handeling and suspension upgrades

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
speedracerles

Post by speedracerles »

IM thinking about getting some KYB shocks but I dont know which springs to get. you know for the front I mean do I just go with the full set? Also Im still looking for a good cold-air intake system. Thanks
Isuzu impulse turbo, my weapon of choice!
speedracerles

Post by speedracerles »

I have some new shocks to add to the list also, the brand name is alled KYB have you guys seen them yet I think I might be getting them for my ride....do you guy want the part number for this car?

Front- Gas-a-just KG4773A
Rear- Gas-a-just KG5552
and or Rear- 343039

made by KYB shocks and spring
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Yep heard of them okay, KAYABA shcocks are common as OEM equipment on Jap cars and one of the biggest sellers down our way. Same sort of quality/price as Monroe
So many cars, so little cash
speedracerles

Post by speedracerles »

So Im not looking for them then, what is going to get me lower to the ground then....

Also now my car is higher in the front now then the back I think that my shocks are going out as we speek..LOL

Like when I push down on the front end of the car, the back in comes up alot, I dont know what that could be. Im thinking that its the shocks what do you say.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

test of shocks is to push down firmly once and it should come back up and stop. It should be firm to push down. If it goes up and down easily and continues to bounce more than once they are stuffed. Don't know about you septic tanks but over here and in OZ most suspension outfits do a free shock test in the forlorn hope you will choose them to fix the problem when in fact you will do what most people will do and dodge off down to the discount warehouse instead. But hey, why not!
So many cars, so little cash
speedracerles

Post by speedracerles »

So what would give me the best overall performance, I know I need to get some new busching as well let me know what you think?...
speedracerles

Post by speedracerles »

So does anyone have any idea?
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

I don't know for the Piazza, but I always went for KONI.
But recently I looked at prices and now I just swear, I'm glad I pulled those KONIs off that Jackaroo for $11 each last year - I thought they were only a couple off $hundred each.

And I have been VERY impressed by KYB.
They were standard on Isuzu Belletts etc (1960s) and they lasted ages.

When I had to replace the front shockers on my Wasp (1965 Bellett ute), I was surprised that KYB were available (read: existed).
They were the cheapest too. Munro & Pedders cost about 20-40% more and I wouldn't touch them.
Seven years later, I am impressed by the Wasp's handling.

I recently pondered the issue considering I took the 4WD-only Cape Tribulation to Cooktown and return just after fitting the KYBs (why do 4WDs drive so slow over rocky roads with 30% inclines?).

Plus my lust for dirt roads. Like many experienced drivers, I speed up for the rough tracks - better to fly over the corrugations and bumps than drive in them.

My pondering? Are KYBs better than KONIs? Hard to tell in the Wasp, but I haven't forgotten my 1,000km old KONIs that jumped their bottom donuts after the 1770 road (Bellett). Later in Townsville, polyurethane donuts that "will never push out" pushed out 4,000km later. (Those KONIs now have Holden HQ-type donut bases welded on.)

And I think KYBs are about 1/10th the RRP price of KONIs. (Maybe only 1/5th?)

If the same follows for the Piazza, I'd go KYB. You can go KONI later on if possible.
As I said, I don't like Munro or Pedders. Those and other reconditioned "heavy duty" Holden (HQ etc) shockers I used would bend. One even snapped its shaft.
And I don't like gas shocks. Fit air bags or tennis balls instead.

As to Bilstiens, Fornales, etc, I generally have only read. Go KYB.

Good luck.
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.