The Curse of the Piazza Part II

Talk about anything and everything
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

The Curse of the Piazza Part II

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Most would probably remember my first post, where my newly aquired Piazza turbo left me stranded and kept dieing on the way home from picking it up, or where the windows decided to wind themselves down at 110kmh making an already soaked and cold Me even colder. Or the fact that the heater didnt work. Or the fact i got lost. But i got it home, what could possibly go wrong right? Hah!

I start by prepping the body for a paintjob slowly-slowly. Decided to turn my attention to mechanicals, where i compression test the engine [160psi in all 4, good] and change the spark plugs to some new ones i had lieing around from my old weber-fed G161. Anyway, all this start-warmup-movedowndriveway routine is part of me spraying the car as im constantly turning it around to make it easier to work on. Lately its developed abit of a misfire, abit like the misfire when the battery loses its voltage but a quick glance at the volts gauge on the dash reveals everythings ok. Hrm. So i decide ill rip the plugs out for a sec, see whats going on. And im faced with this - a 2-3week old spark plug thats only been in the engine ON 5 times.

Basically all four were ROOTED beyond beleif. The fact i havent even DRIVEN the car was abit of a cause for concern, let alone the fact that it wasnt a powdery black [rich mixture] colour, moreso a gloss black colour. With abit of help from Bugle [cheers bloke, it was staring me in the face the whole time i just didnt pay attention to it] ive found the source of the problem, and its not something i wanted to see. Blown compressor cover seal.

I first noticed the oil on the comp cover housing when i first looked at the car however i didnt worry about it too much as the car hit boost fine, went good, made no noises what so ever and didnt smoke at all. The pool of oil in the air filter box worried me slightly but i didnt think much of it because the car went fine. I now know otherwise.

So basically i have hit abit of a pothole. My budget is running thin, and this is something that has to be repaired. Think about it - if it fouled 4 brand new plugs so quickly, i have no chance of keeping this thing running on the road. The turbo needs fixing, which is my next problem.

If i can fix the RBH5 with a new seal i will do it; getting another second handy is not an option as it will more or less end up like this one. Rebuilding it is also not an option - $$$$, and its still a shit heap.

Next idea was to fit a bigger turbo - say a T28 or a T03, but with this i need mods to the manifold, exhaust, cooler pipes etc etc. More hassles then its worth. So, i guess ive kind of reached a desicion then.

If it cant be fixed then it will be up for sale. I doubt ill get what ive spent on it, which is more of a problem but i cant afford to keep it. Its a fucked situation. The only thing that sits in my mind is if i fix it, what goes next? Bottom end? Clutch? Gearbox? Diff? This is probably the worst possible desicion i couldve made since buying the BMW - rushing into buying a Piazza. For someone thats supposedly mechanically minded i can be so stupid. Anyway, im off to my corner to cry and whinge. This setback isnt something i needed - if i DO end up fixing it, it pretty much means i wont be making my way to Sydney if all goes ahead.

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Stop your sooking little boy or i'll come up there and give you something to cry about. I mean, bloody hell.

In the time it took you to sook, you could have sorted your problem. Sure you might have had to budget a few bills, but it would be fixed.

Shitney???? Why on hells earth would you want to go up there??? Its a stoopid place to go to even if you have to go there, let alone voulenteer to go. The traffic is stupid, the roads and where they go are even more stupid. Its like another world, the dont even know what a potato cake is ffs. Stay here and fix your car, your not missing much.

Paint your car all pretty, and then fix the other stuff.

Oh i nearly forgot. What brand of spark plug where the new 4????? Were they the exact same heat range that came out of it???

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

LOL settle bob. Its my party and ill cry if i want to.

THe four that fouled over where Champion NY9C's - These are Gemini plugs if you havent realised. They werent that bad when i pulled the originals out so i got abit worried. The turbos definately fucked but itll do for now. Its got NGK's in it atm, well see how foul-resistant they are.

As for sydney, its the Piazza cruise bob :supz:

Nick-
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

My NGK plugs are pretty good after driving with the leaking turbo should be ok..
Also get a new turbo outlet rubber that doesn't leak!
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

The rubbers arent that over the top from holden. I dont think i got the outlet for mine. I got the inlet and they were about $7 ea from memory. The gaskets are pretty expensive but you can only get the gear from Holden.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
piazza-crx
APC Member
APC Member

Post by piazza-crx »

You'll find that every single one of us here has put more $$ into our cars than we'll ever get back! (im estimating ive put nearly 3 1/2 grand into mine not counting the purchase of the car...).

Join the club nick :D
Last edited by piazza-crx on Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If Gemini's were ever meant to go fast, they would have come out of the factory with 4zc1t engines!!

Business CD Solutions
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Money isnt the problem - if i had it is. Your speaking to a nutcase that spent $5200 on getting the rust repaired and a full bare metal respray on a Gemini. I like doing things once and once only, unfortunately i dont have money lieing around to fix this car which is why im whinging and why i may have to sell. I need a car desperately to get to work and back. So yeah..

It drives as is, just not well any more. Now i know WHY i barely pulled away from my own BMW being driven by my mate, or why it no longer flings the ass out on flatshifting into second. Its not making as much power as it used to and its the turbos fault. Id love to throw a T25G or a T28 on there but its that time/budget factor thats killing me.

Well see how everything pans out.

OH, and I saw a silver Turbo on Punt Rd today driven by a woman. Any idea blokes?

Nick-
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Bob I had to buy one cost $40 I think which seems a bit over the top :)

Nick just buy a cheap rusty Gemini with some rego on it for transport until you get the Piazza running good.
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Yeah Thomas ive thought about that, but the parents have said definately not, and one of them needs to go either on the road or go away. Its all touch and go atm. I was supposed to be using the gf's Brothers 200B sedan but he went and blew the diff in it so there goes that idea.

So yeah..not happy.

Nick-