Front brake pads.

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
poida
APC Member
APC Member

Front brake pads.

Post by poida »

Is it only me or has anyone else found that Ferodo and Bendix no longer list a replacement brake pad for the Piazza front brake? I have not checked for rear pad listings.

Does anyone have a source for front pads? Does anyone have a part number for the pads?

DBA still show a listing for replacement standard front and rear rotors. It makes you wonder why they would if the brake pads really are NLA in Oz.

I have come across a supplier in the US who has pads for some Impulses but I need to do some more in depth checks to see they are the same pads. may need to do a deal and buy bulk so Piazza owners have a reservoir of replacement brake pads.
piazza-crx
APC Member
APC Member

Post by piazza-crx »

bought a pair of front brake pads about nov last year, from discpads.com. They told me when they ordered them from bendix that it was the very last pair, and wont be making any more. I have also previously order a pair from the USA and they are the same.
If Gemini's were ever meant to go fast, they would have come out of the factory with 4zc1t engines!!

Business CD Solutions
poida
APC Member
APC Member

Post by poida »

Hmmm. Might be time to start searching all the local brake and spare parts companies to see what can be dug up. May also be an idea to check and see what levels of shelf stock DBA have as far as new rotors go. They might still make up a single batch run if needed but that may add to the price too.

What is the part number for these front and rear pads? Does anyone know if a different set listed for another car will work in the Piazza?

I saw a set that look the same on eBay. Does ayone have a definate cross reference to the US Impulse models that use the same brake pads? The list this eBayer shows is:

Part#: D300
Manufacturer: MIGHTY
Part Type: FRONT BRAKE PADS
Total Number of Applications: 15
<-- (I assume they have 15 sets on offer @ US$10.99 per set. Is it worth working on a group bulk buy where the freight costs are shared?)

ISUZU (15) 1983-1989
IMPULSE (15) 1983-1989
1989 L4-1994cc 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin LR9
1989 L4-2254cc 2.3L F/I Vin L
1988 L4-1994cc 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin 4CZ1
1988 L4-1994cc 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin LR9
1988 L4-2254cc 2.3L F/I Vin L
1987 L4-1994cc 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin LR9
1987 L4-1994cc 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin 4CZ1
1986 L4-1949cc 1.9L F/I Vin A
1986 L4-1994cc 2.0L F/I Vin A
1986 L4-1994cc 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin 4CZ1
1985 L4-1994cc 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin G200
1985 L4-1949cc 1.9L F/I Vin A
1985 L4-1994cc 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin 4CZ1
1984 L4-1949cc 1.9L F/I Vin G200Z
1983 L4-1949cc 1.9L F/I Vin G200Z

They have this image on display that looks the same as the pads from the YB Piazza to me...

BUT they also have a small disclaimer text:
NOTE: Due to the high volume of duplicate items sold the picture (s) may not be of the actual part sold in this auction. This is a new, remanufactured or used product as stated in this auction. Auction includes only what is pictured.

I've messaged the seller to do a bit of checking as far as the item listed vs the item shown.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

poida wrote: Part#: D300
Manufacturer: MIGHTY
Part Type: FRONT BRAKE PADS
Total Number of Applications: 15
<-- (I assume they have 15 sets on offer @ US$10.99 per set. Is it worth working on a group bulk buy where the freight costs are shared?)

ISUZU (15) 1983-1989
IMPULSE (15) 1983-1989
1/ 1989 L4-1994cc 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin LR9
2/ 1989 L4-2254cc 2.3L F/I Vin L
3/ 1988 L4-1994cc 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin 4CZ1
4/ 1988 L4-1994cc 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin LR9
5/ 1988 L4-2254cc 2.3L F/I Vin L
6/ 1987 L4-1994cc 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin LR9
7/ 1987 L4-1994cc 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin 4CZ1
8/ 1986 L4-1949cc 1.9L F/I Vin A
9/ 1986 L4-1994cc 2.0L F/I Vin A
10/ 1986 L4-1994cc 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin 4CZ1
11/ 1985 L4-1994cc 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin G200
12/ 1985 L4-1949cc 1.9L F/I Vin A
13/ 1985 L4-1994cc 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin 4CZ1
14/ 1984 L4-1949cc 1.9L F/I Vin G200Z
15/ 1983 L4-1949cc 1.9L F/I Vin G200Z
Im thinking that you lost something in the translation from American to English. lol.

I might be interested in some pad if i cant chase any up locally.
Does this guy sell just brake stuff???? Im after a few other bits as well that can be got OS as aftermarket but not here. Genuine parts are ridiculous.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

I wish these bastards would ship overseas.. Really need some front brake hoses and I can't find em anywhere here. They got brake pads too..
http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/thepar ... l=IMP--004
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

You could try emailing a few mobs on eBay and see if one of them can sort you out.

If not and not for a good price you can get new ones made up.

Bob.

piazza-crx
APC Member
APC Member

Post by piazza-crx »

like i already said, ive bought them from ebay a few years back. The description is exactly what you copied and pasted on your post. THe brakes fit fine. They were happy to post overseas...
If Gemini's were ever meant to go fast, they would have come out of the factory with 4zc1t engines!!

Business CD Solutions
poida
APC Member
APC Member

Post by poida »

Righto, there is no need to go chasing brake bads from overseas at the moment.

