auto to manual conversion

twocan

auto to manual conversion

Post by twocan »

i am reasonably new to this game and have a piazza as a project. it is an auto and i was wondering if there is any differences in firewalls or if the pedal box mounts are in the auto shell. i have a manual box already and was just wondering if it is worth the work for conversion. any help would be appreciated.
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

I had a look at this a while back when i was looking for a Piazza. I ended up finding a Manual one but anyway here goes...

http://mcs.une.edu.au/~ashley/gemini/fo ... .php?t=792

Speak to Rodeobob about it, hes the guru when it comes to isuzu drivelines. As far as i know the only difference where you MAY have to cut sheetmetal is where the shifter is.

Hope that helps.

nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

That thread can tell you what i know and what i think i know. lol.

I havent actually done it to know whats actually involved. I am planning on doing it and from looking at it you will need some bits from a manual car. Ive got dibs on what matts got for one conversion. Get in touch with him he may have another pedal box etc.

The remote shifter will be the only real issue to get. A TF rodeo one is too short. I was going to work on using a column shift selector lid (ive got a few here) and linkages to make a short throw shifter. Sort of similar to an old school holden shifter but stronger.

Where are you???

Cheers Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Matt
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Matt »

Guy up here has done auto to manual with the rodeo box and has some sort of remote shifter on it.

If I can I will get some pics and some info on it and put up here for you.

Matt

Post by Guest »

thanks lads, yeah i have a remote shifter on my manual box but i think it has been cut up to fit to a gemini as that was where it was going to go origonally. im in brisbane but the car is in bundy putting a damper on the situation so yes i will have to buy some bits but i am not in a hurry.

cheers lucan
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

Greatings lucan, good to see another piazza enthusiast from brissi..

Matt will be very happy about this.. :hello1:

If you need a workshop manual, you can visit the apc website.
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo
Matt
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Matt »

Twice happy. Live in brissy now with a piazza and grew up in bundy. Didnt even see one up there in the 15 years i lived there.

Matt
twocan

Post by twocan »

so i geuss i need to hunt down a pedal box a master cylinder a slave cylinder some connecting tubes and either find manual tailshaft or extend mine with a spacer or something of the like. i already have a clutch and flywheel and i geuss i can just extend my remote shifter to the desired length (it will be messy but will work i geuss). does this sound right have i missed anything.

im good for a piazza manual and have only seen 2 piazza's in bundy one spat a valve and went to melbourne and the other i bought.

cheers

lucan
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Might have to get a new front tailshaft made up.. Cost a bit though..

Hey Bob do you have the ratios for the shuttle box? Theres one at my local wreckers with box still in it..

Got a small output shaft box with same ratios as the original box in my car now. Wonder if I could put the gear set into shuttle box with the fat output shaft..
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Bugle i will post up the ratios in another post.

lucan,
From the piazza you will need the pedal box and pedal and possibly the push rod.

If its not a perfect match it will be close so you could use a TF Rodeo master cyl. You could also use a pushrod from one but it might have to be modified for length. You can buy a new master cyl for a TF at most autopart stores. You could use the master cyl off a shuttle too but they use a remote resivouir, its shared with the brakes. There is a possibility that if you got a Shuttle on that you could put a TF bottle/reservior on top. They could be the same.

For the slave cyl you could use one off a Shuttle bus or one off a TF Rodeo, they are both hydraulic and mount up the same. Again you could buy one new but you will still need the push rod.

For the hose you would have to get a TF Rodeo one, the shuttle one is about 5 foot long. Id say a TF hose would be listed in the PBR book, or get one custom made. (see below)

The bit im not sure on is the throw out fork (and piviot ball). I would assume that its the same as the Shuttle and TF Rodeo one. A quick look at if they all use the same bearing would tell you. The reason im not sure is that the Piazza has a different clutch and flywheel. So its possible that the fork and bearing are a little different too. I doubt it, but it will need to be checked out. If you werent using the Piazza flywheel and you were using a Shuttle/KB 2.3L 8.5" all would be good.

The other thing is you said you had the flywheel and clutch, do you have the starter??? Apparently they are a piazza only item. The Piazza has a different tooth count on the flywheel alledgedly.

I was at the wreckers the other day getting a wiring loom out of a TF Rodeo. I had been ringing around the Melb wreckers and had not much luck. I did find one wrecker that said he could make one up out of a few cars for $350. I found a wrecker in Bendigo, so off to the bush i went, pulled it out myself for $110, i got the whole thing too. Got front stubs with brakes off a very burnt ute for $125 while i was there. Got a few other bits too. Found a busted computer to use the female plug out of for a loom to (insert aftermarket ECM here) adapter.
Mention TF Rodeo to wreckers and there eyes roll over and show dollar signs. I am guessing the reason i had so much trouble is that a lot of rodeos that get wrecked have gone up in smoke. Dual fuel conversions on em like to catch fire for some reason. That in mind and the high KMs that most utes have at the wreckers id be very wary of using any rubber componants that you get. Utes are popular so im sure a lot of ones that would get wrecked if they were cars get repaired.
Basically what im sayin to cut it short is go the shuttle bits if you can. "Oh you dont have a shuttle one, well a TF one would do, have you got one of them?"

Cheers. Bob

Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Bugle wrote: Theres one at my local wreckers with box still in it..
2L or 1.8L????

The 1.8L is the same as a late gemini fine spline and the G-series Rodeo.
It was as weak as piss, a bad warranty issue for holden apparently. Ive heard a few stories. They also had a short overdrive ratio apparently, i should check the book.

The 2L is the one thats the Piazza, 2.3L rodeo match for the output.

Is it a Diesel??? Never seen one with a 4FB1 diesel in it. Id say the same box as the 2L.

If theres no motor.
The early bus had Squareish healight surrounds. The later 2L had the headlight bit sweep down from the healight into the grille. The dash is different too but i cant recall how off the top of my head. The wheels are different too. Heres a late model 2L.

The othe way to tell is the early one had swaged uni joints.

Cheers. Bob

Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Yeah definitely a 4ZC1, someones removed the head so it's easy to see the 4ZC1 casting on the side of the block. Alternator appears to be the same as the Piazza so i'm going to grab that since my original has been replaced with some stupid chunky one with dodgy wiring to the original loom and barely clears the turbo..
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Definately grab the box too then.

Score the tailshaft (for a nice groove free yolk) and the clutch slave and fork and stuff.

Flywheel might be handy for you at a later date too.

Hell grab the block as well so you can fit it with some forgies and go nuts.

lol. I bet the head went on a 2.3L.

lol. everything barely clears the turbo on a piazza. Damn theres some shit crammed in there. The skin has just grown back on my knuckles from fitting mine.

Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

hehe can't afford to grab it, wouldn't be much fun removing it either!
Went back today and got the alternator from it. It's much smaller than the one i've got in the car now, might be able to fit an RB25 turbo now.
Someones taken the diff, tailshaft is sitting there still. Strange it has rebuildable, regreasable uni joints where the Piazza ones aren't.
Starters still there, as well as the gearbox and all that.
Its a column shift 5 speed! Never seen one of those before.
twocan

Post by twocan »

hey

So im after shuttle and rodeo parts if i cant find piazza bits (probably the most likley case). I ve got the throwout fork as well as starter. I think i will head out searching for bits at wreckers soon. if worst comes to worst ill just use the auto. thanks for the advice everyone

cheers

lucan