Need help electric window.

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
Delivery Boy

Need help electric window.

Post by Delivery Boy »

hey guys, had me piazza less than a day and the passenger side electric window thingy has broken...

gonna go source a new one on saturday, but need to know, how do i put it in correctly? like, i've sussed it all out but it doesn't look like anyone other than the asian who put it together first time will be able to get it in there...

any hints/tips?

Thanks guys and sorry to be a pain so early :D
My car stopped leaking oil, does that mean I'm out?
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Its always the fucking passenger side, got the same problem with mine. The plastic arm/support that slides the window up and down on the rail has broken and the window keeps dropping into the door. Replaced it with another fucked one, same deal.

Look off the drivers door for how to put it back in, whatever you do DONT TRY AND REMOVE THE CABLE OFF THE TRACKS ON THE PULLEY. There is WAYYYY too much tension in the cable to get it to slot in again, i learnt the hard way. In the end i just let the old man take care of it.

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Delivery Boy

Post by Delivery Boy »

my cable came off the tracks on the pulley...

strange huh me and geminick tried to get it back on but the cable that wraps around the motor thingy was frayed and causing problems, getting another one saturday, hopefully i can get it in and working without to much hassle...

-Daniel
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

If you are going to get a replacement get the one with the rack instead of the cable, if you really want a cable one i think i have one with a toasted motor. I've not had too many problems replacing them.

Take the two bolts out that hold the glass to the top rail and carefully work the glass out of the door, gives you more room. Disconnect the handle and lock rods from the plastic anti-rattle strap and remove the strap ot one end and rotate it up or down out of the way. Hang your tongue out of the left side of your mouth (right for drivers door) and rotate the assembly from the top (assuming you have taken all of the bolts out) and let the motor come out of the door first and the rest will follow. I changed one with the rack style just last week and they are harder as no flexibility and it only took ten minutes and two bites of the tingue. PS Don't forget to part the wiring connector!

Don't blame the asians as the cable style is probably the italian influence as any Fiat owner will tell you, nah stuff it BLAME THE ASIANS :supz:
So many cars, so little cash
Delivery Boy

Post by Delivery Boy »

Dude, that made NO sense to me lol, where am I supposed to get the motor out of?

I've taken the window glass out, it wasn't held in by bolts, some dodgey sticky shit instead.

I dont understand the "rotate the assemble from the top" Wanna make a video of how to remove for me :D hahaha.

Also I wasn't aware there are 2 forms of electric window on piazza's, when i go pick up my new window mechanism tomorrow I'll be able to check it out, perhaps its gonna be the other style? in that case im fucked.

anyone in brisbane know how to fix this :D
Delivery Boy

Post by Delivery Boy »

oh wait, re reading it again i think i understand,

unbolt the whole lot, and then keeping it as one entire unit pull it out? without removing any of the cables from the pulleys?

then pull it all out from the bottom of the door? if only I was at my house I'd take some pics.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Listen up, DON"t try and dismantle it in the door. There are a bunch of M6 bolts holding the motor plate to the door, there are three more M6 holding the vertical track to the door and two M6 holding the glass brackets to the slidy up and downy rail. These two glass brackets are glued to the glass and shouldn't be taken off. Undo the two bolts and lift the glass up and out from the outside. it gives you more room to play. With the wiring disconnected and all the bolts out you can remove the whole thing intact as described before. The two types are fully interchangeable so you have no worries on that score. as I said i prefer the rack style. Somewhere on the forum there is a picture of the two types side by side that i posted some time ago and If i can find it i will stick it on here again. Let me know if you gaet stuck and i will take some pictures of them as I have some lying about of both types i think.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Reading your last post it sounds like you have already plucked the glass out of the glass brackets, that's a bastard. Buy some Urethane adhesive, NEVER silicone, and glue them back on exactly where they used to be and let it cure for the right amount of time.

