Gearbox Bellhousings

Pizzatime
Learner
Learner

Gearbox Bellhousings

Post by Pizzatime »

Have asked this question on a few groups but haven't been able to get a sure fire answer so here goes.

I've got a g200z piazza 5 speed (MSG box I presume) Have collected everything for a g200w swap from a parts car but it was auto and know that I need to change the bellhousing on my current manual box to fit the Twincam.

Aside from a genuine Twincam piazza box what else can I look for to swap the front half/bellhousing protion onto my single cam box.

From what I have seen all msg boxes are "the same" except for which side the starter motor is on. Mine is currently drivers side and need it on the passenger side.

C190 and c223 diesels are the same as g200w? May require the diesel starter motor?
Also seen conflicting answers around 4zd1 and 4ze1 having the starter on the passenger side.

I understand there's differences between late and early, bearing types etc but will be trying to keep everything from my box, minus bellhousing ofcourse

Any info is much appreciated. Is the only thing stopping me from making the Twincam swap at the moment
Ghost

Re: Gearbox Bellhousings

Post by Ghost »

Did you have any luck?
I have no idea, seems everyone has run away to Facebook groups now :axe:
1986 Piazza - 1984 Piazza
1986 Heron MJ1
www.mvpc.co.nz www.ihwedding.co.nz
Pizzatime
Learner
Learner

Re: Gearbox Bellhousings

Post by Pizzatime »

After trawling through forum after forum i found the answer i needed on OzGemini

"GEARBOXES

One of the most common "myths" about DOHC engines is that gearboxes are hard to come by. The starter motor on the DOHC is placed on the exhaust side of the engine whereas on the SOHC it is under the inlet manifold. As a result, the bellhousing is different, making a DOHC box a MUST...

..BUT, where do you find one? You dont have to. A C-series Isuzu Diesel bellhousing/front case can be unbolted from the rest of the diesel gearbox, and bolted straight onto ANY SOHC G series box, 4Z box etc. Its that easy. Output spline and tail shaft would be dependant on what gearbox you use, however if you use your old SOHC box then use that tail shaft.

The starter motor off a SOHC can also be utilized."