Wtb: JR 120 stub axle's and callipers, Townsville Qld.

After a Piazza or just some parts. Here's the place to go.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Nah i think youve got it all way wrong SpyShank.

Just for the record, you quoted Chris about the importing of parts. I believe what he was reffering to was the incident where Bugle had a lower ball joint pop out and the front of his car colapse and bend a stub axle. He couldnt find one locally so he arranged privately thru contacts OS to have one bought and posted to him. If im wrong im sure Bugle will correct me.

Bradlze had to go buy spare parts Piazzas cos one he bought for himself had dropped a ball joint and ripped the front suspension apart destroying the stub axle. He needed parts, but then i think he went nuts and bought another. He bought the car and he can charge what he likes coz its his, theres no point whinging about it, you havent even put a number on it. As for suggesting that he would sell it for sfa to someone who was doing up a Piazza well how the hell do you know that???? Talk about burning bridges, having a dig at the guy instead of making an offer. Not smart.

Nick, even if brad does have JR130 brakes you can get discs etc imported for them. Buy em from the USA off ebay. Or Get one of the NZ guys to send some over. They are not a total loss.

I doubt Tim and Peter will be wanting to part with their brakes.
I have three Piazzas one of which im 100% sure will never see the road again but for the sake of the $400 i would get for them i would never part with them. Its just not worth the risk if god forbid something fucks up and i need em.

(Piazza from Adelaide has also had the suspension colapse on him and luckily i think he didnt bend the stubaxle.)

I was thinking of looking into importing Impulse brakes from the USA, but seeing as i dont have contacts and heaps of spare money for a flight, i dont see how i would work it. Plus they would be worth something over there and then add in freight and handling etc and they would be dearer than a local set if you could find some.
If you want some imported by all means pick up the Yellow Pages. I have inquired, but putting my money up front and then the long shipping time and no promise that what i get will be any good isnt the best way to go.

Dont be whinging about how old you are and how youve owned every gemini in Australia. Youve put up the question and I gave you good advice for a reason. Putting pressure on "the forum" to come up with some brakes or a contact who can import them for you is a stupid idea. Its not our dealine and lack of funds its yours. One could say GAF but no instead you have been offered advice.
Another issue would be if your so experienced how come youve left it all this late and your assuming that you will need brakes to satisfy whatever it is you have to pass with a 4ZD1. That adds no cred to the Vehicular Resumee that you informed us of. If you were experienced you would know better, see the engineer before you lift a spanner. Saves you money coz your not doing unessacary stuff and it also gives you a budget for the required things needed.
Besides the Piazza was a 2L car, did the eingineer say that the brakes from one would be big enough for the 2.3L motor???? Maybe the Hoppers will be the minimum he will be happy with. But then like you said you think, you dont know so till you do theres no point even looking because you have no idea if what your looking for will do the job.

Seeing as you Gemini experienced and know you shit and what you need, have you been down and priced up new rotors, pads, hub seals(, bearings) and caliper kits for your brakes??? Id be very interested to hear what it adds up to. Id say easily $350 add to that the $350 to buy the brakes and youve got a new hoppers kit. Even if you dont need the new Rotors for the Piazza brakes straight up, you will eventually and that will most definately be before the new Hoppers brakes do.
New rotors for a KB29 Rodeo are over $100ea. Its the only KB series Rodeo with ventilated brakes, same vintage as the Piazza, probably the same thickness and diameter (havent checked yet). You can buy a pair of rotors for the latter model TF Rodeo (or a Commodore) for the price of one KB disc. Id put the Piazza disc at min $100 ea. Pads would be $30-50. Hub seals and bearing kit would be $50 (not that you can actually buy it all in a kit). Caliper kits well who knows, would depend if the borrowed the caliper out of the Isuzu parts bin, that would make it a little more common. Min $50 i would say.
If the brakes came off any Piazza you would be a fool not to kit the Calipers at a minimum. They are single pistion sliding calipers and after 20 years they would be shot to shit. Ditto with the bearings youd have to clean em out and pack em at a minimum for your own piece of mind and saftey. I will know in the next few weeks how much it will be because im doing the calipers and bearings on mine before it goes back on the road.

Yeah i am like a broken record but hey its good advice no matter how many times ive got to give it.

My other advice would be to refit the G161Z and go do what you have to do. Gemini Brakes are fine for a G161Z. Up grade the brakes later.

Dont whinge and dont make arguments. Dont bump your thread, but by all means reply if you have something to say that works in your favour, about replys/posts in your thread. Wait and be patient, we know what you want, if no one can help well thats bad luck and if someone can well so be it and more power to you. Youve come in here looking for the Holy Grail of Piazza bits, or should i say demanding, what do you expect???? You didnt get chewed out from the onset you bought it on yourself. I bet theres one or two on the mod team that would love to boot you at the moment so go easy.

