radiator

Rick82

radiator

Post by Rick82 »

Just a question? my overflow bottle dosent have a overflow tube out of the lid like my other car did, instead it has a tiny pin hole that when the car gets hot it starts to spit and make bubles and it is making a mess when it dries in my engine bay. is the car supposed to have a tube out of the overflow lid??
piazza-crx
APC Member
APC Member

Post by piazza-crx »

no. only at the bootom of the overflow bottle.
If Gemini's were ever meant to go fast, they would have come out of the factory with 4zc1t engines!!

Business CD Solutions
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Yeah i hear ya, i think all four of my Piazzas have big orange belches around the bottle. One of which has an orange pod filter. lol. Bet it used to look fooly sic before the first belch. lol.

The other Isuzus have the tube in the lid, you could either put one of those lids on and run a hose out so it can spit all it likes onto the ground, or you could put in the whole bottle and feed the hose in at the top. If your using the hose out of the bottle cap for a vent, cut it off short right up near the lid or else you could be setting up a syphon, the water could run out of the bottle as quick as it feeds in.

I think the reason it feeds in the bottom is that the raditor is so low in the front of the car. In all the others its up pretty high.

Personally id grab a shuttle lid, the bottle is mounted in the hole for the battery behind the passengers seat, its got a nice long length of hose you can use.

One thing worth checking is your radiator cap, make sure it seals properly and holds up to its specified pressure. Any radiator joint worth its salt will have a sest jig for your cap.

Cheers. Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

There's something wrong if it overflows the overflow bottle
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Technically you should very rarely if ever have to add water to a car with a system like the Piazza. (evaporation excepted) If the bottle is filled cold only to the low or cold mark there should be sufficient capacity in the bottle to handle any normal expansion that forces past the cap if you overpressurise and it gets sucked back when the engine cools. You would be amazed at how may people think the overflow bottle should be filled to the top! What you are getting is a symptom of one or more things:

Over filling the overflow bottle, faulty radiator cap venting at low pressure, good cap venting because of over pressure from maybe faulty thermostat or blown head gasket allowing cylinder pressure to escape into the water jacket. Take the car to a radiator man and he will put a pressure tester on the radiator and monitor it with the engine running and you will see straight away if this is happening. I have one but you would probably get a bit wet driving over to my place LOL
So many cars, so little cash
piazza-crx
APC Member
APC Member

Post by piazza-crx »

When mine boiled out of the overflow, it had a cracked Head. Get it checked.

My car is loosing coolant constantly, but thats coz the seals in the turbo are gone and is evaporating out of my exhaust... water cooled turbos....
If Gemini's were ever meant to go fast, they would have come out of the factory with 4zc1t engines!!

Business CD Solutions
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Better check other places because you can't lose water through the turbo. The water goes through the water jacket around the shaft housing. There's only oil inside the shaft housing lubricating the bearings and oil is what the shaft seals hold in.
piazza-crx
APC Member
APC Member

Post by piazza-crx »

hmmmm ok, i'll check it out.... i couldnt find a leak anywhere before.

Business CD Solutions
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

One sneaky place water escapes is from the heater control valve. Isuzu were smart enough to realise that heater control valves never seal properly and rather than wet your left foot they fitted a sneaky little drain to the body of the heater valve. It peeks out of the fire wall just below where the heater hose connects. It is only about 6mm tube and sticks out about 25mm. Not usually enough of a leak to cause problems though. Pressure test will find it wherever it is. In hard to get to places like under the inlet manifold I use a rubber hose as a stethoscope as it is often easier to hear a leak when the pressure is on than see it. Oh and a word to the wise, blow out the tube first to get rid of the insect that lives in there as it gives you a hell of a fright when it crawls into your ear and bites you, plus the ones you got over there have a nastier bite than ours. :finga:
So many cars, so little cash
Rick82

Post by Rick82 »

sorry for the late reply but the car has been at the pannel shop, silly me not being a mechanic have filled the over flow bottle to the top line and i think thats why it is spitting out the lid. My bad :rolleyes: