Current source for steering rack bushes?

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
archangel62

Post by archangel62 »

Time to spill. I got the genuines from IPTOC. He was great to deal with. Also, I have no doubt whatsoever that they're genuine parts.

Here's my report. This all applies to the driver's side (since both kinds of passenger mount were fine). The bush fit snug against the rack itself, where the superpro's did not (superpro's were too narrow for the rack itself). However, the crevasse in the middle for the retaining bracket was too wide! Or, my retaining bracket too narrow (on a sidenote, the superpro's sat flush with the retaining bracket).

This leads me to believe that, internationally speaking, there were the following variants with the driver's side mount. The bushes available are as follows:
-Wider steering rack crevasse, with a wider retaining bracket to match (IPTOC Isuzu NOS)
-Narrower steering rack crevasse, with a narrower retaining bracket (Superpro Australian replacement bushes)

However my car had the wider steering rack crevasse, and narrower retaining bracket. Whether this was a variant too, or if my car's just retarded/mismatched, I don't know. What I do know, is that Gemini bits don't interchange, and I'm buggered if I knew where to get anything else.

So, I used the (wider) OEM rubber, which sat flush with the rack itself, and cut and shut the retaining bracket to be wider, thus sitting firmly inside the recess in the bush itself, and eliminating excessive rack play. I can post pictures, it looks a bit of a butchery, but I got a ton of heat in it and I have no doubt of its strength. I'd have loved to do something like this and use nolathane, but this will have to do. When the time comes, in years' time, I'll probably just cut/lathe something up out of polyurethane.
Indigo - '76 TX Gemini sedan, G180W+T project,
Abigail - '81 TE sedan, white, G180W ITB project,
New Hotness - TG Gemini drift car, orange, 4ZE1+T
Tardis - 1986 Piazza 4ZC1-T, black, forged, 136rwkw @13psi
Coupe - TX coupe grip car, "do it later", G180W+twin carbs
Trevor aka Jimmy's Gem - Grandpa-spec TD
BA Falcon - Tow car
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Anyone like licorice?
I replaced the 8 "melted" stabiliser rubbers today. I used SPF2755SK, polyurethane SuperPro/Fulcrum, common upper shocker bushes. 2 sets of 4 for $24 total (Bursons).

I asked about rack rubbers SPF1655K. They are available and $36. (Bursons)
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
archangel62

Post by archangel62 »

Nice on the swaybar links, mine are majorly kaputnic, but I know they're fairly generic. I reckon the "filthy Gemini" items would fit. Hell, even my R31 bushes would probably fit on the 'links. I just have to get around to throwing some in there!

Yeah, SuperPro SPF1655K - I've ordered, received and tried them. No good with my steering rack. They fit snug with my brackets, but were too narrow for the rack itself, so they slop around. Passenger side was fine, though. Be wary before purchasing - if your steering rack is like mine, you may have issues. If all else fails, you could make up a "washer" of sorts to sit on either side of the bush, between the bush and the rack itself.
Indigo - '76 TX Gemini sedan, G180W+T project,
Abigail - '81 TE sedan, white, G180W ITB project,
New Hotness - TG Gemini drift car, orange, 4ZE1+T
Tardis - 1986 Piazza 4ZC1-T, black, forged, 136rwkw @13psi
Coupe - TX coupe grip car, "do it later", G180W+twin carbs
Trevor aka Jimmy's Gem - Grandpa-spec TD
BA Falcon - Tow car