I have done some checking and Bendix will still supply a front brake pad to suit. It won't be something you can expect to be found on the local parts shop shelf (unless by fluke they happen to have some old stock) and it doesn't appear in their catalogue listings. These are benig purchased directly through Bendix, not wholesale suppliers. The wait time may be a week or so but that keeps the cost down by ordering as part of a routine stock run. If you want them sooner there would be an extra charge for freight.

I don't know what stock levels there are of these or how long these will be available for but at the moment I can say there are some sets available. If anyone is interested I can get hold of front brake pad sets (Bendix Advance) for approximately AU$50 plus postage to you. Let me know and I'll add to my order.

What can it hurt to have a spare set of pads on hand? Imagine running out of pads then finding the car off the road for weeks waiting to get a set of new brake pads!

At this stage I have not enquired about rear pads but hopefully the same situation will be the case.

The funny thing is that with Piazza brakes being so popular as an upgrade for the Gemini that the pads appear to no longer be available unless you do some serious searching.
poida
APC Member
APC Member

Post by poida »

Bugle wrote:I wish these bastards would ship overseas.. Really need some front brake hoses and I can't find em anywhere here. They got brake pads too..
http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/thepar ... l=IMP--004
I can get hoses made to order. A local brake service manufactures whatever you like. If you have a sample it helps but a diagram with lengths and correct identification of whatever hose end fittings should be sufficient.
Impulsive Yank

Post by Impulsive Yank »

I thought overseas JRs had larger front brakes than US cars. or was it just in Europe? calipers/pads were same as our 1G utes.

*fyi I am willing to ship service parts that may be hard to get or too expensive.
88 Impulse Turbo
will do good deeds for beer :drinkers:
poida
APC Member
APC Member

Post by poida »

Thanks Impulsive Yank.

I finally had a reply to my eBay question today. He says
Shipping is stated in the body of the auction. Thanks!
after I asked them to consider reducing the shipping price by sending in a flat rate post package where the price doesn't alter. They obviously prefer to overcharge shipping fees to make up for what seems a cheap brake set. I hate that type of seller, sorry. You get caught out when the goods are lost in transit, damaged, wrong or fail under warranty because eBay policy will only refund for the value of the goods NOT the shipping/postage component.

So he sells the brakes for US$10.99 ships them to Australia for an additional US$32 where they can be sent in a flat rate envelope for only US$9.50. He states a US$8 postage fee to send ito an address in continental USA. Fine, I have him send to an ex girlfriend who lives in the US, then she sends it to me for less than he quotes me for US9.50. Still gets to me for only US$17.50 after being double mailed.

Go figure.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

haha yea I hate it when they say $5 shipping then you get the package with the postage charge on it which was $1..

Impulsive yank could I pay to get some stuff off thepartsbin.com?
That site looks ok another bit I was after that you cant get in Australia was heater hose and they've got that although there are 2 of them on the car and they don't say which one it is they have. Brake hoses are only $26 US each that'd ahve to be cheaper than getting custom ones made. Shipping would be free to you as well, bonus.
poida
APC Member
APC Member

Post by poida »

Yeah, unfortunately eBay have a fairly blas? attitude about so called "handling fees" and won't take action except under some pretty distinct circumstances.

I have my own beliefs about charging a handling fee. If a seller is a business and it costs them (in time and wages) to mail stuff then I accept a proportional handling fee. In that instance I also expect to be charged GST and get an invoice with the opportunity to claim the GST back as a business deduction. No invoice, no GST equals no "handling fees", pretty simple. Sellers should also state in the listing that they will be charging a handling fee on top of the postage cost. I have refused to continue when a seller hit me up for extra charges they hadn't advised me about prior to winning the sale. That's bad business practice to not disclose all the charges prior to a sale being made. In fact it's a breach of fair trading laws to add additional undisclosed costs after a contract has been made. Winning a sale on eBay is a contract.

Non businesses should not be hitting people up for extra costs.

I have on a few occasions shown an eBayer a more economical method of managing their parcel delivery by suggesting they buy bulk packs of the Australia Post pre paid satchels. The beauty of these is the pre paid nature of having them ready to go and the ability to post out of Post Office hours. Drop them in any street mail box or at the post office in the yellow box if they are "express" satchels. I have actually complained when the postage was excessive and when it arrived it was obvious I had paid less than a third what I was charged. Still, eBay were hesitant to act until I pointed out their own "sellers guide" pages encouraged sellers to use the very same method I suggested prior to being stung bad.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Impulsive Yank wrote:I thought overseas JRs had larger front brakes than US cars. or was it just in Europe? calipers/pads were same as our 1G utes.

*fyi I am willing to ship service parts that may be hard to get or too expensive.
I might take you up on that offer.

I bought some distributor caps (4ZE1 screw on and US I-tec Piazza and early 4ZE1 clip on) from the US a while back. I think they were clear out stock. Im sure you could find me some if i get you the part number, rotors to suit (i think both use the same) would be a good idea too i rekon.

I was also eying off some engine rebuild kits and gasket sets. They seem a lot cheaper than here.

Bob.

piazza-crx
APC Member
APC Member

Post by piazza-crx »

lol. I see it all the time. it pisses me off - coz that way it isnt really an "auction as such. I see items worth $30 selling for 0.99c (even the buy it now price is 0.99c...) and a shipping fee of $27. pathetic i think.

Business CD Solutions