Fitting horn assembly

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
B52

Fitting horn assembly

Post by B52 »

Hi
Just replacing the ignition, butcherd by others and I appear to be a few screws (loose) missing
Have removed the rubber from the plastic horn button.
I assume there are 4 long skinny screws that screw throught the plastic, these screws hold the 4 springs in place and screw into the 4 horn brass things (the ones that have plastic around them to stop connecting current all the time)
If thats the case I'm 4 screws short.
Can someone confirm this?
Cheers
David
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

I've got a standard steering wheel lying around I could pull the front off and have a look..
B52

Post by B52 »

That would be much appreciated.
I'm reasonable sure I am missing those 4 long skinny screws that hold the horn button onto the horn connector things. When I say long they must only be 10-15mm but are only about 1mm thick.
Cheers
David
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Yep I know the bits you mean, the plate is held on by four screws which are insulated and springs hold the plate back against the insulaters. I can measure them up if you want as I have a stripped one lying about somewhere or I can do a photo if you want to see how it fits.
So many cars, so little cash
B52

Post by B52 »

Just by looking at the horn assembly I kinda figured out how it fits so not necessary to take photo's.
I'm missing the 4 skinny screws that screw into the insulated brass things (and hold the springs in place)
I have found in the car a screw that fits but it is not long enough to fit properly (onlu about 5mm long) , so I will try a bolt place to see if they have some.
Bought some from the hardware that were the same size (width) however they were the wrong thread) Has to be a fine thread.
If you could measure the length it would be much appreciated.
Or better yet give me yours.
Just joking.
Cheers
David
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Screws are M3 x 11mm thread length, thread pitch is 0.5mm which is just plain old bog standard metric. If you want the full technical description they are M3 x 0,5p x 11 long Zinc Plated Hex head set screws with phillips drive. Any old pan head would do so I wouldn't worry about getting hex heads. I take it you have all the other bits, insulators, springs, plates etc? If you get really stuck i think i have a complete spare plate for one with everything intact but if you have all the other bits the screws shouldn't be a problem at any decent fastening supply outfit. If they are too long just cut them down to suit.

Cheers
So many cars, so little cash
B52

Post by B52 »

Thats great news.
Yes I have everything else although the plastis backing plate has a few bits broken on it I can live with that.
Can fashon some epoxy paste onto it if necessary.
Screws (size and length) were my only real problem.
Thanks for the detailed info.
Saves me a heap of heartache.
Very very much appreciated.
Cheers
David
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

B52 wrote:Thats great news.
Yes I have everything else although the plastis backing plate has a few bits broken on it I can live with that.
Can fashon some epoxy paste onto it if necessary.
Screws (size and length) were my only real problem.
Thanks for the detailed info.
Saves me a heap of heartache.
Very very much appreciated.
Cheers
David
Youd have to be a bit careful with the plate i would think. If its what im thinking and its not right the rubber pad will keep coming off on you.
They are a stupid design steering wheel same as the late "soft feel" KB. The earlier ones with the two screws from underneath like every other car were much easier to work with.

If you want the screws or some to do the job i could have a look in the shed. Im sure id have some spare in the bolts drawer, Ive got some here to compare to. I could post em over to ya.

Cheers. Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
B52

Post by B52 »

Bob,
If you have some spare screws that would be much appreciated.
Post to
David Balloch
9 Winding Way
Belair SA 5052.
That bloke in Mt. Gambier sound like a real Jerk.
Shame he bought the Piazza in the first place.
Leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you try and help someone and they let you down.
Could of used stronger terminology but not privvy to conversation.
I'm glad I chose to restore although mine does ned some tlc all over (rust spots here there everywhere) Only small but realistically a rust repair and respray would chear up the old girl.
Let me know about the screws.
I can probable get them from A bolt shop which will charge a min $10 for 4 tiny screws.
Thats business i guess.
Cheers
David
tunney

Post by tunney »

there a place on grand juction road next to motor traders
pretty much on the corner of grand juction and church hill road
but heading upto the city the will have the part your looking for
B52

Post by B52 »

Thanks for the feed back.
Will check them out next week and let you know.
Much appreciated all who have given replies.
It's like one big family in this forum, and everyone is genuinely trying to help one another.
Not just take, take, take.
Just refressing to get some possitive feedback and not just someone berating you for either lack of knowledge or in their minds, stupid question.
Cheers all, and thanks.
David
tunney

Post by tunney »

what he said ^^^ everyone is trying to help keep them on the road and all
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Except for him ^^^^ i rekon hes a pretender and he wants to kill Piazzas and feed the good bits to Geminis.

You still want them screws????
Sorry but i havent had a chance to look yet. Been busy, had to go from Melb to Clunes to collect my new "$700 drove it on the trailer 1989 Jackaroo eBay special" and cart it back to Wallan to store it today. Long trip when my under powered ute is doin the pulling. Had her back to first gear up some of them hills.
Damn the bargains to hell. Like i need another car.

Bob.

B52

Post by B52 »

Yes, still in the market for some screws.
Either you have some or I have to slap around the place and go get them from some where. ie. previous post.
Same deal with me. Too many cars, too many projects. No focus on one plan!
Have everything for the Piazza now except for assempling the horn and putting the turbo back on. (a few bolts need to be removed and replaced. Thread broken off.) Should not be too big a deal and then she's ready to roll!.
If she's a no goer I will let you (bob) have the left hand switches for nix. Just a gesture but if she goes, then it's all mine.
Thanks Bob for all your help.
Might not meen much to some but I truely am grateful
Cheers
David.
PS
I'm sure your already aware, as you seem to read all posts, but I have sent brendon in NSW my tow bar.
Didn't charge him anything.
Thought it would be nice to give back something to Piazza members as appreciation for there help.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

B52 wrote:Yes, still in the market for some screws.
Either you have some or I have to slap around the place and go get them from some where. ie. previous post.
Same deal with me. Too many cars, too many projects. No focus on one plan!
Have everything for the Piazza now except for assempling the horn and putting the turbo back on. (a few bolts need to be removed and replaced. Thread broken off.) Should not be too big a deal and then she's ready to roll!.
If she's a no goer I will let you (bob) have the left hand switches for nix. Just a gesture but if she goes, then it's all mine.
Thanks Bob for all your help.
Might not meen much to some but I truely am grateful
Cheers
David.
PS
I'm sure your already aware, as you seem to read all posts, but I have sent brendon in NSW my tow bar.
Didn't charge him anything.
Thought it would be nice to give back something to Piazza members as appreciation for there help.
So the things they say about you arent true then. lol.

It will go so dont be buying a box for them switches just yet. If it dont go im sure you will get it there. Hell you just forked out for a turbo reco the damn thing better go. lol.

Im sure Brendan will appreciate it. Hes been looking for ages.

I dont ming helping out where i can if it keeps a Piazza on the road or at the least someone interested in Piazzas.

The first thing i do tommorw will be look in the white Piazza i stripped the steering column on for them screws. Then into the bolts drawer to find some the same.

Well it might be the second thing i do, ive got to grease the front end of the ute, its been squeaking like a bitch for a week and its givin me the shits.

I hope your daughter is as grateful of the effort youve put in to get her a car going. A rare stand out from the crowd, exotic, turbo charged, intercooled car at that.

Bob.