Cheers. Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
SpyShank
Probationary
Probationary

Post by SpyShank »

I'm probably going to be banned after this post because I'm "whinging", so here it is.
Rodeobob wrote:Bradlze had to go buy spare parts Piazzas cos one he bought for himself had dropped a ball joint and ripped the front suspension apart destroying the stub axle. He needed parts, but then i think he went nuts and bought another. He bought the car and he can charge what he likes coz its his, theres no point whinging about it, you havent even put a number on it. As for suggesting that he would sell it for sfa to someone who was doing up a Piazza well how the hell do you know that???? Talk about burning bridges, having a dig at the guy instead of making an offer. Not smart.
I never once said that Bradlze couldn't charge what he want's for it, but he did state that he wouldn't sell it if it were to be used on a gemini >>unless he was offered lots of money<<. which would lead me to believe he'd sell it for less if it were for a piazza. If he was to sell it for the same price as he would to another piazza owner then what would be the point of mentioning this in the post? and if these parts aren't cheap between piazza owners then his asking price or minimum accepted offer is probably out of my reach anyway.
Rodeobob wrote:Another issue would be if your so experienced how come youve left it all this late and your assuming that you will need brakes to satisfy whatever it is you have to pass with a 4ZD1. That adds no cred to the Vehicular Resumee that you informed us of. If you were experienced you would know better, see the engineer before you lift a spanner.
What makes you think I'v left the brakes late? the car is a rolling shell which is being repaired as we speak. the project is only 1 month underway but it has a 6-8 month completion window which is the reason why I'm desperate to find the parts needed for it's completion. as for assuming what's needed to pass the 4zd1, the stock braking system in a gemini is actually pretty good when operating correctly, more than capable of bringing to a stop a fair bit more than a stock G161 can put out, the use of twin piston callipers instead of singles like other small cars of it's day sees to that. although the piazza uses a single piston it is still a stronger performer than the original gemini system, if they werent then why do gemini owners want them? I would think that a set of brakes designed for stopping a turbocharged 2ltr would be capable of stopping a stock atmo 2.3, as does a retired engineer in the family. and seeing as I'v used the setup before with quality pads and slotted rotors (which my retired engineer relative that I have spoken of also drove) niether myself or my rellie see any reason they wouldn't be accepted once has engineer has test driven the car.
Rodeobob wrote:Youve come in here looking for the Holy Grail of Piazza bits, or should i say demanding, what do you expect????
I didn't demand to be sold or informed of sources for these, I mearly asked if anyone was willing to disclose where the parts can be imported as it had been mentioned in the previously stated topic. but to hear that I would have to pay more for them from the first forum member who claims to have a pair just because I'm using them on a gemini isn't exactly the way to make a noob feel welcome, in fact it's a bit of a smack in the face to be told that and in turn I was rude myself. I only give what I'm given.

EDIT:

oh I almost forgot this one
Rodeobob wrote:Maybe the Hoppers will be the minimum he will be happy with. But then like you said you think, you dont know so till you do theres no point even looking because you have no idea if what your looking for will do the job.

Seeing as you Gemini experienced and know you shit and what you need, have you been down and priced up new rotors, pads, hub seals(, bearings) and caliper kits for your brakes??? Id be very interested to hear what it adds up to. Id say easily $350 add to that the $350 to buy the brakes and youve got a new hoppers kit. Even if you dont need the new Rotors for the Piazza brakes straight up, you will eventually and that will most definately be before the new Hoppers brakes do.
ok lets just say I get the hoppers kit, I fit them and the engineer says "great" and they work extremly well and I'm happy with my purchase. but later down the track somthing happens and I end up with a chewed or warped rotor that has to be replaced. ok no worries I'll simply buy another right? so I try to get in contact with hoppers to order a replacement unit only to find that hoppers has since shut down operations and closed, then what? I'd have to source a blank rotor which means ordering it (if their even able to supply a blank rotor) and sitting back and waiting perhaps for a week, then once it gets here I have to have it drilled to suit. now assuming that the machinist will do the job on the spot and not drop it at the end of the list of jobs he already has to do theres a potential week without my vehicle right there, not to mention the additional costs on top of the rotor to have the machinist do the drilling to make it fit. there are a lot of chances there to take with custom components that are supplied by a sole company. to buy a standard non x-drilled or slotted rotor from hoppers is around the $175ea mark last time I checked. buying 2 extra pairs of rotors just in case this scenario ever happens would exceed the cost of buying 2 extra pairs of piazza rotors for the same reason (just incase dba stops manufacturing them).

