water in wheel well

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
shorty

water in wheel well

Post by shorty »

just got a little question hopefully someone can help me out. i am looking at installing a sub into the wheel well of my piazza but have noticed that there is sometimes water sitting in the bottom of it. from what i am told it is pretty normal for water to get in there that is why they rust out. i am just wondering if anyone knows where bout the water comes from and how to stop it. please help :axe:
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

At a guess id say the hatch seal. Hows it look???
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
piazza-crx
APC Member
APC Member

Post by piazza-crx »

Just use a hose with a pressure nozzle. Shoot water at any place where you think water might come in (including from underneath) and you'll soon discover where the water comes from....
If Gemini's were ever meant to go fast, they would have come out of the factory with 4zc1t engines!!

Business CD Solutions
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

I think mine might be leaking through the tail lights, boot seal looks fine
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

I've noticed with the red one water comes through the hatch seal. Wasnt much and only happend when it rains heavily.
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

here are a couple of other traps to watch out for. The corrugated rubber hoses holding the hatch wires, if they split water seeps back into the roof cavity and drips down from under the roof lining rear trim, If you don't think it is them then take out the hatch hinges (one at a time is manageable), and make sure the plastic backing shroud isn't split as that is another sneaky Piazza trick. It can cause rusting out of the panel as well but a quick look under the lining trim will tell you if that is the case. If it does rust there and you ignore it you will have an open backed car one day when passing a stock train at mach 5 and the suction grabs the hatch.

Good Game...Good game
:supz:
shorty

Post by shorty »

yeah i thought it was the seal but i can't seem to find any water on the carpet it's only in the wheel well (which is good because i have my 12 stacker and master control unit for my stereo in the boot) but i think i might have to get in the back and get someone to spray the car with water.

also is anyone here good at maths? i need to figure out the volume of the wheel well to see if it is big or not big enough for a 12 inch pioneer sub
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

wedgenut wrote:here are a couple of other traps to watch out for. The corrugated rubber hoses holding the hatch wires, if they split water seeps back into the roof cavity and drips down from under the roof lining rear trim, If you don't think it is them then take out the hatch hinges (one at a time is manageable), and make sure the plastic backing shroud isn't split as that is another sneaky Piazza trick. It can cause rusting out of the panel as well but a quick look under the lining trim will tell you if that is the case. If it does rust there and you ignore it you will have an open backed car one day when passing a stock train at mach 5 and the suction grabs the hatch.

Good Game...Good game
:supz:
oh yea that one's a bitch..
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

also is anyone here good at maths? i need to figure out the volume of the wheel well to see if it is big or not big enough for a 12 inch pioneer sub
The formula isn't too difficult but to get it exact is tricky due to the shape when there is a much easier way. I'm not trying to be funny here honest but fill it with water!. Fill it using a measuring jug and you will get the exact volume. Some old greek bastard discovered something like that a few years back, was it Archimedes? he was good bloke he went on to invent a new kind of screwing i think
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

oh yea that one's a bitch..
Ah! Good to see you share the same problems over there, looks like this one has been caught in time.
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Formula for volume = L x W x H

where:

L = Length of box
W = width of box
H = height of box

Simple isnt it? As for the wheel well question, im pretty sure its done the following way...

Area of Circle x height. Area of circle is found by Radius x Pie^2

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
shorty

Post by shorty »

yeah i thought about just pooring water in there but i would rather not have to do it that way wedgenut, no i think i will just do it geminicoupe's way and just apply a little maths. i ain't after a spl car so near enough will be good enough for me on this one. thanks anyway guys for all the help
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Almost right
it's pi * r?
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Yeah your right, just re-read that now and realised i wrote it out wrong :silent: Been a while since ive done Area [haha try year 7], amazing how you learn way harder things and remember them [like calculus] yet forgetting the simple shit is easy. lol

Like the man said, Area for a circle = Pi X Radius^2

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
shorty

Post by shorty »

yeah it's been a few years since i even heard any of that stuff, and when i did hear it i said "when the hell will i ever need to use that crap" well looks like that has come to bite me on the arse :butthead: