Talk about anything and everything
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Ouch. How bad was the finger injury?
ImpulseRocket89

Post by ImpulseRocket89 »

I've had worse, but where it's at really sucks lol. My right index finger at the cuticle. My finger lost the battle with the 14mm impact socket on my 700ft-lb generating impact wrench when the U-joint decided it needed to fling it. It tore off a moderate flap of skin that I cut most of it away, but there is still a small flap hanging on. I tried to clean it as best as I could, but it hurts like hell to touch it and its swollen up pretty good now. Then of course the blood blister under the nail right at the base of the nail root just for added discomfort.

1988 Isuzu Impulse Turbo.
2005 Ford Crown Victoria LX

RIP 1989 Impulse Turbo, aka "Rakete"
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Yuk. Looks like your nail could come off.
ImpulseRocket89

nah, it should be ok. Most of the force hit the side of my finger instead of the nail itself. It will still hurt like hell for a week though lol

ImpulseRocket89

I have a little bit more to remove under the rear of the car, but for the most part it is nearly clear of everything. Now I just have to figure out the next step, which is cleaning up the rust and removing the old undercoating. As far as the rust I planned on using a wire wheel on my angle grinder for most of it, and either a small one on my drill for nooks and crannies or the old fashioned way with sand paper where neither can reach. Then I was going to treat the underside with POR-15 or some other type of rust converter/sealer. Then once the underside was done give it a coat of bedliner coating or paint if the bedliner is a bad idea.

I took some pictures of most of the rust that I found.
Drivers side rear rocker area, which is probably the worst spot on the car.

Drivers side front rocker area, which ironically is probably the best spot of both rockers.

Passengers rear rocker. Note the rust along the floor pan seam to the rocker area. This has me worried a little on both sides. I am hoping it is just surface rust, but I have a feeling I am in for a nasty surprise when I take the rocker panel covers off.

Drivers Front. Front Frame section has some surface rust pretty bad in one spot, and I believe a little inside it. I will most likely buy a spray can with a hose to get inside these areas.

My rear bumper frame/support is probably the worst piece on the entire car. One mount bolt is so corroded I can't even tell its a bolt. That should be a blast to get out of there. :axe:

Last but not least there are a few spots like this under the car, and other areas where the undercoating was chipped away and surface rusted.

I am trying to look for a way to remove that undercoating that doesn't require ten thousand hours of my life under the car with an angle grinder and wire wheel in awkward positions. I am definitely open to suggestions for this or anything else as far as treating the rust goes.

ImpulseRocket89

Oh, and I did turn up something I may just have to try for removing the undercoating. It won't get it all, but that looks like it will save me a lot of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... zv38W1DDic

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I wonder how quickly it would come off with a sand blaster?
1986 Piazza - 1984 Piazza
1986 Heron MJ1
www.mvpc.co.nz www.ihwedding.co.nz
ImpulseRocket89

No idea, but hiring a media blaster is fairly expensive, and it would have to all be done in my garage packed full of stuff that isn't mine that can't be moved out to make space.

I already looked at that option, which is why I am looking elsewhere.

ImpulseRocket89

I didn't realize how expensive custom pistons had gotten recently. Admittedly, I added a couple of options, such as accumulator grooves and reduced skirt profile, but with the rings (94mm, which is supposedly an odd size) and "uber" wrist pins included they cost $100 more than my rods. Admittedly, they are being made out of 2618 alloy - which is a non-silicon based alloy - on the suggestion of the engineers so I can run tighter clearances with my high boost pressures. The accumulator grooves were also recommended by them.

I am just glad that I could finally get them ordered. I've been waiting long enough.

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Who's pistons have you gone for?
ImpulseRocket89

100% Custom JE Pistons, built around the exact specs I gave them. 30+psi, 8.5:1 compression, E85 fuel, etc etc. Which is why they are made to the specs they have been made to...but ouch.

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Good choice. I take it you considered going to 2.7lt route? I sort of have my heart set on going 2.7 myself.
ImpulseRocket89

I am doing a 94mm bore, if that is what you mean. That puts me on the big side of 2.6L at 2637.3cc's

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Yep that's what I meant.
ImpulseRocket89

With writing a paper for one class and my math getting even more difficult I have found myself with less time than I would like, but I still managed to eek in a few hours this weekend to get some work done/started on this car. Saturday I ended up spending 4 hours cleaning the garage and removing a bunch of garbage and moving a lot of the factory parts I am never using again into a big tote and a couple of boxes, and then stuffed everything in the corner to make room around the car. With the little bit of time I had left I decided to strip the side mouldings off the car, which are not going back on, and then dismantled my new head for a trip to the machine shop.

I spent about an hour and a half tonight starting to take the interior out of the car. The front seats are out and now I can do a little mod work to them to get them lower down and further back so my tall ass fits better - ala Eyecon seat mod :rock: , and I also removed the center console sections along with them. Removed the rear seat, seat belts, spare tire, and then the carpeting/sound proofing/insulation, for their short trip to the bin of "never going back in the car". I would have liked to have gotten more done, but removing the carpeting took a long time thanks to the million little screws and small trim pieces that had to be removed. Yes, that is a Hello Kitty shifter boot, from Japan no less, on my center console. The previous owners wife was from Japan and decided it needed some "touches". I found a few other JDM goodies in the car too, such as some hand warmers, and a cat air freshener (wtf).

I am hoping that I can squeeze in a couple of hours every night this week and finish up with the interior removal at least. I have to take my time with a lot of the plastic parts as they are a little brittle thanks to sun damage and general old age. If I can get that done I am going to start taking the body panels off of the car. in prep for doing a little body work, wiring, etc. The whole nose of the car has to come off for a lot of it.

Not to get ahead of myself, but I also think I am going to lay down some kind of marine grade carpet and dye the cloth on the interior panels, both black, to kind of update the car on the inside. I may leave the vinyl the color that it already is, but who knows. I never was a fan of vinyl painting. yes, not very racecar, I know lol. I may just put carpet up front and leave the door panels on and leave it bare behind the front seats.

If you were curious as to why I am stripping the interior out now too, it's because I had to get to the E-brake handle to remove that end of the cable...I figured while I was there..... :yawinkle: Well that, and with my pistons about to show up, so my engine is coming back out to get stripped down to the short block and sent off to the machine shop with the above head. Trans is being dropped out also to be replaced with the "new" one I grabbed (housing actually mates together properly). This will also clear up room under the car to strip the underside, etc.