Can't wait to catch up with this bloke.

Talk about anything and everything
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can't wait to catch up with this bloke.

Post by wedgenut »

Not a million miles from where I am a bloke is racing a Piazza in Club comps and hill climbs, I've met a guy who does mechancial work with him and it is running a 3.6 V6 donk with various other mods. i'm hoping to track him down next time he has it out and will try and get some more info and Pics.
So many cars, so little cash
madmike
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by madmike »

so u found him then!!!

the v6 would be the 3.8 from the commi its a pretty common swap in the us into the us version of the chevette

even thought abot tryin it on my vette

seein as dad has an old 3.8 manual in his commie and he is thinkin of sellin it

wadda u say alex we could rip the tired old motor out out of your blue auto ans ship it down here :butthead:
Sideways by choice!!!!!
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Th phrase "When hell freezes over" good try. Re done turbo on latest project and donkey is a honey so manual conversion under way any day now.
madmike
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by madmike »

bugger!!!

oh well god loves a tryer apparently!!!

i better orginise that heat shield n heater box and get them up to u then
i have spare flywheel n box if u need u were lookin right?

ive just pulled off my turbo again the bloody wastegate was stickin open and was loosin boost so rethink needed

thinkin of puttin external wastegate in not sure yet

hey how many coils did u remove from boys springs?
gonna get into both front n rear on mine
Sideways by choice!!!!!
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

I think I am okay for box but flywheel would be good if it is turbo style and you don't need it, Can't fit g200 flywheel as bolt centres are different. Careful on the springs, you can cut two coils out on the rear but you will need shorter shocks or the springs will flop out when the fuzz man jacks you up. So before you cut yours I have a set already cut you can try before you decide what to do with yours. I reverted back to one coil and it sits and drives well. haven't touched the fronts yet as both his and mine are already quite low. It is only really the back that sits up and begs. The front springs are a six pack of beer before you start and be bloody careful, they are a prick without the special tool no one has. I'm gonna make me one some day. In the meantime I go through the drama of jacking up the car and putting tie downs on the springs as tight as possible and then support the body to let the suspension relax. It is usually still under tension so I remove the inner lower arm pivot bolt with a jack under the arm and let it come down real slow. Putting back is the trick if you have an uncompressed spring, you can close it up in a press and tie it off but you want some protection incase it leaps out of the press, a wire rope or chain tether does the trick as long as your teeth are further away than the length of the tether. Otherwise you will be talking about how the shprings broksh your teeesh gummy boy.

Default is to pay somer loser at the suspension shop to do it for you, hard on the wallet but easy on the flesh as the off the shelf spring compressors won't fit due to shape and position of spring.

Is the wastegate sticking or cracked? Its amazing how much you lose when the seat or the plate has a chunk out of it. Hard to believe it is sticking as they are usually pretty loose, unless there is something wrong with the cable actuator. you could always try it with the cable and vacuum pot disconnected and jammed shut. HEE HEE Rev Rev Rev BANG, tinkle tinkle cough splutter. Yellow pages under turbos and pistons for sale pages required. I've got a housing here with a cracked seat and otherwise good so I'm looking at getting it reseated. I've got a manifold to weld up as well so that will be fun.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Yea bloody springs, i'm gonna have to make a special tool to get mine back in. Then if these unknown lowered ones I have end up being too low i'm gonna have to change them back to original ones. Fun..

picsorban of this V6 Piazza
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

picsorban of this V6 Piazza
First I've got to find him. I'm monitoring all the club race meeting cards so i can go spot him when he pops his head up.

I'm sure I know where he lives as it is near an old stamping ground of mine but is 200km away so can't just pop in when passing if you get my drift.

You wanna know how I compressed two piazza springs ready for fitting? I jacked up the wifes XJS and tucked the springs under the front crossmember, let the fat bastard down on it and bobs you auntie, one pair of compressed springs. I then lashed them with a couple of cheap and nasty tie dfown straps from super cheap and they held real well. This was a trial only and the plan was to then fit them in place and once in and all buttoned up just cut the tie downs. So if I have to change them I know how to get them back in. I have a picture of the special Isuzu tool but it is a complicated scrtum scrunching looking device and way too sensible. :finga:
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Yeah i've heard of people doing similar but I value my teeth too much!

The special tool is a bit of a headfuck.. I might see if I can make something a bit more simple.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Nah just poke it with a big long stick. Works every time.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.