Rear wiper park position change

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rear wiper park position change

Post by wedgenut »

For those that convert to the two or three leg high spoiler it is worthwhile changing the wiper arm park position. It is not a difficult job but you do have to remove the wiper motor from the car. That is fairly straightforward so I won't cover the removal job. Once you have it on the bench remove the clip from the spindle on the back of the wheel box, it isn't a spring circlip as such, it is a soft clip so open only as far as required to slip it off.

Turn over the assembly and remove the screws holding the mounting plate.

In this image the wiper is in mid sweep position and the normal rest position will have the gear wheel crank pivot at either 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position subject to whether it is a horizontal or vertical park set up. So don't be surprised if yours looks different when you open it up.

Gently push the crank spindle spindle up from behind while holding the worm wheel down until the cross bar is free of the plastic inset groove, it won't come up very far as it is still connected at the other end but it WILL come up far enough to come free to rotate (the wheel can't come up far as the worm shaft will prevent it from lifting out but it pays to hold it down to prevent tooth damage and make rotation of the crank easier). Now rotate the spindle 180 degrees anti clockwise and press it back in. It is important to not let the worm wheel turn during this as the park position electrical contacts are on the back of it, it probably won't turn anyway due to the drive mesh but keep it still with one of your big hairy thumbs just in case.

Refit the mounting plate (not forgetting the earth wire tag and refit the clip on the spindle and squeeze closed make sure it is properly in the groove.

Congratulations you now have a vertical park wiper arm.
Last edited by wedgenut on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
So many cars, so little cash
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Freakin genius. Thanks.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Wedgy if I may add something to your thread, but I don't want to upset you with what I discovered.

I tackled this task the other day and I noticed something not adding up in your 3rd picture, because the crossbar location is sitting in a different position to mine. I have to ask the question. Has this wiper assembly has been played with before? In my wiper assembly the crossbar was sitting in the position below. The wheel position in yours and mine is in identical orientation, but it's the crossbar in your photo that is sitting 90 degrees anticlockwise:

You can see a small recess in the wheel, which is clearly visible in your picture. This is where the pivoting part of the crossbar should be sitting because of a small lump behind that part of the crossbar. There are no other recesses on the wheel. The recess is important because repositioning the crossbar in any other position will mean the crossbar won't be seated flat and you won't be able to re-attach the circlip back into the crank spindle.

In your last pic it is clear you have rotated the crossbar 180 degrees, but you also moved the wheel 90 degrees clockwise so that the recess is sitting underneath the pivot part of the crossbar, and therefore able to re-attach the circlip. In effect you ended up at its factory setting, albeit with the wheel in it's mid sweep position.

Now can I tell what I did. I did what you said and simply re-positioned the crossbar 180 degrees. But because the other end of the wheel where the crossbar was going to sit didn't have a recess I used a drill-bit to create a new recess:

The drill-bit had a very shallow angle to try and mimic the original recess shape, and I wanted to avoid whatever was on the other side of the wheel. I was then able to press the crossbar in and attach the circlip.

I still have to get the wiper assembly installed and powered up but I hope it worked. If it hasn't then I fucked it up and will admit that I wasn't able to comprehend your genius.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

You may very well be correct. I have quite a few rear motors and I grabbed one for illlustration purposes and it COULD have been messed with before. As I think I said earlier, whenh you switch off the wiper normally it will park where it is meant to. Unfortunately when you have a bare motor in your hand and you power it up straight off the battery to the motor terminals to check if it is working it won't park when you disconnect. So probably all of mine are sitting in random positions as they have all been tested off a battery. I also see what you are saying about the recess but I didn't have that problem, it seated in okay and the circlip went on fine! Maybe it had been played with. Either way what you have done seems logical, well thought out and well executed. You are well on the way to being a new Piazza wizzard. The Piazza mantra is, recognise there is a problem, identify the problem, find a solution. We need new people like you coming through to carry on the good work in improving the knowledge. These are compliments in case you didn't know. Don't thank me just send money, beer or women. If women are ugly send lots of beer.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

I can send plenty of women if you want. You'll just have to blow them up and you're on your way :heart:
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

I'm a bit fussy, only like the ones with electric moving parts