another problem with the hoppers kit is some of the small things needed to fit them that actually clash with queensland regulations:
http://www.hoppers.com.au/geminibrakes.htm wrote:The special part is then really the hub, and our ability to source blank rotors to drill them in 4 stud or other special patterns.
This could be interpreted by an engineer to be illegal as the ragulations state that re'drilled disks are not allowed although technically they havent been re'drilled at all because there was no original drilling done to the rotor before hoppers fiddled with them.
http://www.hoppers.com.au/geminibrakes.htm wrote:On full lock the caliper will just touch the lower control arm, to stop this we suggest you weld a 6mm block against the lower control arm where the steering arm touches, this slightly reduces the turning circle. 15 inch or bigger wheels are needed for this conversion.
this is a no no in queensland, documentation I'v sourced states that modifications to vehicular suspension is in no way to affect the vehicles turning circle

although these kits are supplied with an engineers report, the engineer/s approving the kits are based in victoria.
Use of the kits on queensland roads will require approval by a Queensland engineer to be legal and seeing as the kits fitment requirements clash with our regulations I couldn't see them passing without a dodgey approval.

ok I'm done. Do as you will. I only indended to seek help in finding the parts I need and didn't plan on stepping on any toes. I tried to take your advise into consideration but it's just not for me. sorry if I stressed you guys out.
I'f I'm banned for posting this then so be it and thanks for your help anyway, I'm sure I'll find somthing I can use somwhere.
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

when you two are done, I like a spell check and than make it to a book!
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

LOL good call Chris.
Rodeobob wrote:Nick, even if brad does have JR130 brakes you can get discs etc imported for them. Buy em from the USA off ebay. Or Get one of the NZ guys to send some over. They are not a total loss.
You mean source new JR130 discs from o/s? Pretty pointless, their smaller. I was referring to the fact the stub is the same as the JR120, thus making it possible to bolt the JR120 discs and caliper on.

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
piazza-crx
APC Member
APC Member

Post by piazza-crx »

The lengths Gemini owners go through to get their hands on piazza parts! :dontknow: :director:

I did warn you about these chris, :la:
If Gemini's were ever meant to go fast, they would have come out of the factory with 4zc1t engines!!

Business CD Solutions
Bradlze

Post by Bradlze »

ok well i wouldnt exactly make the prices higher if it was for a gemini enev though i said it before
maybe if you pm me an offer it might be able to help...!!
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Importers don't import Piazza shit anymore. They say since Piazzas are becoming older and in Japan most of them have been wrecked the price is going up and its no longer worth it buying a complete Piazza only to chop it in half and sell it here because for example an SR20DET front cut is cheaper to produce.

I had to resort to overnight parts from the USA because of Gemini owners using up all the Piazza stub axles in Australia. It's situations like this that we've had to deal with which is why everyone is so annoyed at Gemini owners coming here wanting the destruction of a Piazza to use its brakes/engine in a rusty Gemini.
SpyShank
Probationary
Probationary

Post by SpyShank »

Bugle wrote:I had to resort to overnight parts from the USA because of Gemini owners using up all the Piazza stub axles in Australia. It's situations like this that we've had to deal with which is why everyone is so annoyed at Gemini owners coming here wanting the destruction of a Piazza to use its brakes/engine in a rusty Gemini.
exactly, which is why I'm trying to import a pair for myself rather than swipe them from an australian delivered model.
as mentioned I used to own a 1996 ford mondeo, and being a tuner I couldn't leave it alone I just had to play with it (it's just what I do). there are no localy made performance parts or bodykits for these cars in australia so I was forced to import them brom britan, and if any of you guys have ever owned a euro then you know what costs are involves getting parts for almost any euro vehicle.
I understand that you guys have a hard time finding parts for your cars, that is the reason I'm looking to import the components from overseas myself and (hopefully) save one of you guys the trouble.

Bradlze: I'm not usually inclined at making offers, especially in this scenario as I'm not sure what the parts are worth. I would "prefer" you to quote me a price on them but if you can give me a day or 2 to count up my pennies and see how much I'll have in the next fortnight to play with then I'll pm you with an offer.

failing that, perhapes I could be steered in the direction of one of your fellow overseas forum members from a country where the piazza is more common so that the local australian members can breath a little easier?
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

You could try asking on isuzone.org
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

SpyShank wrote:I'm probably going to be banned after this post because I'm "whinging", so here it is.
Rodeobob wrote:Bradlze had to go buy spare parts Piazzas cos one he bought for himself had dropped a ball joint and ripped the front suspension apart destroying the stub axle. He needed parts, but then i think he went nuts and bought another. He bought the car and he can charge what he likes coz its his, theres no point whinging about it, you havent even put a number on it. As for suggesting that he would sell it for sfa to someone who was doing up a Piazza well how the hell do you know that???? Talk about burning bridges, having a dig at the guy instead of making an offer. Not smart.
I never once said that Bradlze couldn't charge what he want's for it, but he did state that he wouldn't sell it if it were to be used on a gemini >>unless he was offered lots of money<<. which would lead me to believe he'd sell it for less if it were for a piazza. If he was to sell it for the same price as he would to another piazza owner then what would be the point of mentioning this in the post? and if these parts aren't cheap between piazza owners then his asking price or minimum accepted offer is probably out of my reach anyway..
Yeah but again your assuming, like brad said send him a PM.

