JR120 Turbo

Showcase your rides here. Read "Picture Help" to find out how to host your pic's
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Not much longer now, need to guidecoat and rub the highfill back, finish the bumpers and do something with the rear hatch and shes ready to go. Home stretch now.

Turbo seems ok now that the right amount of oil is in the car, seals dont like twice the volume of oil being crammed in. :blackeye: Leaves two verrrrryyyyyyy fat marks on the road when you dump it at 3000rpm :weedman:

The "To Do" list.

- Finish sanding bumpers, highfill
- guidecoat car and rub back
- repair/replace hatch
- buy paint, paint car
- degrease undercarriage for RWC
- Fix heater/air con problem
- Install head unit, speakers, amp
- install new carpet, steam clean whole interior
- 2 x new tyres
- RWC and Rego.

Hoping to be on the road and on boost by about December 31st.

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

1st coats went on today....

Nick-
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Aw Nick! Ya shoulda taken the eyelids off coz you can't get the paint in the gaps, maybe I'm jumping the gun and you are gonna get it on the next coat, it is looking good though, is it laquer to be followed up with clear or you using something else? I'm getting ready to do one in monza red but you are a fair step ahead of me, I'm still fixing flaws and dents.
So many cars, so little cash
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

No need to take the eyelids off, just need to turn the headlights on so i can get it in there :yawinkle: If you look carefully youll see its white, meaning if primer can get it so can paint.

Paint is acrylic, it doesnt HAVE to be cleared although it is preferable. ATM im not going to clear it as i desperately need a car, seeing as the shitbox [BMW] has now blown a headgasket and i have to ride a pushbike in 40deg heat, 8 or so km each way to work. Not fun. Ill just be cutting the paint back with 2000grit paper and industrial cutters, should get it nice and shinnnnyyyy.

Speaking of BMW's, the colour is off one. BMW Brilliant Red, or "HellRot" as it was known on the german market.

More coats tommorow.

Nick-
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

At least it isn't metallic, you can't get away without clearing that shit, you can always clear it later if you need to, just give it another quick de glaze I think is the way to do it. Regardless it is going to look good, when I cleared the last one I attacked it with 800 followed by 1200 and finished with 2000. The last step was a light water based cutting compound. It is a lot of work though but worth it in the end.
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

wedgenut wrote:Regardless it is going to look good
Mate, i hope so. Ive managed to shut a few of the doubters up already. The old man used to work as a panelbeater 20-odd yrs ago and he was trying to tell me there was no way the paint would look any good if it wasnt painted in an oven. He then sat for about 30mins trying to convince me i couldnt possibly spray my car PROPERLY without getting one million runs and zebra-style paint. Guess what Dad. YOUR WRONG :finga: He had a look this afternoon when he came home from work and he was pretty happy. I just hope the finished product comes out ok.

Which one are you painting Alex? Im guessing the Turbo one? BTW i think its time you posted pictures of your COMPLETE collection, most of your old pics are gone and shit.

My only dilema now is the bumpers. Colour code or not?

Nick-
piazza-crx
APC Member
APC Member

Post by piazza-crx »

lookn nice though nick :thumbright:
If Gemini's were ever meant to go fast, they would have come out of the factory with 4zc1t engines!!

Business CD Solutions
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Lookin good, i'd probably leave the bits sticking out of the bumpers black, and paint the lip body colour.
How did you go with the hatch rust?
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Which one are you painting Alex? Im guessing the Turbo one? BTW i think its time you posted pictures of your COMPLETE collection, most of your old pics are gone and shit
Nah! the turbo does need a bit of a birthday as the paint is the usual tired red but the one I'm doing is the project one for my son that will carry the Holden garnish for a laugh. I will get around to putting the pictures back on I promise.
piazza-crx
APC Member
APC Member

Post by piazza-crx »

GeminiCoupe wrote: My only dilema now is the bumpers. Colour code or not?

Nick-
If you have a little xtra time, and maybe $10 more, I would suggest painting the black part of the bumper a really dark maroon. seen it on a few other cars and looks awsome. that way you can keep it shined up, as the black usually loses its shine quite quickly...
If Gemini's were ever meant to go fast, they would have come out of the factory with 4zc1t engines!!

Business CD Solutions
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Been thinking about the colour coding thing, and decided against all red. Itll look too much like an easter egg [im Orthodox, we do the hardboiled red egg thing]. Its out of black or a dark charcoal grey, i reckon thatd look mint. Anyhow, Saturdays effort...

Im not 100% happy with it, infact im abit disapointed if anything. Didnt have much light to do things this time, had to rush etc etc so it was a tiny bit stripey in some spots. Had another dilema with blistering, fucked if i know why seeing as the whole car was prepwashed with expensive shit. So yeah, that said though in sunlight you cant even see the blistering let alone the stripes which is weird. Once i cut the whole car back with 2000 and polish it , you shouldnt be able to pick it. Tonight just put the lights on the back as i was out all day. Will be spraying the bumpers on wednesday [got a customers car coming in on tuesday, carby swap on a Gemini so i dont think ill have time to do anything then] so yeah im pretty much on the home stretch. Old man goes on holidays on Friday, so hell be sorting the hatch out while I assemble the thing inside, and that should be about it. Ready to roll to RWC. :supz:

Dont be too judgemental on the paint. It IS my first sprayjob, and it still hasnt been cut back.

Nick-
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

IMO id be doing all the blocking back before you start refitting stuff.

Get the paint spot on, or at least the best you can and then take care fitting all the gear back up.
Take the tail lights as an example. Rub all that back so its shiny and then seal the lights in so they wont leak water into the boot.

How many coats did you do??? Do you still have some red left???? You might need it. Be fussy and dont hurry it. I know you need it but it might be the difference between something you drive and something your super "hairy wog chest out" proud of.

The best light for picking paint faults is fluros. Also streetlights. Something to do with the angles of reflection and with the streetlights its the small amount of light thats reflected shows up shit that lots of bright sunlight misses or masks.

If i had a spare hatch dude it would be done by now. Damn the fucker for squashing them two shells.

Oh and i say maybe a gun metal gray would look good on the bumpers and the wheels. Dunno.

Cheers. Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Those damn hatches
I've got 3 and they all have rust in various stages..

Some lowered springs should be a priority too!

Bob yer I was thinking gunmetal grey on those bits would go good on a black piazza.. Probably look alright on any colour piazza.
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Yeah ive been thinking about the grey thing big time - been looking at the door handles too long lol.

Bob the lights are just a test-fit thing, wanted to see what it looks like. Still got over 2l of paint unthinned left, so i can do the whole car again if i saw fit. Might just redo the lhs rear 1/4 and rhs door if they come up shiezen after the cut and buff. As for the hairy chested proudness thing...ill be proud of it when it chalks em in the spot in 2nd gear. Quick question though, the seal that goes on the comp cover outlet to intercooler pipe is rooted/leaking air like a mofo. Anyone used silicon hose as an alternative?

Nick-
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

Well u know what I think.. Hate red, fades to much doesnt look great..

Deep purple or a nice blue be better
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo