Ventilation dramas/Cruise Control

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Ventilation dramas/Cruise Control

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Been playing around with the car lately and have been making a few discoveries, some which are not wanted. First being the ventillation system. Ive tried all the buttons, all the settings, turned it onto max speed and not a puff of air is coming out of the vents. Silence. No noise, no action. Any idea? Im pretty sure i tried it with the key on ACC and the car on, same deal with both.

Also had a closer look at the throttle body today. Like most cruise control setups, theres two channels for cables - one being the accel cable and the other being the cruise cable [curse cable? lol]. There is no cable where the cruise cable is supposed to be. Where is this supposed to lead, and why is there no tab on the rocker cover where the cable is supposed to be held? [much like the throttle cable].

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Guess the fans broken.. THat'll be fun to remove :)

The cruise actuator is on the drivers side of the engine bay big round thing. Has a cable going from that through the firewall to the accelerator pedal, rather than working directly on the throttle body.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

I suppose you have checked the fuse to the blower motor, apart from the main fuse in the fuse block some models have an inline one next to the fan motor as well. If it is not a climate control model and fuses are okay then check the blower motor resistor pack in the air tube behind the glove box. If it is climate control and the fuses are okay and the motor itself is fine you either have a wiring fault, circuit board fault on the switch pod or the nasty impossible to get at brain clipped up above the clutch pedal is stuffed.

Been there done that good luck
shorty

Post by shorty »

when i had my grey piazza i had a dickie ac motor or so i thought. turned out it was the circuit board or something around that area in the control unit thing that is on the side of the dash. when i pulled it apart and had a fiddel it would work and then after a couple of days it would stop again. so check that as well
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

Another problem why most CC dont work is due that mechanics disconnected vacume houses and didnt put them back on.
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo
piazza-crx
APC Member
APC Member

Post by piazza-crx »

Speaking of cruise control vacuum hoses and the fact that most cruise control systems dont work anyway, does anyone know which hoses are related to that and can be removed/blocked which would make the engine a little less messy????
If Gemini's were ever meant to go fast, they would have come out of the factory with 4zc1t engines!!

Business CD Solutions
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

As far as I know, there are quite a large number of hoses which can be removed without influencing the performance.

If you have a Manual you will find out for yourself.

AC, Cruise are two of the things what could save you space, weight and make the engine look more tidy
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

piazza-crx
APC Member
APC Member

Post by piazza-crx »

I only have the Chilton's manual at the moment, whcih is kinda crappy. Plus Im no mechanic, so interpreting a vacuum diagram is beyond me.
If Gemini's were ever meant to go fast, they would have come out of the factory with 4zc1t engines!!

Business CD Solutions
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

Well you can purchase the YB cd copy for $25 from the APC website.

Just follow the diagramas and u will discover which one does what
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Decided to get off my ass and have a look around...

The cruise control appears to work, when switched on all corresponding lights on the dash etc turn on, so it has power. Also, speed control unit is connected so im assuming it would work if activated whilst driving.

The ventillation on the other hand - dead as a door nail. Switch A/C and all the other pretty [ :vom: ] little buttons on the sattelite pod and nothing goes on, nothing at all - no lights no nothing. So im assuming its a power related thing. Went to check the fuses in the fuse box and it said "Blower Fan fuse under blower fan case". Excuse the stupid question, but where the fuck is the blower fan?

Nick-
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Blower fan is hiding behind the glove box, but if you have no lights at all on the control panel for heating/ac i suspect it is more than the blower fuse. It might just be one of the multi plugs that sneak down the side of the column. It is not unusual for someone to route them (more like bloody root them) in such a way they get interfered with (OOOH!) by the steering column position lever. Every time you show off your flash multi position column it knackers more wires or yanks out a plug or two. That would be my first look and it is a heap easier with the speedo out and column covers off to see what is going on. If they are all okay it might be the nasty sneaky control unit tucked up on the side of teh heater box. To find that just reach up under the dash above the clutch pedal and the bit you can't reach is it...bastard of a thing. I suppose you have checked the main relays etc. The wiring diagrams in the YB manual are excellent for trouble shooting circuits.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

wedgenut wrote: The wiring diagrams in the YB manual are excellent for trouble shooting circuits.
FOr people who can read em. lol. Ive seen lots of "smart" people that cant think that latteraly.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Education time.
For people who don't know about automotive electrics, here is a short tutorial. It is a common misconception that car electrics carry electricity WRONG. The basic source of power in car wiring is smoke! The battery is really just a smoke tank and the alternator is the smoke generator, all the wires are really pipes to carry the smoke around the car where it powers all the devices, the bigger the pipe the more smoke it carries...true. Thats why if something shits itself there is smoke everywhere. As everyone knows there is no smoke without fire so if you break one of the pipes and the smoke leaks out, oxygen in the atmosphere can assist combustion. hence the sparks and possibly flames and melting plastic! So the next time something "electric" dies on your car just ring up the local auto electrician and tell him all the smoke has leaked out and can he please fill it up again. That is why they don't like you watching what they are up to, they stick their head under the dash, take a couple of drags on the old Marlboro cancer stick, re inflate your pipes and wrap it up in sticky tape to keep it in. There the secret is out, pass me another of those home rolled thingies please I have another trip planned to a planet far far away!
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Thing is, other items on the LHS control panel work bar anything related to the ventillation. The window washer/wiper switches work - unless these for some reason run on a different plug?

I hate wiring, especially wiring in second hand cars - you never know whos been there and butchered it before you.

Wedgenut - im begining to wonder what smoke youve been inhaling :weedman: lol

Nick-
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

How dare you suggest i might be inhaling anything other than gods pure air, cough! cough!.

In the sixties it was the done thing to try everything at least once, or twice, maybe more.. I remember them days well.............actually no I don't remember them that well so they must have been good times.

Where was I? Oh yes, there are three or four seperate plugs out of that pod assembly. I thnk there is a green one, a black one a brown one and one with a bit of shite on. Worth checking. From factory the connectors are covered in a foam sleeve to stop them rattling against things so it is easy to see if they have been tampered with but it might be as simple as one wire in one connector that has been overstrained and pulled its pin or broken internally. I had to take four wires out of one of my multi plugs and re connect on seperate bullets cos the pins were stuffed. It is a ballache of a job checking every wire from connector to switch but might be worthwhile. a $10.00 multimeter or test lamp is all you need. If it all checks out at least you have eliminated that section. I found my faults by using the Multimeter from wire to wire on either sid of the connecter. I attached sewing needles to the croc clips on the Multimeter to stab the wires. You can use the multimeter to check all the switch functions as well.

If none of that works convince yourself you don't need heating or aircon anyway.