Talk about anything and everything
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Silly!!! Silly!!! Beverly hill billies.

Post by Rodeobob »

We is off to the country ma.

Bob.
Last edited by Rodeobob on Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

LOL your a tripper. That the jackaroo chassis?

Whats happening with the Rodeo Dual Cab? It looks neater then the space cab, makes me wonder why you dont 2.6 that instead of the spacey.

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Nah Space cab is better. At least you can put a good load in the back of the Space cab.

They are both about the same. The Space cab just looks shit coz of the ruber strips and the paint. Will look sweet once its all painted up and suitably lowered a little more and had the torsion bars turned to stiffen it up again.

Bob.

wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Jeez Bob that is a bit radical, most normal people only carry a spare wheel and a can of piss, a spare chassis is a bit over the top, in fact it looks about 4 feet over the top :finga:
So many cars, so little cash
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

I is a silly silly boy.

A word of warning, dont load a trailer that way. This is what happens.

And this

As soon as i got up to road speed i knew it was a wobbly one. I should have turned around and gone home and had a rethink. But i thought slow and steady would do it. Ive gone straight ahead on Boundary rd instead of turning right to go to Deer Park. Plan was to hit the Werribee to Melton rd and plod along to the Western freeway. Doing 60 on the gravel and taking it steady. Had to get over a bit for an oncoming car then up over a bit of a crest and its strated winding up. Told the Missus to hang on, as the trailer whipped out to the right the back wheels on the ute have lost grip and around it all went trailer going back to the left, rear of the ute sliding right. Its a weird sensation being the driver with no control. Knowing whats going to happen eventually.
Lucky it was a bit soft on the side of the road, the tyres bit in and it all pulled up pretty quick. One hell of a ride i can tell you. I was more worried that i was stuck than anything so i hit the key and off i went as soon as it stopped. Spewing i didnt get out and grab a picture. lol.

The A-frame of the trailer has gone under the LH back corner of the ute. You can see where the bumper has slid up the winch mount frame. Nah didnt loose the winch it was taken off long ago. (It was a boat winch that someone thought would do the job but was too small and broke.)
It went right under. So far that its not only bent the tongue down but the front coner of the guard on the ute on the trailer has hit the tub. Not that you can tell from the rust but theres white paint on there.
The front corner of the trailer frame (you can see it with the reflector on it in the first pic in the top post) has smacked the rear wheel on the LHS. Put a nice dent in it too.
Both the RH wheels had gravel and grass and crap jammed between the rim and bead of the tyre. So once i saw that it was turn around and go home. 30 km round trip instead of a 600km round trip.
On the way back home the RH rear tyre went flat. Damn thing cut the side wall. Guess one stone was enough to break the bead. So i had to change that. Dont think you need to see a pic of a flat tyre.
So i got home switched all four wheels for the 14" steelies with the super duper Light truck tyres. I pulled the tongue off and it was the very same unit as the one off the tow bar that was on the white ute on the trailer. So i fitted that onto the ute. The actual tow bar frame is bent up a little on the back of my ute now but it will be ok. Ive got a Hayman Reece one to put on it when i fit the tray up and paint it.
The tongue is actually supposed to be flat.
And the bent bolt is the one from closest to the tow ball.
All is good. Lucky im good at tying stuff on, it didnt budge an inch. I took it off and put it on the other way around. Took it for a test drive and its all sweet. Try again tomorrow.

Too much weight on the rear of the trailer. Who would have thought that a 4x4 front diff would be heavier than a cab and its panels.
Weve (that be all of us who tow it) have had a bit of drama with the trailer being a bit tail happy with larger vehicles. I say larger because its not so much heavier as the Rodeo thats on there now with its tray fitted on its way down from Bendigo gave a fair share of the wobbles behind a Jeep Cheroke. The bed of the trailer could possibly be to short for where the axles are set. Pulsar or Piazza on the trailer front first gives no trouble at all.
Im not sure what to do with it as both extending the deck (which would make the a_frame too short) and moving the axles back are both big jobs.

It only cost me a tyre and a dented rim, oh and no ranting from the missus either. (she told me she shut her eyes)
So i suppose All's well that ends well.
Im glad that no one (including the dog coz hes a person too) was hurt and thats the main thing.

Cheers. Bob.

Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Ouch very lucky could have been alot worse!
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

Hmm lucky nothing worse has happend. Reminds me picking up the red piazza from sydney with a hire trailer. Imagin doing 80 on a freeway and suddenly I cant see the trailer in the rear mirror anymore but I could see it in my driver side window, and before you know it, the commodore was on two wheels.. I know the feeling you get when you have no controll over the car !! Breaking and speeding up makes it worse, steering is impossible, all u can do is, hands off wheel and pray while you have the 5 seconds of life or death... hehe

Scary stuff.
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Yeah sometimes you can pull em out of a "whip". plant the foot and it will pull straight, but it needs to be a well ballanced load. Mine wasnt. I couldnt pull out as i was aproaching an intersection and well the old girl dont have much go. lol.

I hit the brakes once i felt the arse go. Ive got to get me an electronic brake control module to be putting under the dash. That can be of help, slide it up to full and get the brakes on the trailer working, gives it some stability. Im pretty sure the trailer has got the brakes on it.

Its all to do with tow ball weight. You need it to stop the trailer becoming its own pendulum.

I will tell you that Jack knifing a truck is more fun. lol.

Bob.

wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Bob
A few years back I used to do heavy recovery duty on weekends for extra cash and i often got called out to incidents like this. Usually caravans with half the houehold goods piled up in the back before the accident and all over the highway afterwards as modern caravans just disintigrate in any drama. The worst was some poor twat that had his home made BBQ in the caravan consisting of two dozen firebricks and a heavy steel plate. By the time it all came to a halt this van had more holes than a pipe organ. It was destroyed. The old rule of thumb we use is 30 - 40 kg heavy on the bar minimum for sway free towing. Now you can always enlist a hitchiker or two to sit their oversized lycra covered arse on the front of the trailer or be a bit creative. Lash on a couple of 60L plastic drum to the front corners or on the bar A frame if you have room and fill with water to the desired heavy on point.

I used to have a rear engined car that i am too ashamed to reveal the make of and in off road stuff the steering was hopeless so i used to fill the front bit where an engine should be with wine cask bladders filled with water. Take up no room empty when you need the space and easy to fill almost anywhere when needed. I could get up to sixty bladders in it at 3 litres each and that made the sucker positive on the steering. If you don't like water sloshing about you could use sandbags. After all it is only when you get a bastard load that it is a problem so why alter the trailer?

The burning question is was it a single or double hot wash on the daks?
poida
APC Member
APC Member

Post by poida »

The burning question is was it a single or double hot wash on the daks?
Or worse, in the Vinnies bin now?

:finga:
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Nah it was all pretty calm. I think the low speed part helped. Undies were all good. I rekon if i did it again the cook would need new ones, she thought i did it on purpose to stop something worse happening. lol. she knows different now.

Your right about the ball weight.
It was my mistake, i would have thought the cab end of the old ute would weigh more than the bare chassis end with a 4x4 front diff sitting on it. I was wrong. Loaded on around the other way i had no trouble at all at any speed, the poor little ex Shuttle Bus motor could manage.

On the way back i had the Gemini on, engine end first of course and the front wheels about 4" back from the front of the deck. I had the spare motor in the back of the ute. Again no drama, even on the freeway doing 110kmh where it would.

For the record, 190 km from Hamilton to Ballarat (via Carngham) filled it back up with 28.6L of fuel. In my book thats pretty good. 1.8L motor flat to the floor for 2 hrs using 15L per 100km. I can tell ya a few extra gears would be handy, lol. The rattles above 3500rpm were pulling my heart strings. lol.

By the way it went on the return trip id say that the Gemini and extra engine were lighter than the stuff i took up. Bit then i suppose it was night and cooler and not as much wind drag either.

Fuel was 118c ULP when i left melb. In Ballarat on the way down i got "Vortex" PULP for 116c on my way thru. I dont think it made any difference. Its a bit hard to tell seeing as im comparing a load of apples to a load of oranges. I cant test economy either as if the utes sitting around i cant fill it over half, its stinks that bad im sure the fuel is leaking out.

Bob.

wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Fuel was 118c ULP when i left melb. In Ballarat on the way down i got "Vortex" PULP for 116c on my way thru
Lucky Lucky on the fuel prices, our cheapest nasty low octane clunky floor cleaner is 140c thereabouts. Even allowing for exchange rate yours is still cheaper than ours by a long way. Our diesel is cheaper than yours I think, mind you there are road user charges based on KM's travelled to go on top and who wants to drive a tar burner anyway LOL