Impulse starting isusse's...

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
speedracerles

Impulse starting isusse's...

Post by speedracerles »

So I cant figure out for the life of me why this car will not start, when you put the key in it to start it nothing happens, the fan is on and the lights and everything come on...

I know that the fuel is primed, I havent been able to check the starter, but I know it has new plugs in it and wire's so what else could it be?

I remeber when the other one didnt want to start all i had to do was check the fuse link, a boom it started right up... let me know what to look for... I really want to be driving this car...LOL

Isuzu impulse turbo, my weapon of choice!
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

Yeah make sure you check for spark. Take one of the leads of, plug in a spark plug and hold against Ground of chassis to check.

Also check your fuel (Pump) and does it maybe have an immobilizer? Sometimes you don't know until you look under the dash.

Check that all wires are connected to the battery. Once a lead corroded and I didnt notice it. Umm Check Air Filter but that wont be a reason why it wont start unless it really blocks all air-in
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo
speedracerles

Post by speedracerles »

okey-dokey...lol

Im going to check it when i get back in town, i have really bad rust were the shock towers are, I am going t restore the car back to its former glory but I think im gonna have to get new shock towers... they are bad im gonna put pics up here in a few... but what do you think I should do?
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Nothing happens?

Is it cranking over?

And do you have a DMM (multimeter)?
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

The starter relay has probably shit itself.

Thats the grey coloured one.
There are 4 relays on the RH inner guard under a cover. 2 black a brown and the gray one.

The Grey on is for the starter.

Check at the key that the black with red trace wire is getting power in the cranking position.
If it is the realy should be getting its trigger signal.

Then power goes from the relay down to the starter.

Theres also two other wires. One kills the air con compresser when cranking. Dont recall what the other does. You can do without them.
Theres only one Grey relay in the whole car, you coud wire a more common black one in its place.

Thats the Aussie version with the ECGI.
Ive got the (US) Impulse book here, i can check and see if the ITEC is the same. Should be.

Cheers, Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
speedracerles

Post by speedracerles »

I wont know until i go back home to OHIO, im in FLORIDA right now, this is were i live for the year but im going back there in June, i just wanted to star getting some idea's as to what i should be looking for you know...lol

I have the Shop Manual but its not to helpful with some things... when I get there i will get back online and go through it with you all then and i will even post Video of the Whole thing as well... Thanks Guys it really means alot to me with the help...

Keep it coming...lol
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

So what happened with the hot/fast engines etc?

Or are they still standard with standard wiring, ECU etc?
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

JUST IN CASE, CHECK THIS. ONE COMMON REASON FOR NOT STARTING IS THAT SOMEONE HAS PLAYED WITH THE RADIO WIRING LOOM. THIS LOOM ALSO RUNS DOWN UNDER THE CONSOLE AND INCLUDES PARKING BRAKE WARNING LIGHT SWITCH AS WELL AS THE LOOM WIRES FOR AUTO TRANS. LOCKOUT UNLESS IN "N" OR "P". IN AUTO CARS IT WIRES TO THE SHIFTER, IN MANUAL CARS IT HAS A SIMPLE BRIDGING PLUG ON THE END. IF THE BRIDGING PLUG IS MISSING OR THE WIRES ARE DAMAGED THE ENGINE WON'T TURN OVER. EVEN IF YOU TURN YOUR ENGINE OVER BY DIRECT JUMP ON THE SOLENOID IT WON'T START.
So many cars, so little cash
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Wedgy - shhhh!
(LOL!)

Good to read you again.
Bluddy Triumph(s). (But still love their nakeds - having noted yet another yesterday.)

PS - I'm still unsure of the "nothing" that happens.
Bob has probably nailed it (easily checked with a bypass link; and shorting the starter solenoid terminal to its adjacent heavy battery +12V confirms battery, its wiring, and the starter's operation).

But you point is excellent.

However I'd expect speedracerles to have a manual - but that's based on all the requests he has had for go-fast mods etc (get a twincam!).
Oh - I get it - the last s is missing of Les. I am so stoopid! (But you & readers know that.)
Last edited by IZU069 on Fri May 07, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Yeah they bring me out of the home for the terminally bewildered once in a while to let me see daylight and log on here.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

wedgenut wrote:...terminally bewildered...
You mean there is help - or even a sanctuary - for people like us?

Alas the only challenges were the arguments, and they don't exist anymore. They have gone the way of car electrics and fuel-pump relays - flaming.

Discussions are still confined to those in the know - the Wedgys, Poidas, Bobs, to name a few.

But you are still quick - you beat my PS above! (Trans Tasman is obviously so much faster than trans-Pacific. Then again, you guys are ahead of us - as always.)
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

LOL good to see you west islanders know your place. I discovered recently that south australians are merely tasmanians that learned to swim. WHO KNEW THAT????
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Ha! Well I didn't.

I've known of the Tassie invasion of the north island for quite some time.
It's been a bit like the Kiwi invasions - thou more so talented musicians whilst their innovative industries stay put (or get exported thanks to north islander sentiments).

The SATs (SA-Tassies) must have sent benefits back south though - the reversal of f.ex attitudes to gays has been quite remarkable - from the lowest tolerance many years ago (rumour was they were even going to ban bent bananas!) to a record high - I think ~97%.
That may have been the end of the north islanders poofta bashing having replaced that with the newer islander bashing. (We hate change! Even out opposition party knows what a waste a broadband network is. I think they want back to a single income with a parent at home, 5.5 day trading etc. (They have partly succeeded - the few women with jobs are back to 50% pay scales - down from the 70% of the 70's & 80's an the 90% of the 80's-90's.)

But I'd better stop there...
I've gotta go anyhow & pick up the woman.
It's a lovely sunny day so those southerner pale skins should be easy to spot.

I thank you yet again Wedgy for your informative education.
You guys must still have some form of education or information.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

The balck wire with the white trace that is for the starter solenoid goes down to the starter with the main power cable from the battery.

You can unplug the connector right near the battey terminal and short that to the batteyr termial to check cranking.

Thanks for answering my question Wedgy. Im stripping a Piazza at the moment and it wouldnt crank to comp test the motor before i pulled it out. Yep i had the console out.

I shorted it as per above.

Cheers, Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.