My Baby From when i got her to this day

Showcase your rides here. Read "Picture Help" to find out how to host your pic's
brendan
APC Member
APC Member

Post by brendan »

I think i got ripped off abit, but i took the diff banjo out and gave it to the diff shop and they replaced all the bearings and serviced the lsd. It was only meant to cost 500 but the diff shop told me that they had to machine speedy sleeves in because the stuffed bearings had worn groves into the bearings surfaces. I made the diff heaps better but i am not happy with the lsd, it only seems to work if i rev the car right up and dump it.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

I rekon you all got ripped.

Ive got my suspicions that the KB Rodeo/Shuttle/Jackaroo centres are the same as the piazza one. In LSD form if you can find a Jackaroo one possibly in the Rodeo too. I dont think they offered LSD in the shuttle.

If someone can check the Piazza manual against this data for me.

Banjo type, semi floating.
Hypoid gear.
Bevel gears 2, Pinions 2 (open wheeler)
LSD option, 4 pinion dual disc. (i think thats meant to be dual pinion 4 disc looking at the pics.)
194mm crownwheel diameter.
Backlash 0.13-0.18mm.
Pinion preload, Colapsible spacer.
Side bearing preload method, shim.

The ratios ive got are 4.555(41/9). 4.1(41/10) for Jackaroo and Rodeo (81 models) it doesnt state what is in what. 4.777(43/9) for the shuttle auto and diesel and 4.555 for the manual petrol. It also lists a 5.158 for the real early shuttle but i doubt you find one here in australia. The shuttle books cover all models.
I rekon 43/10 would give you 3.9 same as the Piazza.

Ive got the TF Rodeo books here, it lists the 194mm diff too, but only for the 2.3L powered few at a guess, it doesnt actualy state what is in what. The actual diff used in the 2.6L TF is 220mm, so these would be no good. The manual covers africa and the like where they got the 1.6L 4ZA1 motor, mainly thats why its in the book id say. It gives a bit more info on the diff. This covers both sizes.
Axle tube diameter, outside, 75mm.
Thickness 4.5mm.

What none of the books give me is the number of splines and diameter of the axles which is the info thats needed.

If your going to hunt for an LSD centre id look in the rear of a 4x4 or a diesel 2x4 KB Rodeo. A Jackaroo would be the best bet and id have to say looking in a diesel one would up your chances more.

I wanted to keep this under my hat till i was sure.

Ive got a Jackaroo LSD centre lined up for my KB20. When i got it here i was going to rip the single wheeler out of my auto piazza and have a look.

Cheers. Bob.

P.S. dont tell the Gemini guys about this or they will want piazza diffs to make fit and pinch all the LSD centres.

p.p.s. dont reply in here i will start a new thread in the drivetrain bit.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

brendan wrote:I think i got ripped off abit, but i took the diff banjo out and gave it to the diff shop and they replaced all the bearings and serviced the lsd. It was only meant to cost 500 but the diff shop told me that they had to machine speedy sleeves in because the stuffed bearings had worn groves into the bearings surfaces. I made the diff heaps better but i am not happy with the lsd, it only seems to work if i rev the car right up and dump it.
The bearings wear groves into the bearing surfaces, but that's fixed by replacing the bearings. Dunno how it could damage anything but the bearings though..
This was my rear pinion one pretty farked.

If you jack the car up on one side and try turning the wheel by hand do you get much resistance? I don't get too much resistance with mine but I tried giving it a bit with one wheel on gravel and one on the road and it hooked up ok.

Bob yer it's the same dimensions. LSD is 2 pinion, gears are 43/11. No good to Gemini owners they don't run Jap rear ends and the diesels that do use the 8-bolt diff center. Didn't measure the axle diameters but they're 17 spline if i remember correctly.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Bugle wrote: Bob yer it's the same dimensions. LSD is 2 pinion, gears are 43/11. No good to Gemini owners they don't run Jap rear ends and the diesels that do use the 8-bolt diff center. Didn't measure the axle diameters but they're 17 spline if i remember correctly.
You can put a Piazza diff in a gem but its the wrong track. If they rekon they can get a cheap LSD them gem guys will try anything. lol.

Cheers for that Bugle. I will check up on the axles.

Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Yeah gotta be a torque tube one though, no locally sold ones have torque tube.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Bugle wrote:Yeah gotta be a torque tube one though, no locally sold ones have torque tube.
Theres ways around that.

Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Yer but having to add extra link mounts and also shortening the diff makes it no easier than sticking any other diff in there.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Bugle wrote:Yer but having to add extra link mounts and also shortening the diff makes it no easier than sticking any other diff in there.
True but you can get away with the extra track with the right wheels.