Service and tune

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
B52

Service and tune

Post by B52 »

Have finally got my Piazza going but it needs a tune.
Anyone in Adelaide know where to get it done.
Obviously need to get it tuned by someone who is experianced with Piazza's.
Cheers
David
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Depends on what you mean by tune? The ignition timing, oil changes etc can be done by yourself, it aint hard. For things like tuning the actual engine itself, look for any reputable workshop with a dyno, and an operator that has experience in adjusting Bosch-type EFI systems.

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
B52

Post by B52 »

Thanks for the advise,
Will do asap.
Cheers
David
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

If i were you David i would just do it myself. Its not hard to do and you can do it with basic equipment. The EFI on the Piazza is basically a whizz bang carby, with a whizz bang boost controler. If its not showing any active faults theres nothing wrong with it and it cant be fixed or adjusted.

No mechanic needed.

Grab a timing light and set the Distributor, you said you pulled it out to get the starter motor off so id say thats all that would be stopping it from running propperly. If by chance youve got the distributor in wrong its easy to reset, line up the timing marks for the crank and cam and the one for the distributor drive is visible once the valve cover is off. Im sure the cam belt timing info is posted up in the workshop section. The cam times up to fire on number 4 cylinder TDC, if you dont know this it can be a little confusing.

Before i put the timing light on it i would check the distributor cap, rotor button and leads to make sure they are OK. Put a new set of spark plugs in it as well. Check the air filter and make sure its servicable. Screw a new filter on it and change the oil and thats about all that can be done.

Even the timing belt is not that hard to replace on a 4Z motor, is yours due???? Might be an idea to change it while your at it. Bit more of a pain in the butt than a Rodeo with the Piazza tip to the front bonnet, best to take it off.

If your wanting to do it yourself i can get you all the info on how to and part numbers you will need. Even if you dont have a timing light or a multimeter (to check the leads) you could buy both and still save $200 on paying mechanic to do it. You only need basic hand tools, screw drivers, spanners and a socket set and a 22mm socket to undo the bolt on the front of the crank. Thats about it.
Chances are unless you get a personal reccomendation on a work shop to do the work your going into the job with the same amount of Piazza experience as the average mechanic.

Cheers. Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
B52

Post by B52 »

Again, thanks for the feedback.
Will set about giving it a go next week and get back to you.
At least it goes all be it a bit rough.
Haven't done anything about fixing the little bugs in the electrics either.
Have been too busy with work etc.
Hopefully I can get everything going soon.
It will probably then just sit in the shed till I try to register it. That probably won't happen till later in the year.
Have also had a lifestyle change, We have bought a house in Noosa Qld. so will be moving up there early next year. Will be a pain in the butt to transfere 5 cars so have to think about downsizing.
If my daughter is not in a position to take it then it may have to go.
Don't want to send it to the gods yet but have to be practical.
Will get her on the road first. While it runs a bit rough she stills goes pretty good.
Cheers
David
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Car carrier. And the tip is to fill the cars with as much stuff as you can, but to leave enough room in em so you can still drive em on.

I hope you get to it before you go.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
B52

Post by B52 »

I believe mst car carriers will not let you put anything in the cars for safty reasons.
Did some tinkering on the piazza this weekend.
The rear window switch soldering is stuffed, so will have to get another.
The passenger side power window is now jammed up with a piece of wood.
Have removed the power window winder.
Wire was wound under the pulley and jammed beyond belief.
Not sure if the motor is stuffed as the battery is flat. (charging now)
Don't fancy rewiring it up, will probably leave it closed. Is only the passenger side.
Who cares about them?
Cheers
David