Ok its clutch time

Matt
APC Member
APC Member

Ok its clutch time

Post by Matt »

I have that annoying throwout bearing noise you get when not in a gear and the clutch is out.

What has everyone got in the way of clutch set ups in there cars. I am gathering all bit to put in when the new motor goes in and I dont want to pull it out again later to do the clutch.

The car will be doing some drift work and some drags. But I dont want anything to heavy as I still drive this car to work and back everyday.

Suggestions?

Matt
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

:wav:

sorry just like those new smiles :pottytrain4:
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

BUt I am thinking you should change the whole gear box anyways if you go for drifting or drags.. Stage 3 and so on. I had quite a few problem with the clutch burning and not getting back into gear while i was doing some fishes and drags at the last melb meet.
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

Matt
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Matt »

Yeah was looking at getting a spare gearbox. Looking at the shuttle or rodeo boxes as being close in ratios to the piazza. Got 2 spare diff centres and 4 spare axles and a couple of sets of 15x7 rims. :rolleyes:

Fronts all bushed up in new urethane and rear is next. Will be tight and the new donk & turbo set up should have enough squirt. Just need to get the clutch sorted.

Matt
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

Well if I had the money I would change most bits from a rodeo over. Why dont you just put the whole Rodeo donk + Gearbox in.. It would be alot tuffer and awsome power gain if you get the turbo on aswell :supz:
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

Matt
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Matt »

I had a 2.6 and a 2.3 that I was looking at putting in but have got a new 2lt built already sitting on the engine stand waiting for the turbo and for me to make the inlet and an exhurst manifold.

Slight oversize bore, 'O' ringed head, copper head gasket, all balanced and what not, heads been ported so I have to run the 2.6 inlet manifold, bigger valves, crow cam.

Theres more but I cant remember anymore at the moment. But it should honk when it in the car. Trying to lighten the car up at the moment. Too fat.

Matt
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Matt, i woudnt be at all surprised if that noise is actually in the box itself. The later series MSG gearbox with the larger output shaft (2L shuttle, 2.3L Rodeo and Piazza) had issue with the hardening on the input cluster.

The noise first shows up in neutral with the motor running, later when it gets worse its constant with the engine revs when your driving. It stops when you push the clutch in because the gearbox stops spinning, if it was the throwout bearing it would be heard when you push the clutch in.

Ive got a noisy box in the shed that i pulled out of my rodeo that suffered this fate. It suffered for a long time too. I just made sure it had heaps of oil in it, pulled the gearstik off (easy in a KB rodeo) and filled it from the top to the top. It lasted for ages, if i hadnt pinched the seal when refitting the tail shaft and ran it nearly dry of oil it would have lasted a lot longer.

I wouldnt use a shuttle box as a replacement in a Piazza. I put one in my rodeo and first and second gears are way too low to be happy in a piazza. Good for towing the loaded tandem with the ute but. Not so good empty, but it works i suppose and thats the main thing.

If your on the look out, a 2.3L Rodeo box would be good its definately got better ratios than the shuttle. Id say the best would be a 500kg rated rodeo its probably got more car like ratios. Mines the up spec LS spacecab and its rated at 500kg but id say its done a lot of towing in its life. The one ton utes would possibly have the lower gearset.

My personal preferance would be a Post 92 MUA TF Rodeo box. They switched the ratios and made them an even spread after then. Before that they were similar to the 2L shuttle with the big step between 2nd and 3rd. They are a heaps stronger box and will bolt straight into a piazza.

MUA until 91
1st 3.767
2nd 2.314
3rd 1.404
4th 1.000
5th 0.809

MUA from 92
1st 3.767
2nd 2.248
3rd 1.404
4th 1.000
5th 0.809

I dunno where you are Matt but theres a 98 model box on ebay at the moment up in QLD i think it was. Its on $100 and thats cheap the wreckers want over $500 for one.

Cheers, bob
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.