My 89 'Pulse Turbo

General Bellett, Gemini 75-98, Piazza 81-93, Bellel, Florian, 117 Coupe, Minx, Aska technical discussion.
User avatar
Madcat
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:37 am
Location: Denham Springs, Louisiana, USA

My 89 'Pulse Turbo

Post by Madcat » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:38 am

Won it off of Ebay for $415. It has sat under the Previous owners carport for 2 1/2 years. Supposedly has a blown head gasket, but the oil and water aren't mixing. Previous owner said the idle would surge, so I'm thinking its an air bubble in the coolant. 1st thing to do is clean the blasted thing :rolleyes: .

1st real prodject on it is to replace the fuel pump (Walbro 255 anyone) and clean the RC engineering injectors, to try to get it running.

Supposedly has a fidanza flywheel, haven't found the receipt in the folder of previous repairs and upgrades yet.

Here she is in my carport:

Image

Image


Jim
I have opposable thumbs I WILL prevail

88 Trooper, soon to be turbo. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941780


89 Impulse Turbo. 3.5L 6VE-1 swap in progress. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941760

User avatar
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1636
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:39 pm
Location: Hibiscus Coast NZ

Post by wedgenut » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:40 pm

Idle surge is factory fitted as standard LOL try cleaning the throttle body and ensure all vac hoses are secure with no sneaky little cracks where they fit on. Nice to see proper headlights, shame the steering is on the wrong side but never mind. Good on ya :finga:
So many cars, so little cash

User avatar
Rodeobob
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1383
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:36 am
Location: Sunshine Nth Melbourne

Post by Rodeobob » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:39 pm

Good find.


If the idle is low theres a cold air bypass valve fitted under the manifold they can give trouble.



By blown headgasket it could have blown out between two cylinders or something similar with the fire rings. Not nessacarialy a oil-water issue.



Is that a factory roof???? I want I want I want.


Bit of a wash and a polish and it will come up trumps. Well except for the drivers door being a different color.


Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.

User avatar
Madcat
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:37 am
Location: Denham Springs, Louisiana, USA

Post by Madcat » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:04 pm

Once I get the factroy repair manual from the previous owner or Ebay I'm giving everthing in the top end a once over, new vacuum lines and all.

I've washed it 3 times already, gonna wash it again tuesday when I'm off and wax it then.


Sorry Bob I need that roof :finga: , the only rust I've found is in the back drain hole for it but atleast its surface rust.


And that blue door is for the lucky bastard (passenger) that gets to ride with me once I get it running.




Jim
I have opposable thumbs I WILL prevail

88 Trooper, soon to be turbo. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941780


89 Impulse Turbo. 3.5L 6VE-1 swap in progress. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941760

User avatar
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1636
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:39 pm
Location: Hibiscus Coast NZ

Post by wedgenut » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:52 pm

Don't worry about the blue door, after all it is a RED Piazza and all RED Piazzas have one thing in common and it doesn't matter how many times you wash it or wax it, it will still be several shades of red from panel to panel as the bloody pigment they used fades like a bastard and unevenly, you need to park them in a different position relative to the sun every day to try and get some even deterioration. That will be my excuse when you find me upside down in a ditch, or, Honest officer a dog ran out in front of me, an old lady was crossing the road and threw her zimmer frame at me, I was distracted by a naked femaile motorcyclist, take your pick although the truth will probably be more like I was stupid and took my car for a drive on wet roads and forgot to pack two fat tarts in the back seat for grip.
So many cars, so little cash

User avatar
Bugle
A total post whore
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:41 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by Bugle » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:06 pm

Rodeobob wrote: Is that a factory roof???? I want I want I want.
You want an extra rust trap?

Car looks alright, bit better than that other Impulse I saw on Ebay recently with the entire drivers side shock tower rusted off

User avatar
Rodeobob
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1383
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:36 am
Location: Sunshine Nth Melbourne

Post by Rodeobob » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:02 am

wedgenut wrote:Don't worry about the blue door, after all it is a RED Piazza and all RED Piazzas have one thing in common and it doesn't matter how many times you wash it or wax it, it will still be several shades of red from panel to panel as the bloody pigment they used fades like a bastard and unevenly, you need to park them in a different position relative to the sun every day to try and get some even deterioration. That will be my excuse when you find me upside down in a ditch, or, Honest officer a dog ran out in front of me, an old lady was crossing the road and threw her zimmer frame at me, I was distracted by a naked femaile motorcyclist, take your pick although the truth will probably be more like I was stupid and took my car for a drive on wet roads and forgot to pack two fat tarts in the back seat for grip.
Yo Dude, can i get some of what your on?????
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.

User avatar
Rodeobob
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1383
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:36 am
Location: Sunshine Nth Melbourne

Post by Rodeobob » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:04 am

Bugle wrote:
Rodeobob wrote: Is that a factory roof???? I want I want I want.
You want an extra rust trap?

Car looks alright, bit better than that other Impulse I saw on Ebay recently with the entire drivers side shock tower rusted off
Yeah i dont mind a bit of a sunroof.

Mind you not a fold/lift up crap old one. I mean a full electric two way roof.

I had one in my old car and it was handy.



Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.

User avatar
Madcat
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:37 am
Location: Denham Springs, Louisiana, USA

Post by Madcat » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:49 am

AWWWcome on Bob you don't want some of this crazy wack-a-due shit? :rolleyes:

Image



Confirmed flywheel via receipt. Confirmed injectors to be flow rated at 270CCs. Checked everything in the folder out and almost the entire engine is new (sans long block) and the PO spent $3147.16 on maintenance at one shop alone, not including the estimate of $771.39. So shop confirmed blown head gasket/head. Gotta get a head gasket set and a new timing belt for safety sake.



