IR89 - back in action.

Talk about anything and everything
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

They look like Gemini stubs, threads in the caliper mount and smaller diameter inner bearing and seal?
What's the advantage of going 5x100? There's heaps of wheels available in 4x100 and the right offset these days.
ImpulseRocket89

Post by ImpulseRocket89 »

No machining needed to the spindles. They are a direct replacement to the factory units.

Yes, the spinde shaft is a tiny bit smaller so the bearings and seals are different. I have to use all of the Fiero hardware in this instance, and obviously custom brakes ( I planned on that anyway ). The only real difference between the two is the caliper mounting pattern is narrower on the Fiero, but again not concerned about that.

This is a couple of comparison shots another member of the zone did between the two.

Yes, I would like to keep that thicker spindle shaft, but I see no problems arising from it in any case. The only other solution I can think of would bet to machine out the inner part of the Fiero hub to work on the Impulse spindle with the Impulse bearings and seals. Or have custom hubs machined (expensive).

Why 5 lug? Overall it is just stronger, and I would rather just not take the chances. I could stay 4 lug, and I may still stay with a 4 lug pattern. I just wanted to get the drop on these spindles in case I decided to use them. They were $35 for the pair.

As far as wheel options, there are some choices, but going with the diameter and width I want with the offsets needed, there is actually not very much to choose from. 5x100 just opens a few more doors.
1988 Isuzu Impulse Turbo.
2005 Ford Crown Victoria LX

RIP 1989 Impulse Turbo, aka "Rakete"
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

One advantage of the Fiero stubs looks to be that it's much thicker on the part which goes up to the upper balljoint which is where my left original one bent after it popped a lower balljoint.

Just had a look at bearing part numbers, the inner bearing is the same OD between Fiero/Gemini/Piazza despite the difference in ID. So you should be able to put Piazza wheel bearings into a Fiero hub and install it onto a Piazza stub axle.

If using the Fiero ones something to watch out for before ordering tie rod ends is the taper, it's different between Gemini and Piazza so the Fiero one could be the same as the Gemini.
ImpulseRocket89

Good info on the bearing differences/similarities. I will check that out sometime here in the future to see if it works.

As far as the tie rod taper goes, I will look into that too. I actually have a a couple of tie rod ends in a box. I just have to unbury the box.

ImpulseRocket89

Well, slight update. Got some more of the parts in, and this time from your side of the world. My flywheel is stuck at the post office, so I have to go pick it up, but the rest of it was neatly tucked in my mail box.

This is good top quality work, and I couldn't be happier with what I have received.

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Pm sent mate re pulley. Btw what's that puck looking thing on the bottom left of the pic?
ImpulseRocket89

eyecon wrote:Pm sent mate re pulley. Btw what's that puck looking thing on the bottom left of the pic?
The puck is a distributor cover for a 4ze1 dizzy. It's just something other than a distributor cap to cover the optical wheel and sensor for an EMS system. I could have just used an old cap, but I figured I would order it along with everything else since it wasn't that expensive.

Oh, and I picked up my flywheel. I did a top and bottom comparison, and I also stacked one on the other. It is definitely lighter by a few lbs, even without the ring gear on it to compare.

ImpulseRocket89

A couple more little things. I ordered a Perrin steering column gauge pod, and gave it a little test fit. Aside from blocking the view of the voltage gauge on the factory cluster and the trip reset switch it's perfect. There is enough room on the column too that the trip switch shouldn't even be an issue.

Remember that Rostra cruise control kit I was talking about a page or two ago? That arrived as well. I must admit that I was a little surprised by the size of the solenoid, but considering it is a vacuum-less system it has to be fairly strong. The wiring is simple enough and well labled, to be used and it even comes with a couple of in-line fuses. It also appears that I should be able to hook up the cable in the same way as the factory system through the firewall. I am thinking to mount it up where the old turbo control unit solenoid was located, but I will have to see.

ImpulseRocket89

Finally (YES FINALLY) started to do a little work. I finally got a chance to spend a few hours out in the garage today, so I cleaned up my little corner of the world and started to put it together. Still need to setup my work bench and a few tools, but so far so good.

Gratuitous flying Impulse picture.

Just a little up the nose shot. It's not perfect but not bad either.

My 37* Flare tool came in today and my coils of 1/2" and 3/8" stainless tubing arrive tomorrow so I can start figuring out my fuel system. Taking the pump hanger and level sending unit out and cleaning it up, and dropping the tank off to be cleaned and sealed for E85 use. I just need to figure out what style of AN fittings to run at different junctions and order them. I also need to order a fuel filter with AN ends as well.

Aside from all of the dirt, this car never stops amazing me at how solid it is underneath. Granted, the constant rain of dirt and sand in my face wasn't too fun, but I am used to that now lol.

I have 7 gallons of this that came out of the tank. Now that I am sufficiently high on gas fumes....

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Under carrage looks in good condition. I guess that fuel would have been crap anyway if it was sitting there for how long? About 2 years? Less? What do need to do to the tank to get it E85 ready?
ImpulseRocket89

That fuel is nearly 8 years old. The undercarriage is about 95% from perfect. It's quite pleasing to work on a car where I don't have to swear at every other bolt.

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Was swearing the case with 'Rakete'?
ImpulseRocket89

Ok, I went outside to strip the tank down. I go to take out the pump and hanger assembly and I find the last thing I ever would have expected....

To say I am surprised is an understatement. Considering how long this fuel sat in the tank.

Of course, after that pleasant surprise I wind up discovering that the fuel level sending unit mounting screws are so bad that three rounded out despite my efforts to be careful. I guess you can't have everything be perfect... sigh.

Skrilla

Post by Skrilla »

Good to see this project up and running
If you boost it,they will run!!
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

ImpulseRocket89 wrote:...Considering how long this fuel sat in the tank.
That's the advantage of leaving fuel in the tank.

LOL - does anyone remember the days when the advice was to "drain carbies BEFORE leaving for long periods..." to avoid stale fuel problems? And that was when we still had leaded petrol (which tends not to stale unlike unleaded which can smell like turpentine after a few months...) as told to people going on holidays for as little as 1 month.
Ah yes, another one of those great cons designed to keep people employed and rip off the common people.
And though I have seen cars start with 10 year old leaded petrol, I have seen the same with 2 year old stinky unleaded.

Alas the one warning is for metal tanks. Collected moisture will condense as water on the fuel surface and cause the tank to rust through at that level. I have a 1972 GT 750 Ducati in the shed with a steel tank...

Not that I like storing and later handling oil & grease covered engines & gearboxes and metal parts, I have learned it's better cleaning WHEN I finally need to use them - unless I clan first AND cover with some suitable coating (clean oil or oiled rages, sheep lanolin, etc).

As to old bullsh spouse-tales, most know I still battle them. Hence the occasional dig at brushing teeth AFTER eating; oil-pressure controlled fuel pump relays; dc-dc converters to charge aux vehicle batteries; babies avoiding peanuts; etc.
Oh - and PR91W chassis numbers for GT-R Belletts... LOL!
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.