To explain, silicone whether it is acid or neutral cure imparts molecules of itself into the surface of the glass and it will prevent anything else bonding properly with it afterwards, and it breaks down over time letting go when you least want it to.
Delivery Boy

Post by Delivery Boy »

oh ok, get some funky shit to hold the window back in. the reason im dismantling this shit is because the window wasn't going up rihgt, so i tried to help it up, and it just fell off and went inside the door, now dads shitty coz his brand new car is sitting outside coz i got the piazza in the garage coz the window dont go up lol.

i'll take som epics of it tomorrow, dont dismantle in car aye. the one in my piazza is fucked, and drivers is VERY SLOW to go up, any suggestions on that?

sorry for typos and stuf, just got home from club and still very drunk.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

The motors are a simple DC brush motor and perhaps a clean of the armature and new brushes will help but make sure first that the slider is lubricated nicely and not all gummed up and that the the door channels are not full of shit. If you have the winder removed put the glass in place and slide it up and down by hand to make sure it is free, and when you put it back together watch that you are not pulling the glass into a stress position to attach it to the winder. I'll tell you why, when cars get a bit old and the door seals start leaking you can't always adjust the door far enough in to make a good seal without maybe touching harder at the top than the bottom, so when the door is close the door frame can be under stress which essentially puts the glass out of direct alignment in the channels so see if it is any faster with the door open first to eliminate that as a cause. If it is still slow watch it going up to see if it is tending to push out or in, in case the frame has been distorted. All of this assumes the motor itself is okay of course.

If you can't nut it out take the motor to an autosparks outfit and ask them to check it out. They can check the amps draw to ensure it isn't just plain tired.

Here is another thing to look at while you have your head in the door, the external waist rubber that wipes on the glass is held in place by about six plastic clips that have a felt backing on them, over the years this felt can get impregnated with shit from dirty glass going up and down and will scratch the shit out of the glass. On most Piazzas it is too late by this time but if your glass isn't scratched already make sure they are clean while you can get to them, if the felt has worn off stick some new stuff on. Get someones mummy or sister to go to the arty craft shop for you to get this stuff as real blokes should never ever go anywhere near places like that. I had to do it once to get some headlining material and I'm still traumatised. Oh and don't try and pull the clips straight down to get them off, slide them sideways to one of the gaps in the rolled lip and they will drop down easily. Hard learned lesson after breaking some DUH!

Here is another tip for free and for nothing, make sure you refit the plastic sheet properly or if it is buggered make up a new one because water pisses in the door handle slot on Piazzas and without the plastic directing it down to the drains it wanders nicely along the lock rods and drips directly down on to the top of your speaker stuffing the membrane before continuing on to drop on the carpet.

Good luck with it.
Delivery Boy

Post by Delivery Boy »

Ok, today was pizza making time and I did a decent job of it today haha. put the lowered by kings srpings in the back and removed the lowered by makita jobbies that were in it.

Koni adjustable rear shocks :) looks like thats something I dont have to change. yay lol.

anyway, back to the electric window, removed the whole setup and once doing it the instructions you gave were spot on, exactly how I got it out.

There we go, as you can see kinda buggered, hoping to have my door delivered either tomorrow or monday and get to work on dismantling that. hopefully I find something a lil better in there...

anything I should do whilst I have it out? Lube anything up with some silicone spray or anything like that?
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Delivery Boy wrote:Lube anything up with some silicone spray or anything like that?
Not sure with the Piazza as i havent delved into the day to day maintinece tweaks yet.

The best lube to use for most stuff is drylube. Comes in a stick. Its not wet so it doesnt attract dirt and dust.

Might work for you, old wedgie will know for sure.

Cheers. Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Bob is right, dry lube is the best. However, those plastic bits on the top rail are the parts that are meant to stay on the glass so whip them off the rail and glue them back on in the exact same place. You say you are getting a complete door? if that is the case and it has a good glass in it you might as well use that instead to save the grief of positioning and glueing.

I see that the fandangly twisty windy cable bit is stuffed but if the motor itself is okay don't chuck it, and you should look at the plastic slider parts because if they are okay and the rail isn't flopping about on the vertical bar too much keep that as well because often the plastic bits all wear out or break and the cable section CAN be repaired, I know because I've done one but sheesh it is a lot of trial and error. As I said, I think I have a cable operated one with a stuffed motor and Piazza parts are too hard to get to go throwing out what might be useful to someone one day, even if it means getting parts A & B from two different places.

That is the real value of the forum i think, one mans trash could be BOB's treasure...you never know! :finga:

If you need any more info about putting it in or setting it up give me a yodel
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

you should look at the plastic slider parts because if they are okay and the rail isn't flopping about on the vertical bar too much keep that as well because often the plastic bits all wear out or break
Which is EXACTLY whats wrong with mine, so Buckna if youve got a spare one of these let me know

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Delivery Boy

Post by Delivery Boy »

Hey Nick, I do beleive these are good on mine, it flops a little, probably about 1-2mm I'd say at most, but it holds in alright, Once I get the other one in I'll tear the left over one apart and express post it to you if you like. see what you can use from it.