While I'm tooling around on this and getting the fuel sysem back up to par anyone know what model # Walbro pump I need for this????

Jim
I have opposable thumbs I WILL prevail

88 Trooper, soon to be turbo. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941780


89 Impulse Turbo. 3.5L 6VE-1 swap in progress. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941760

User avatar
Madcat
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:37 am
Location: Denham Springs, Louisiana, USA

Post by Madcat » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:52 am

Bugle wrote:Car looks alright, bit better than that other Impulse I saw on Ebay recently with the entire drivers side shock tower rusted off

Thanks

Yeah, I seen that one too, $800 USD for a parts car........ I don't think so. $200 MAX and thats pushing it.

I just seen this and couldn't stop laughing:
wedgenut wrote:Don't worry about the blue door, after all it is a RED Piazza and all RED Piazzas have one thing in common and it doesn't matter how many times you wash it or wax it, it will still be several shades of red from panel to panel as the bloody pigment they used fades like a bastard and unevenly, you need to park them in a different position relative to the sun every day to try and get some even deterioration. That will be my excuse when you find me upside down in a ditch, or, Honest officer a dog ran out in front of me, an old lady was crossing the road and threw her zimmer frame at me, I was distracted by a naked femaile motorcyclist, take your pick although the truth will probably be more like I was stupid and took my car for a drive on wet roads and forgot to pack two fat tarts in the back seat for grip.

:laughing6:


Jim
I have opposable thumbs I WILL prevail

88 Trooper, soon to be turbo. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941780


89 Impulse Turbo. 3.5L 6VE-1 swap in progress. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941760

User avatar
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1636
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:39 pm
Location: Hibiscus Coast NZ

Post by wedgenut » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:33 am

Tell you what! If you ever fancy making your rear garnish say P I A Z Z A instead of IMPULSE I would be up for a swap

Image
So many cars, so little cash

User avatar
Madcat
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:37 am
Location: Denham Springs, Louisiana, USA

Post by Madcat » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:43 pm

Thats actually kinda cool....but alas no garnish plate


Image

I think Isuzu scrapped that after ~86.


Jim
I have opposable thumbs I WILL prevail

88 Trooper, soon to be turbo. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941780


89 Impulse Turbo. 3.5L 6VE-1 swap in progress. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941760

User avatar
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1636
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:39 pm
Location: Hibiscus Coast NZ

Post by wedgenut » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:24 pm

Of course they did, it was also not used on the earlier Nero Irmscher models, I have a 1985 that has the plain back and I cut up an "86 that was the same but two other '86 models I have do have the garnish. I wasn't paying attention DUH! 89 model has no eyelids cos it has the skinny little lights , hump in the bonnet and later grille, three leg spoiler, colour keyed bumpers and mirrors, does yours have the bigger engine as well? The rear side windows are a very slightly different shape and it will probably have the later tail lights. I can't think what else they had that was different, higher range analogue speedo perhaps. Revhead has one of those bonnets and some lights but he guards them like a rabid dog. The doors will be the same but you probably have the big speaker boxes and inertia reel seat belts in the back. Too flash for me when I am pissing about with 83-86 models.

However if you are rummaging around looking for spares at at any stage and come across an IMPULSE garnish grab it for me if you can.
So many cars, so little cash

User avatar
Madcat
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:37 am
Location: Denham Springs, Louisiana, USA

Post by Madcat » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:59 pm

wedgenut wrote:Of course they did, it was also not used on the earlier Nero Irmscher models, I have a 1985 that has the plain back and I cut up an "86 that was the same but two other '86 models I have do have the garnish. I wasn't paying attention DUH! 89 model has no eyelids cos it has the skinny little lights , hump in the bonnet and later grille, three leg spoiler, colour keyed bumpers and mirrors, does yours have the bigger engine as well? The rear side windows are a very slightly different shape and it will probably have the later tail lights. I can't think what else they had that was different, higher range analogue speedo perhaps. Revhead has one of those bonnets and some lights but he guards them like a rabid dog. The doors will be the same but you probably have the big speaker boxes and inertia reel seat belts in the back. Too flash for me when I am pissing about with 83-86 models.

However if you are rummaging around looking for spares at at any stage and come across an IMPULSE garnish grab it for me if you can.

Bigger engine???? only options were the 2.3 or the 2.0 Turbo. after looking at some pics of the cars in the for sale section the tail lights are different. Speedo goes to 140MPH, don't know what that translates into for KMH. The drivers door has a bigger hole in the inner panel for the speaker than the passenger side.


Will keep my eyes pealed for a garnish plate.



Jim
I have opposable thumbs I WILL prevail

88 Trooper, soon to be turbo. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941780


89 Impulse Turbo. 3.5L 6VE-1 swap in progress. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941760

User avatar
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1636
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:39 pm
Location: Hibiscus Coast NZ

Post by wedgenut » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:18 am

The 2.3 IS the bigger engine, us poor antipodeans didn't get that option. Oz got the Holden Piazza which is the 4ZC1. Don't think they got the 2.3 option, NZ only got the G200 non turbo. All turbo cars in NZ are used imports and the 2.3 would be a very rare animal indeed.

The hump in your bonnet probably means you have the 2.3 and those that aspire to fitting the 2.6 are faced with the same requirement for more free space under the HOOD as you would call it. Mostly we have analogue speedos in NZ. The digi ones were quite common on the OZ cars. Analoge KM ones are normally only graduated to 180km but the rarer late model ones are 240km. 62mph = 100km/h so your 140 mph = 225km/h which is a sort of in betweeny.

The difference in the doors means the blue one came from an earlier model
So many cars, so little cash

Post Reply