Piazza Handling

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
golum
Probationary
Probationary

Piazza Handling

Post by golum »

Bit bored so i read up on piazza's.
from alot of reviews it seems that the piazzas handle like umm "dogs balls". This was mainly cause of the front end weight bias? so to change all that would you lower the car and make the suspension stiffer? or do you knockout a random person and strap them to your boot?
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Nah move the engine back about a foot.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Piazzas poor handling was due to a number of things, including the fact that 61% of the weight was over the front axle. This isnt the only problem though. Most FWD cars have that amount of weight over the front yet still handle good [que Honda Type R and JT Geminis] - it comes down to suspension setup.

One thing that definately needs attention is spring rates. Part of the handling problem is weight transfer - for the moment im pinning it on the standard springs as i have a feeling they are way to soft. Im currently trying to track down aftermarket lowered springs with a stiffer spring weight which should fix things considerably.

Hrm, the Handling By Lotus or Irmscher Piazza suspension would be good....

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

As soon as you lower a piazza it seems to go alot better in the handling part. I am not talking about cutting springs here (you animals) :partyman: .

And if you still want a bid more weight in the back get a few subs and some amps. :supz: :snakeman:
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo
shorty

Post by shorty »

depens on what you want the car to do as well. i mean if you want to be able to go into a corner and throw the arse end out ala drift style then they have the perfect setup for that just like a silva does. but if you want a fast track car then that is a different story but it is like anything all you need is practise and the car will do want you want it to do
Matt
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Matt »

I currently have a set of these in my posession. They are bolt on wheel spacers to suit the 4x100mm stud pattern.

If anyone is interested in them let me know and I will get a price on coping them.

Matt
Bartamann
Probationary
Probationary

Cheap handling fix

Post by Bartamann »

I had my Piazza lowered a few years ago due to the car being higher to one side. The only way the guy could fix was to lower it the other side. I then had better handling. Well it takes some time to get to know your limitations on this car (The great ocean road proved that !) Anyway back to subject ! I recently got my boy back on the road and heard that Nitrogen in tyres can help with ride and handling. I found that it seemed to stick to the road round corners better. I paid $6 for each tyre at Bob Jane.
Matt
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Matt »

Free top ups too I hear if you go back to bob jane Bartamann?.

The air doesnt leak out as much as :normal" air in your tires as well.

Matt
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

And your tyres run colder, which is good at high speed.

Dont ever top em up with air.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Bartamann
Probationary
Probationary

Post by Bartamann »

Yes you can always go back to the same place where you got the nitrogen in your tyres for a free top up for the life of the tyres.
poida
APC Member
APC Member

Post by poida »

Matt wrote:I currently have a set of these in my posession. They are bolt on wheel spacers to suit the 4x100mm stud pattern.

If anyone is interested in them let me know and I will get a price on coping them.

Matt
Just one very important thing about that type of wheel spacers. Totally illegal in all states.

Keep in mind these appear to be pretty deep. That means the wheel nuts are barely able to locate on the original studs. Even by replacing all the original studs with a set equally longer as the additional thickness of the spacers, you place additional stresses on the wheel mounts.

It may never happen but the likelyhood of fatigue occuring and studs failing is significantly increased especially if you like to push the car hard through corners.