Rust

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
Piazzish

Rust

Post by Piazzish »

A kinda random thread, but I just wanted to show you guys the rust damadge on cars here. Are these rust areas usual in australia too ?
Do australian cars have rust protected underbodies ?
Guess your cars are a lot better down there!
My red piazza:
Another nordic Piazza:

Other typical rust areas are under the battery plate, under the air filter and engine bay/inner wheel arch.
1989 Isuzu Piazza JR120 Lotus Turbo Red 92000km
1989 Isuzu Piazza JR120 Lotus Turbo White 183000km
1987 Isuzu Piazza JR120 Pre-Lotus Turbo Red 131000km
1984 Isuzu Piazza JR130 N/A Two-tone 145000km
1984 Isuzu Piazza JR130 N/A Black 92000km
1989 Isuzu Gemini JT190 Red 173000km
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Wow

We don't get anything like that here due to not having snow & salt on the roads.

Only problems we have really is due battery acid or brake fluid leaks ruining the paint and letting rust start, or a couple of places where water can pool like the rear hatch window if the seal begins to fail.
Last edited by Bugle on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Never(?) that bad, but we don't salt our roads.

Our rust spots tend to be the rear hatch (below the window), and maybe below the front windscreen if it leaks into the cabin.
Maybe too the sil panel and wheel arches, but not that bad.
(Others may qualify and add to what I've just written.)

RodeoBob once commented that his white Piazzas have had bad or much worse rust than other colors, and was questioning if this was mere chance/coincidence, or it something to do with the paint.

I'll cut off the cabin from my silver Piazza and send it over... (Just joking - though I might swap for studded tyres - they "force" us to used chains down here!)
I have seen Nordic cars in such conditions repaired - but it still bewilders and amazes me. (Obviously they DIY or bartar - who could afford to pay for such work?)

It puts us non-polar countries to shame, except for some seaside places (like Sydney?) that can get that rust throughout their car. (Our seawater has a 3.5-4.5% salt content.)
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Now that's what I call rusted out. Please tell me it's repairable. I've never seen any car in that bad shape.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Everything is repairable.

Whether its practical is another issue, and that depends on the owner's determination. (Or sometimes - in retrospect - their "sillyness" based on what some mates say, and IMO in other cases, stupidity!)

For someone in Oz or NZ to repair that would probably be silly.
But in Norway, it's not uncommon - especially for rare vehicles. (Besides, only the Swedes are stupid. ;) )
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

I feel for you Piazzish because I know how passionate your are about these cars. It must be gut wrenching to see her in this state.
Piazzish

Post by Piazzish »

Thanks for your kind words Eyecon, and yes its always sad to see these cars in bad shape. I am like the person who wants to fix all of my cars and get them on the road again, but thats probably not gonna happen.

I only use my Piazzas in the summer. When the winter comes, Im storing them in the garage.

Speaking of rust, I've seen much worse piazzas than my red one.

This piazza I'm going to show you now is probably the most rusted out piazza you'll ever see.
This is the piazza I visited a few months ago:
1989 Isuzu Piazza JR120 Lotus Turbo Red 92000km
1989 Isuzu Piazza JR120 Lotus Turbo White 183000km
1987 Isuzu Piazza JR120 Pre-Lotus Turbo Red 131000km
1984 Isuzu Piazza JR130 N/A Two-tone 145000km
1984 Isuzu Piazza JR130 N/A Black 92000km
1989 Isuzu Gemini JT190 Red 173000km
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Yep. It should have been in Piazza heaven long time ago.
archangel62

Post by archangel62 »

Holy crap! I've never seen standard seats in green! And now I'm scared to take my sideskirts off.

My Piazza had a hole rusted in the two skins of the battery tray, it has rust around the bottom sill of the rear window (note that mine didn't have a wing, ones that did are worse), some rust starting in the top of the firewall, and further down beneath the clutch/brake masters near the chassis rail.

The firewall and chassis rail stuff hadn't eaten in much at all so I just cleaned it up and painted it. I plated the double skin by the battery tray with one thick plate of of metal, and I'll be removing the rear window and attacking (most likely plating) the rust on the bootlid by the rear window sill.
Indigo - '76 TX Gemini sedan, G180W+T project,
Abigail - '81 TE sedan, white, G180W ITB project,
New Hotness - TG Gemini drift car, orange, 4ZE1+T
Tardis - 1986 Piazza 4ZC1-T, black, forged, 136rwkw @13psi
Coupe - TX coupe grip car, "do it later", G180W+twin carbs
Trevor aka Jimmy's Gem - Grandpa-spec TD
BA Falcon - Tow car
ImpulseRocket89

Post by ImpulseRocket89 »

This is the exact reason I want to media blast my whole car down to bare metal. My car spent most of its life in the southern US, and the last couple of years in the salty north, which caused a little rust to start in a few places. Nothing bad, but I have spotted it here and there. I want to re-paint it anyway, so why not go all out...
1988 Isuzu Impulse Turbo.
2005 Ford Crown Victoria LX

RIP 1989 Impulse Turbo, aka "Rakete"