Post by ImpulseRocket89 »

I did, and there isn't much of a difference; The upper portion on mine is round and the Steeda isn't lol. They weight about the same, same basic dimensions on the lower plate. Materials and machining wise the steeda unit is just a tad bit better, but not enough for it to matter or me to care. Either one is a good shifter.
1988 Isuzu Impulse Turbo.
2005 Ford Crown Victoria LX

RIP 1989 Impulse Turbo, aka "Rakete"
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Well that's good to hear and I wasn't expecting them to be too much different, but I can't wait to be using the offset lever, as I'm sure you'll be on yours.
ImpulseRocket89

The one I got actually didn't come with an offset lever, just one that was angled back a bit. The Steeda lever arm will bolt to it though and I can get one for $25 locally if I decide I want that over this one. I am going to go based off of feel.

As an interesting point, height wise the offset and my current lever arm are exactly the same. so the throw distance really shouldn't be any different lol.

The only thing I am working out is how to encase the lower half of the shifter to protect the ball from dirt exposure. I think I am going to build a simple box out of sheet metal to enclose it and have a rubber grommet for the linkage arm to pass through. - which is essentially what the factory impulse shifter had.

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Can the Impulse grommet still be used? Sounds like a silly question but since my rebuilt Impulse box is back in the car, and I'm still awaiting delivery of my other Impulse quadrant shifter this week to complete my 2.6 MUA build, I can't answer this for myself.
ImpulseRocket89

possibly, but the T5 shifter plate mount is bigger than the Impulse by quite a bit. you are probably going to have to fabricate part of your bracket to mount it. However, I believe the lower part could be made to work easily enough. I considered that myself.

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

ImpulseRocket89

Hmmm, I have never even seen that before. The bolt pattern looks wrong at the rear to me, but if it was that would be an easy fix. I would probably make some kind of simple ring to help clamp it down. along the edges.

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Sounds like I should get that too then.
ImpulseRocket89

Well, I was all excited today, and was going to ship you your care package,... until I opened the box.

Both of them are messed up as you can tell by the pictures below. One is the right height on the back side of the pulley and lines up at the Alt/Water pump belt, and the first V-belt is in alignment, but the second one is way off. Second pulley is even worse (on the left). It's too tall at the back of the pulley, and the grooves on the Alt seem a little too narrow, but otherwise the pulley spacing is perfect. I am going to call him tomorrow and demand to know what is going on, and if he doesn't agree to re-make both of them I am going to file a services no rendered to get our money back. This is total bullshit. He had the stock pulley right there to go off of...how could he do THIS badly?

Last edited by ImpulseRocket89 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

You're right. Absolute shit result given they had the original to begin with. Also please check the diameters of the new pulleys. They appear to be way more than the 20-25% reduction that we were aiming for. The new pulleys look about 40% smaller than the original. I wonder what diametre Soren has on his set-up?
ImpulseRocket89

Diameter wise they are pretty much the exact same size as Sorens in diameter, which would make them about a 30-35% under drive. I will measure the diameters and do the math in a little bit. I am actually OK with this size, although it is definitely small, it's not detrimental. I may go try to find a smaller alternator pulley that will work, but it should be ok.

ImpulseRocket89

I looked at both of them more closely with the stock one. The second on actually does line up on all three pullies, but there is too much material on the beck end of it, so when it would be installed it would stick out too far. The first one though is simply wrong on the third V-belt position. I have a friend who said that he could most likely fix the first one with his mill, or take it to a lathe at his work. So if if worse comes to worse I can have that one brought down to where it should be and send it to you.

EDIT: I measured them using a bit of string. Rough diameter of the stock pulley at the water pump/alt section is 17.25" or 438.15mm, the two we had made are 12" or 304.8mm. By my math that is a 30% reduction in diameter (or, 70% the size of the origional one). The AC and PS V-belt pullies are actually less of an under-drive than that (around 20-25%)

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Is it not too late to request mine to be around the 20% range? I figure I won't be pushing it hard around a race track, so I won't be in the top end of the rev range all that often. If it's going to pose a problem for them then leave it at the 30%. No big deal.

I'm in no hurry for the pulley anyway, so the fixable one can be yours mate if you need it. But I can't wait to anodise the sucker when I get it.
ImpulseRocket89

Well, he called me back and after talking with him he said to send all three back to him and he will shorten up the on that is too tall on the back side so it will line up. He did have a little trouble understanding what I mean't about the first one not lining up right on the last V-belt position so I am going to send him some pictures with some measurements to show him what I mean. It will most likely have to be re-made, and I can try to put in your request when he calls me back on it.