Piazza "What Da..." Files..

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

That's what the turbo computer uses to control boost. It's supposed to give you extra boost if you floor it. I don't think mine was working on the original turbo and I was only getting 4psi. But maybe the wastegate actuator itself was stuffed.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

I wouldn't remove that dude...you don't want a floppy wastegate!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

It upps the boost a bit under aceleration if the engine is at normal operating temp, and it dosen't see any knock.

Tommy
Matt
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Matt »

Nick,

My number 1 has been off for over 7 months now with no bad effects. I have a turbo timer on mine. I replaced the water and oil banjos on my turbo about 6 months ago as a precaution. Cost me just over $5 each for the 4. good thing too the standard on has ony 1 hole and the replacements have 3 holes.

New what the? I have taken that thing off too and have seen no difference in the way the car drives.

Each time I do some thing I disconect the wiring first drive around normally and see if anything happens with the car. I f nothing happens I take it off all together and see again.

Matt
Check out my stuff again. got to go dont want to toss it in the bin. please buy it.

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZaidenspaidenQQhtZ-1
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

The way the new thing works is it pulls against the vac pot wastegate actuator to keep it closed longer and build more boost. So having it there if its working is a good thing.

So the electric thingy over rides the boost level set by the diaghfram, so it must have a bit of pull strength to be able to hold the wastegate closed against both the vac pot and exhaust pressure.

If you unhook the cable it wont flop as the vac one is still hooked up. You could remove the electric and fit up a bleed type to the vac control. Or find out whats going on and keep both.

Id hook up a good boost guage and see what going on before changing it. As suggested unhook it and see whats what before removing it completely.

I wonder if theres something that can be done in the computer circuitry to make it build way higher boost than its meant to. And also have it so its switch on and off. Instant dual boost modes.
If yours is knackered Bugle, rip it to bits for a look see.

Cheers. Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Mine was flashing error codes on the computer but that was before I knew what they meant now that i've got the manual i've got the codes and can figure out whats happening. I'm getting another turbo computer that I can pull apart to see if its possible to change the program in it.
pizza
Learner
Learner

Post by pizza »

i thought the solenoid and cable pulled the wastegate open, piazzas have a knock sensor under the inlet manifold between cyls 2 and 3, they also have a knock computer, my idea was that the knock computer could lower boost via the wastegate directly with the solenoid if the engines detonated (pinged). if the cable controll all bost levels, then why does it even have a diaphram actuator?

im not sure but i think the knock computer could also retard the ignition timing by the 2 wires coming out of the igniter pack on the coil (green plug) by intercepting the signal. they run fine with this disconnected too

as for the blower aimed at the dizzy- crazy

it probably turns on at a set engine temp, and it only comes on once the car is switched off because the motor heat soakes
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Nah the wastegate actuator opens the wastegate, the cable pulls it shut to give more boost. I think the idea is that the normal wastegate actuator is set to 7psi. Then when you floor it it pulls the wastegate shut a bit to give you more boost. Yeah the turbo computer does take a signal from the knock computer so it probably wouldn't increase the boost if it detects knocking.

Yeah i'd say the igniter is a special one that can retard the ignition if the knock computer says so..
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Oh yer this is the logic for the injector blower thing
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Bugle wrote:Nah the wastegate actuator opens the wastegate, the cable pulls it shut to give more boost. I think the idea is that the normal wastegate actuator is set to 7psi. Then when you floor it it pulls the wastegate shut a bit to give you more boost. Yeah the turbo computer does take a signal from the knock computer so it probably wouldn't increase the boost if it detects knocking.

Yeah i'd say the igniter is a special one that can retard the ignition if the knock computer says so..
It wouldnt be able to change the angle (retard) at all. It could possibly do something with the dwell/ignighter function that the ignighter module is there for.
Id say that it being connected in there is for a signal more so than as a safety function.
It may have to read something before it will switch ok to the boost computer. Or the other way round, gets the signal to tell it enough is enough.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.