Stubborn Gearbox Removal

EVL GEM
Probationary
Probationary

Stubborn Gearbox Removal

Post by EVL GEM »

Hi guys, Im having probs removing the gearbox.. it comes apart about 10cm then the thing wont move anymore... its got quite a lot of flex in it, U+D, L+R. Its not snagged on anything.

Ive done the rubber hammer, and two blokes ripping at it. Ive done gearboxes before but this one is fu*ed to get off, any suggestions?

Cheers fellahs, Des
Baptised with Gasoline

-4ZC1 TG-
Bradlze

Post by Bradlze »

are you using a cable clutch or hydraulic?
EVL GEM
Probationary
Probationary

Post by EVL GEM »

Brad its cable. Its fully disengauged.

Shes held/stuck by the input shaft, and wont go back in either.
I was going to take the whole engine/box out as one, but now cant do that.

I presume my newish clutch is screwed by the amount of play with thing has... BUT it will not come off.
Baptised with Gasoline

-4ZC1 TG-
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Sounds like you might have a hang up on the clutch spline, I am assuming you have got the tin cover plate off the lower part of the bell housing? Of course you have.

Having said that i suppose you have actually rotated the box to 90 degrees with the starter bulge downwards? That gives all the clearance you need to pull back straight and smooth without stressing and damaging the clutch disc centre.

The only other thing I can think of is that the spigot bearing is seized onto the input shaft and it has come out the end of the crank and is stopping the shaft coming out of the clutch centre.

Tough call but you may have no option but to force it back.

I suppose you could cut a reasonable size hole in the bottom of the bell housing about 80-100mm back from the flange and use a socket and extension through the hole to undo the clutch pressure plate bolts one at a time until they are all out. That would allow the clutch to come out with the gearbox and let you solve the problem without doing too much damage.

I will be interested in finding out what the problem is so be sure to let us know.
So many cars, so little cash
EVL GEM
Probationary
Probationary

Post by EVL GEM »

Thanks for the reply wedgenut.

The cover is off yes, and ive also rotated the box enough for the oil to run in my hair (grrr)

I know sooner or later i will need to be tuff and brute force it, but Im worried about damaging the GB. Clutch not so worried, as it can be replaced, even though its newish.

Does the angle need to be dead straight or something when taking it out?

Regards, Des
Baptised with Gasoline

-4ZC1 TG-
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

You want it as straight as possible to prevent damaging the clutch centre but if you can move it up and down and sideways each side of dead straight at some point it would have been straight so should have just slipped back. It is obviously off the dowels as you are able to rotate it. I note you have a cable clutch. On those the fork pivots on the opposite side to the hole in the box so the spigot shaft actually goes through the centre of the clutch fork. It would be unusual for that to cause a problem but just make sure it is all nice and loose and hasn't come off its mounting ball and somehow got jammed on something. Other than that it HAS to be the spline seized or spigot bearing stuck on the input shaft. The latter might be the case if it won't go back in as it would have to be perfectly straight to enter. The risk of forcing it is maybe damaging the front cover on the box that retains the spigot shaft. If you are sure the fork isn't the problem and there is plenty of room around the housing so it can't possibly be catching on anything on the body work then it must be in the clutch centre/spigot area. I would hack a hole in the bell to undo the clutch bolts. It is only alloy and easily patched afterwards. Only six little bolts and the whole clutch comes with the box.
So many cars, so little cash
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

I've had to strip a piazza and also do a clutch change on one and they can be a bit of a pain can't they!

I had the same problem when trying to remove the box and i engaged the clutch by levering on the clutch fork, this caused the box to move back a further inch or so and allow me to remove the box fully :)

Both of my gearboxes were hydraulic but i can't see how much difference this is going to make.

Hope this helps.
Nurburgring - Not for girls Image
EVL GEM
Probationary
Probationary

Post by EVL GEM »

As our fellow Kiwi suggested it was the bearing stuck on the spline. I had removed the gearbox quite a while ago and tortured that bearing by towing it a bit of the way to freo and ditching it at a ship. Hopefully it wont harm anyone again in the future... unless I hit someone on that ship, or they slip over it...
Baptised with Gasoline

-4ZC1 TG-
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

I really should have checked the dates before i started posting shouldn't i!! If you were still struggling after 5 months i would have been worried! lol

Glad you got it sorted in the end.

Regs
Jacko
Nurburgring - Not for girls Image