Fill up tank and lose through carbon canister

Talk about anything and everything
Bartamann
Probationary
Probationary

Fill up tank and lose through carbon canister

Post by Bartamann »

When i fill up the car petrol tank full the petrol comes out of the carbon cannister valve until the car has driven over 40 - 50 kms. Has anyone else experienced this. Three weeks ago i filled up to only find petrol pissing out of the canister and thought this was a one off. Last week i filled up and it did it again. Also i give the car a but of stick here and there and getting 400kms out of a tank, i know it loses a bit when the carbon cannister releases it but what are others getting out of a full tank? I drive it 0-25 1st, 25-45 2nd, 50-60 third and 65 forth. When taking off at lights when i look in the rear view mirror once i hit 60kms the cars are 200 meters or more behind unless a rev head is next to me.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Also i give the car a but of stick here and there and getting 400kms out of a tank
I had mine out last weekend for a 350K run, some motorway, some normal highway traffic and a bit of city stuff. Drove it like it is meant to be driven but didn't exceed speed limits by much and maged to piss off a couple of "not as hot as they thought they were" hatches and a 525 Brown Mans Willie. Lets say average speed of 95-110 km's on the open road and got home with half a tank left from full to the brim. From that I concluded i didn't drive it hard enough :finga:
So many cars, so little cash
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Seems like people are getting decent economy, why do i get the feeling mine is going to drink like an Alchoholic at a wine tasters day? Maybe its just the way i drive...

Honestly though, what do most people get out of a tank? 52L from memory right?

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Honestly though, what do most people get out of a tank? 52L from memory right?
Tank capacity is 58 litres or almost 13 gallons in old money. I would be pissed if i got less than 600 driving like a good boy and being a hoon (Which iI never ever am of course) I would expect at least 450-500. Make sire there isn't a dead possum stuck in your air cleaner or your intercooler isn't blocked. If it has had a stuffed turbo at any stage it might be clogged with oil deposit. In the models here the main air intake is through the inner guard so make sure there isn;t a birds nest up under the mud skirt or anything stupid. Otherwise your timing is way out, ECU is overfuellling it for some reason, maybe faulty AFM or you haven't taken the handbrake off LOL. Seriously, make sure it rolls freely sticking brakes are real bastard on fuel.
So many cars, so little cash
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

I havent filled it up with more then $15 at present, as ive only driven the thing once, just wanted to know what to expect. Im guessing the AFM is WAY out on mine, as the covers been taken off and it has been tampered with at some point.

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Re: Fill up tank and lose through carbon canister

Post by Rodeobob »

Bartamann wrote:When i fill up the car petrol tank full the petrol comes out of the carbon cannister valve until the car has driven over 40 - 50 kms. Has anyone else experienced this. Three weeks ago i filled up to only find petrol pissing out of the canister and thought this was a one off. Last week i filled up and it did it again. Also i give the car a but of stick here and there and getting 400kms out of a tank, i know it loses a bit when the carbon cannister releases it but what are others getting out of a full tank? I drive it 0-25 1st, 25-45 2nd, 50-60 third and 65 forth. When taking off at lights when i look in the rear view mirror once i hit 60kms the cars are 200 meters or more behind unless a rev head is next to me.
Well thats definately not meant to happen.
Id pull the lines off the charcoal canister and find out where they go to. Make sure none of the hoses are blocked. Pull them off at both ends and blow air thru them.

Or it could be that a one way valve is stuck open and letting fuel travel in a direction its not meant too.

I would imagine the workshop manual would have diagrams for the vapour system. Id sjuggest you get one.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.