Holden Piazza compliance plate dates.

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
sbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Holden Piazza compliance plate dates.

Post by sbs »

Hi there folks,
Heres a nice simple question for all you folks who know your Holden Piazza history - what is the earliest date known on the compliance plate of Holden badged Piazzas? It is obvious that Holdens had to have had an official release date for the Piazza so when was it?
I have a January 1986 and a June 1986 Australian compliance plate on my cars - what have you other collectors got? It will nice to see what comes up. Thanks guys and keep the spirit alive, sbs.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

4&5/86 (April & May 1986).

I would have expected 2 dates - maybe with each over 2 months.
But maybe Isuzu didn't JIT their production for the two 3-month deliveries, hence maybe a 6-month span?
If so, I'm betting your Jan-June '86 range in that case - unless their were a few samples as their were for GT Belletts, 117s etc.
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
sbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by sbs »

Hi there IZU,
Thanks for your observations, it all adds to the knowledge base. I imagine, looking at your compliance plate dates, that their must be dates running through the various months of 1986-87. I wonder if my January dated car was amongst the very first to be checked for Australian compliance requirements? Maybe a few other owners can add to this discussion.
As I said above it will be nice to see what comes up. sbs.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

I doubt 1987. It was only 2 orders. 3 months apart from memory.
And by 1987 the new shell was well into production. But....

I was told the story (the dates, numbers etc) but Piazza was a mere distraction at the time, and I never thought to quiz things like who put the plates on (though I assume GMH), otherwise each production date cannot be later than the import dates.

I'm not sure if the landing dates were mentioned in the Lemon book, though I think the book got GMH's version of the numbers (and maybe only ONE import batch??).

[Geez man - I did have detailed knowledge of Bellett GT-R manufacture and I did ask the knurly's regarding them (since the were of great interest to me), but even those details are now misty. Not that I worried about securing or keeping documents or details.... But Belletts etc were fully assembled in Japan whereas I'm not sure of GMH content in the Piazza. Though maybe GMH fitted the dizzy & Bosch EFI because I'm sure Isuzu would have been too embarrassed, else lacked the ancient skills required. Hence plates could be dated much later than the Isuzu manufacture date.]

But yes - it could be interesting.....
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

I have two out the front that are going to scrap on monday.

Both are built May 86.

On a little side note, both the white ones ive had were rust buckets.

Bob
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.