Filings

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
piazza-crx
APC Member
APC Member

Filings

Post by piazza-crx »

I am losing coolant but there are no leaks. Now Im finding metal (looks like lead pencil shavings) filings in my coolant. Anyone know what thats from? Is it from the turbo - that would explain the unexplained coolant loss and possibly the filings. Any know???
If Gemini's were ever meant to go fast, they would have come out of the factory with 4zc1t engines!!

Business CD Solutions
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Nah water just flows through a water jacket in the turbo theres no way filings are going to get into the water there. The water pump may be on its way out, grinding itself to pieces and leaking..
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Im with bugle.

Beg or borrow a pressure tester and test your cooling system.

If it is and you take it off, i will need some pics to be sure but i might have a match for it.

Cheers. Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
shorty

Post by shorty »

loss of water and metal shaving in the water. what color is the smoke coming out of the exhaust. if it is a white color like steam then it coulod be much worse like the head is coroding away or something like that. defently need to pressure test it to try and locate the problem area better
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

I was going to say waterpump as well. Usually when its about to cark it water leaks out of the "service" hole located under the main shaft/pulley. Good luck trying to see that in a Piazza though. Run the car and see if you get coolant tickling down the timing case, thats usually the dead give away.

Dont think its the head corroding, rusted chunks of metal look significantly different to filings :yawinkle:

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z