Nightrider - the cuirse continues

Showcase your rides here. Read "Picture Help" to find out how to host your pic's
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Nightrider - the cuirse continues

Post by Chris »

Here we go.. This one actually has battery bracket :finga:

Headgasket or crack head is slowing it down at this stage, and maybe the turbo is gone to as it has been run on high boost for awhile. Anyways, this baby will get the full treatment, 2.6L rodeo turbo.

Last edited by Chris on Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Why spend all that money putting a 2.6L in when you dont know whats up with the motor thats in it????

Just concerned for your wallet is all.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

Well bob this is now my 6th piazza. I don't believe the 4zc1 was ment to be for performance upgrades unless you spent $$$$ to rebuilt it and change some stuff.

If I change over to the 2.6L I won't have that much problems getting parts for the engine, blown gaskets all the time, will have more power. I think its worth it.

It will cost me around $10.000 for this upgrade or I can spent $5000 on this engine rebuilding it, custom pistons, bigger turbo etc....

Na mate I made up my mind a long time ago..
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Chris wrote:It will cost me around $10.000 for this upgrade or I can spent $5000 on this engine rebuilding it, custom pistons, bigger turbo etc....

Na mate I made up my mind a long time ago..
VERY serious budget there bloke, i like. With that sort of dosh you could freshen up a 4ZE1, hd clutch, aftermarket ECU, cooler, exhaust and a bigger turbo, AND have change left over to respray it. n0ice.

Atleast you now have that elusive black manual Piazza. lol

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

Just came back from the fiber glass shop. Custom bodykit $1300.. Well guess I be off to the bank soon getting that loan. Not sure If I keep her black, Thinking deep purpel or that blueish what is in my avatar pic but thats all cosmetic crap and comes last.

No I doubt Ill be spending much dosh on the 4zc1 their just not ment to last on the long run with performance. Currently looking at a shell here at the wreckers for $500 which could be the 4zc1 new home.. All and all, I am sick of pissing farting around so this time the car gets what it deserves. 300hp+ :snakeman:
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

What is it with you lot and battery brackets, all of mine have brackets AND I have two spare ones just in case. :finga:
So many cars, so little cash
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

omg yay battery bracket :supz:

wedgenut I think usually the tray rusts away so bad that there's nothing to attach the bracket to!

What you need a bodykit for? Teh stock JDM front bar looks the best. Just get some decent wheels.
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

hmm I wouldnt mind something at the back and site skirt (Flaired out)..

But i am still confused what I should do. Now I have been told the 2.6 with turbo will need fixing 1-2 a year and some poor bugger is doing his 2nd rebuilt since hes done the conversion. Might be looking into the V6 Commodores now would have heaps of space under the bonnet for it though than have to think about gearbox, shaft and diff..
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Chris wrote:But i am still confused what I should do. Now I have been told the 2.6 with turbo will need fixing 1-2 a year and some poor bugger is doing his 2nd rebuilt since hes done the conversion. Might be looking into the V6 Commodores now would have heaps of space under the bonnet for it though than have to think about gearbox, shaft and diff..
Yeah i was going to say the 2.6L motor will be no stronger than the 2L. Probably weaker its got a longer stroke and a higher rotating mass.

It more about the pistons hence why i (nick to possibly follow) was going to look into VL turbo forgies in the 1.8L block. Ballance that up and it should be sweet. Same stroke as the 2L but bored to a 2mm smaller bore (to 86mm) so it would come up a little under 2L provided the bores will take it.

As far as the V6 goes ive looked a little into that.

You can go a manual but the Commodore gearstick position is a minimum of 4" further back than the Piazza one if you put the rear face of the motor in the same spot. IMO youd want to to keep the weight as far back as possible.
Ive found a way around it, well two ways. First is to use a EA on Falcon T5 gearbox, its input shaft is 6" long which is 4" shorter than the Commodore. You can buy a specially made bellhousing from Dellow in Sydney the price is about $450 with your choice of hydraulic or cable clutch. Ive got a Falcon T5 here and sitting next to a Piazza box its less than an inch in shifter position.
The other option is to use an adapter plate and i would rekon that will chew the box out quicker than you could blink.
Hence why i bought the Falcon box. Im still undecided as to what motor is going in front of it.

The Falcon T5 is roughly an inch longer than the Rodeo/Piazza box and the same output spline. Its possible that you could get away with using an auto Piazza tailshaft if the front face of the box is in the right spot. The Piazza auto box is 2" longer or there abouts than the manual.

Diff would cope for a bit. Too much extra power would blow it no worries. Im looking at shortening a Borg Warner falcon of commodore diff. Which will depend on the pattern the front brakes end up as.

I will ask why the Commodore V6. A far bit would have to go into one of them to crack 300hp.

I say get yours going and get it on the road pronto. Take your time and shit hot the shell you were talking about.
Check out eBay. Theres a little lot of Piazza goodies on there for $450 part of the deal is a Reco head.

Cheers. Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Chris, this bloke your speaking to...what part of his engine is actually going wrong? They are generally pretty tough, the only real problem being the pistons. Custom made forgies through C.P in the states is $1200, inclusive of rings i think it was. Other then that spend money on balancing etc and itll be bullet proof. I was going to do the below to my Gemini if that pesky new law comes in allowing me to go the turbo 2.6....

- Port and polish the head
- Stainless valves with hd double springs
- Ported Rodeo 2.6 Runners with a custom plenum and forward facing throttlbody off an XF, much like this http://www.ozgemini.com/viewtopic.php?t=5801
- Custom ground cam to suit turbo [was aiming for 3500-7500rpm rev range]
- Tuned-length turbo manifold with GT30 [500hp turbo]
- C.P Forged Pistons
- Aftermarket ECU [take your pick]
- Xrayed and shotpeened standard rods
- Balanced and machined crank

That should be enough for an easy 220rwkw on 20psi. Would also eat up about 5-8k of your budget.

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z