My Piazza project thread

Showcase your rides here. Read "Picture Help" to find out how to host your pic's
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

A properly designed log manifold should be good for around 350-400hp worth of flow. It will restrict the car up top however i dont think his building the ultimate Piazza engine [damn that one in the for sale section comes close] so it should be fine.

Bugle, i gather youll be setting up a front mounted intercooler for it? How you going to go about that one?

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Rodeobob wrote:
Bugle wrote: Could do a low mount with equal length runners going up high but then it'd heat up that intake pipe even more than it does already.
Not to mention melting your plug leads all the time as well.
Bugle wrote:and the cops won't be able to spot it.. Not that i've ever even been pulled over before...
Is that coz your an old fart. :finga: lol

Do you rekon you could use your puta thingy to design me up an airbag two tonner conversion for a rodeo????
Its all im my head but i draw like shit.

Cheers. bob.
Yeah dunno how this setup doesn't melt leads! Must do wonders for the intake temps running that close to the intake pipe.

I'm 23 so yea getting on a bit. It's probably the lack of p-plates and that cops have no idea what the car is which helps.

What kind of shapes are involved in an airbag setup? I'm only a beginner with this CAD stuff.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

GeminiCoupe wrote:A properly designed log manifold should be good for around 350-400hp worth of flow. It will restrict the car up top however i dont think his building the ultimate Piazza engine [damn that one in the for sale section comes close] so it should be fine.

Bugle, i gather youll be setting up a front mounted intercooler for it? How you going to go about that one?

Nick-
If I had that ultimate Piazza engine i'd be building a crazy manifold for it :)

Nah stock intercooler for now.. I was thinking of a 2JZGTE intercooler if I can get it to fit. It's the same width and height as the Piazza but almost twice as thick. So it might fit in the stock location. Pic of one a mate and I installed on his Starion http://www.starlyon.com/pics/104_0478s.jpg
For a Piazza it would need custom end tanks.
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Ahh Piazza and Starion...mortal enemies...

Anyway. Any reason why you couldnt modify the standard 2JZ end tanks? Is it because the side closest to the drivers side of the car does a complete u turn and heads the other way?

If i were to do it id try front mount it. I think part of the Piazzas main bottle neck is the cooler piping - having it switch back like that would only restrict the fuck through it.

Nick-
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

One more thing i forgot to ask...

Hows the standard computer cope with the larger turbo? What did you have to do to get it right. Im not real clued up with the BOSCH Jetronic EFI systems, might be time to go to the library an borrow a book on it. Reason i ask is because ill eventually be looking at a larger turbo; if i have to go a full aftermarket ecu then cost could be a problem.

Nick-
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

lol I could probably chop him easily before, but now that he's got his microtech tuned and that intercooler it's putting out 125rwkw, dunno if i'll be able to beat that.

Yeah the 2JZ end tanks are moulded plastic and I can't weld plastic :)
There's nowhere else to mount it without having to remove the aircon or chop stuff. Not a fan of chopping up the bumper and its support. That cylinder thing on the aircon line is in the way of that too. Also moving the weight further forward wouldn't help the balance of the car. If mounted infront of the aircon condensor even after removing the fan you've still got the problem of the headlight eyelid motor being in the way.

The standard ECU seemed to be alright with it but i'm sure a tune could make it run better. I'm getting an ECU off Matt to pull apart and extract the data from the ROM. Then i've gotta sort out where the fuel maps are and then I can modify the tune of the standard ECU.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Finally made that Gemini thread
http://www.ozgemini.com/viewtopic.php?t=1860
rodavo
APC Member
APC Member

Post by rodavo »

Is that Solidworks you are using Bugle??

Here's the manifold I have designed to suit a t28, its almost 100% complete, little bit of tweaking to be done, but all runners are equal length to within 2mm and join nicely at the turbo flange. Should be getting the flanges cut at my work (engineering company) on a water jet cutter or laser cutter, and might do a few extra if anyone is interested. I will do all the pipework myself, Ive already made one for my uni racecar and its not that hard.

Dave
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Yeah solidworks, same with yours?
Looks good what turbo you putting on that? One of those GT2530's would go alright.
Where's the best place to get the pipes? I was going to go to blackwoods.

You in your uni's FSAE team?
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Dave i would be interested in a couple of the exhaust port plates. How many depends on how $$$$$$$ much.

Can i get em with larger port holes in em IE 2.6L size.

Cheers. Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Dave, what material are you planing to make these inn? I would be interested in both flanges if made in SS.

Tommy
rodavo
APC Member
APC Member

Post by rodavo »

Yeah I go to Wollongong uni and have been on the FSAE team for the last 3 years. How do you know about it Bugle?? Are you a uni student as well???

Yeah I am using Solidworks....its an awesome program.

I can get the flanges done in any material basically but I will have to find out prices of the material before I can give anyone a price. Plus I have to make sure that my design lines up properly on the head but it should do. Yeah I can do the port holes any size you want, very easy. Dont know when I will be doing this, but when I get the first one done I will let everyone know if and when I will sell them.

Dave
rodavo
APC Member
APC Member

Post by rodavo »

Just realised I didnt answer all of your questions Bugle!!!

I am planning on putting an RB20 or RB25 turbo on it like yours, just have to find one first before I start making the manifold.

I am getting my pipes bent at Liverpool exhaust cause they sponsor our SAE team and I know the guy pretty well. He can bend up any angle I want in certain radius'. I havent looked at blackwoods but maybe go and see an exhaust shop and see how much they want to sell you some bends. Who knows, if I get good at it I might start selling complete manifolds!!!!

Dave
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

My brother is doing aero mech eng at usyd he's friends with some people on their FSAE team. He told me the only turbo team was Wollongong and you live close enough so I thought that must be it :)

The turbos are getting pretty cheap on Ebay, I bought one a couple of weeks ago for $100 minus wastegate actuator, waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully it is ok. Been through 2 turbos already, one because the oil line got blocked by gunk, and the other because it was just crap to begin with, bearings make stupid buzzing noises.

If you're getting the pipes bent that'd have to be stainless wouldn't it? Thought steam pipe would be too thick walled to bend.

Gonna try chopping up a flange with the oxy, then smoothing it on the bench grinder. Use a holesaw for the ports.

Bob I think 4ZE1's have the same port size. I used a 4ZE1 gasket on mine and the holes are slightly larger but I think that's to make up for the innacuracies in the standard ports from cyl to cyl so it doesn't block any off at all.
rodavo
APC Member
APC Member

Post by rodavo »

Yeah thats us.....we won the comp last December with a unique turbo setup, it uses a variable vane turbo charger instead of the usual wategate type. Worked really well and the car was unbelievably quick. Really throws you back in the seat when it comes on boost. You should check out our website, got some good pics of our headers glowing on the engine dyno!!

http://130.130.24.178/index1.html
http://130.130.24.178/media/mainframe_images/turbo.gif

The bends can be done in stainless or mild steel, not sure about steam pipe. I was going to use 1.6mm wall stainless with 35mm ID.

I am keeping my eyes open for a turbo, I think I saw that turbo that you got but it ended before I could put a bid in.

Dave