electronic control unit

Parts, Electronics, Audio and other for sale
texakohd
Learner
Learner

electronic control unit

Post by texakohd »

I'm new to this resource. bought the car in 1984, but there's no brains. buy brains for Isuzu Piazza 2.0 turbo. sorry for my english
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Hi there texakohd. Send a PM to elkygem on this forum. He might have some '86 Aus spec lying around but I'm not sure if they will work for your '84 model. Best way is to check for same part numbers.

http://www.isuzupiazza.com/forum/profil ... file&u=583

Just found this '85 version on ebay, but again check again for same part numbers:

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav= ... 0609101388
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

I suspect an error in the purchase date (since a turbo should be easy to spot) else the turbo is a later addition or change.

AFAIK, if it's a turbo, it should be the 4ZC1-t and hence probably the JECS J-tronic (Bosch) copy. (I'm unsure if the 4ZC1-t had the I-TEC system).

Pre-1986 were Z series - eg, G200Z SOHC or G200W DOHC - and non-turbo. All were I-TEC ECUs.

I might be wrong, but that info should exist elsewhere on this site.

Maybe Wedgy can confirm?
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

The turbo came out in 84. They used I-TEC and ECGI in different places around the world, no idea what Uzbekistan would've got. Texakohd if you have a photo of your engine bay we can tell which system it's got by the airflow meter type.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

My apologies. I thought the turbo wasn't until 1986. I should check my docos!

I'd expect it's the I-TEC since it isn't the Aussie version which is AFAIK the only version that "retrograded" to the mechanical dizzy & ECGI, but I may be wrong on that too. (Maybe ECGI was a GM thing as well?).

texakohd - you could check to see if it's a optical dizzy which will have a 4-pin outlet - probably a 2x2 spade connector from the bottom of the distributor (like the G200W twincam Piazzas), or if you open it you will see a slotted disc as opposed to the "mechanical" reluctor type dizzy (distributor) which has 4 cam/shaft lobes and a single 2-wire sensor.
Or maybe the plenum side will have "I-TEC" cast instead of "TURBO" (or ECGI)?
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Japanese market ones are ECGI aswell as ours.

Easiest way to tell is from the airflow meter, they all have 'Turbo' on the plenum.

IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

EGSCellent!
I think my 1989 UBS17 4ZE1 Jackaroo is AFM but I know later models including the Rodeos were hotwire.
I didn't realise Isuzu used hotwire that early. (But then again, around that time I think I was already into ionic sensing hence bypassing all that crap - at least theoretically.)

Thanks Bugle.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

They were using hot wire on the 81 G200W Piazza too, probably one of the first in the world to do it?
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

I'd think so.
I know Isuzu was the first Jap (electronic?) EFI - namely the 117.
As I recall, that was 1976 in which case IMO a 1981 hotwire is pretty impressive. And that probably means 1980 since I saw the G200W Piazza at the (March?) 1980 Melbourne Motor Show. Not that I was into EFI back then - I probably didn't even know what EFI was - I was merely drooling over the Isuzu DOHC. Oh - and the electronic speedo etc display (the second I had seen only to my own Bellett), and the revolutionary fingertip control etc.
[Actually I must have known about EFI since I was told circa 1977 how GMH wanted to get into (mechanical) fuel injection back around 1957 but were stopped by GM "because GM owned Bendix" (carburetors).]

I used to know of many Isuzu firsts (other than the Piazza's 3 or 4 "computers", door closing mechanism and other innovative features) such as diesel common-rail injection; ceramic (waterless?) engines; battery technologies... but now it's all a blur.