It wasnt me banning you that i was talking about.
SpyShank wrote:
Rodeobob wrote:Another issue would be if your so experienced how come youve left it all this late and your assuming that you will need brakes to satisfy whatever it is you have to pass with a 4ZD1. That adds no cred to the Vehicular Resumee that you informed us of. If you were experienced you would know better, see the engineer before you lift a spanner.
What makes you think I'v left the brakes late? the car is a rolling shell which is being repaired as we speak. the project is only 1 month underway but it has a 6-8 month completion window which is the reason why I'm desperate to find the parts needed for it's completion. as for assuming what's needed to pass the 4zd1, the stock braking system in a gemini is actually pretty good when operating correctly, more than capable of bringing to a stop a fair bit more than a stock G161 can put out, the use of twin piston callipers instead of singles like other small cars of it's day sees to that. although the piazza uses a single piston it is still a stronger performer than the original gemini system, if they werent then why do gemini owners want them? I would think that a set of brakes designed for stopping a turbocharged 2ltr would be capable of stopping a stock atmo 2.3, as does a retired engineer in the family. and seeing as I'v used the setup before with quality pads and slotted rotors (which my retired engineer relative that I have spoken of also drove) niether myself or my rellie see any reason they wouldn't be accepted once has engineer has test driven the car.
True your in QLD and im not.
Glad to hear your in the build up.
Down here if you want to upgrade to a bigger engine you have to upgrade the whole drive line, either from the donor car or to the equivalant strength of the donor car. That includes the diff, so the gemini one would be out technically. It not LSD so id look to bin it anyway.
If you had the 5 stud front hubs they are off the shelf replacement discs.

You claim to know a bit but in the above your shown you know little. Gemini brakes are adequate, just and thats for the 1600cc motor. They are solid discs, no doubt they are well ballanced and when working properly they will pull the car down to a stop well, but try doing that over and over and watch the brake fluid boil and the pedal go to the floor.
Hence why the Piazza brakes get fitted to Geminis, they are ventilated discs and they dissapate heat better.
If your going to have a bigger motor that goes better you will need better brakes. You will be going faster and be on the brakes harder and probably more often.

Im not sure who or where but there is somone else other than Hoppers that make a big brake kit for the Gemini. I dont mean Ben Wright, im talking about someone else that does engineer approved brakes, the name wasnt mentioned or else i would remember, i heard it from someone bagging out the Hoppers kit. You might want to chase that up. I think they were a Queenslander in the OZ gemini forum. Might have been Gene.
SpyShank wrote:although these kits are supplied with an engineers report, the engineer/s approving the kits are based in victoria.
Use of the kits on queensland roads will require approval by a Queensland engineer to be legal and seeing as the kits fitment requirements clash with our regulations I couldn't see them passing without a dodgey approval..
Best be off to chat to a still in business engineer and see what they say. You might be chasing a Piazza setup when theres an easier option available. No offence to your relative but hes not signing off on it is he???

I cut out some shit
Im pretty sure that Hoppers will be in business for quite some time to come.
SpyShank wrote:ok I'm done. Do as you will. I only indended to seek help in finding the parts I need and didn't plan on stepping on any toes. I tried to take your advise into consideration but it's just not for me. sorry if I stressed you guys out.
I'f I'm banned for posting this then so be it and thanks for your help anyway, I'm sure I'll find somthing I can use somwhere.
You sure your done????

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

my reading glasses keep fogging up reading this post.
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Wish my lathe was big enough to hold a stub axle, i'd be pumping out converted Gemini stub axles for everyone
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

You could try asking them what they're on about in this thread because I can't see any way of attaching a Piazza caliper to a Gemini stub axle without making the modification I described.

http://www.ozgemini.com/viewtopic.php?t ... =stub+axle
SpyShank
Probationary
Probationary

Post by SpyShank »

yeah that's just like the kit that just gemispares in adelade used to sell, piazza callipers and disks on the gemini stubs with the callipers fitted with a shim to suit. I'd actually need the callipers and disks first though so I could see where their (suposedly) supposed to be shimmed. unless I were to use callipers off of somthing else that'd fit. are there any other vehicles that use the same callipers as the piazza?
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

But you can see in the pics it's impossible to mount a caliper to the un-machined surface and if you stick them on the other side a shim is only going to space the caliper further away from where it's supposed to be..

If there are any good self serve wreckers around your area i'd go have a look at all the toyotas and nissans from the 80s for a possible caliper might find something..