Identifying diff - LSD or not?

wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Sorry to disappoint you but that does NOT look like an LSD. The LSD has a different looking central carrier. There should be a stack of friction discs behind both side gears and I can see no evidence of them in these pictures.
So many cars, so little cash
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Thats an open diff.

Why not ask on the Gemini forum?? It obviously for a Gemini.
You are looking for a rocking horse shit. Good luck with the search.

The question your really need to ask your self is weather or not that diff your are looking for is the one you want to find. Fitting it in the car and then blowing it to bits is a great idea.

The brakes on that diff wont be easy to get bits for either. Best to convert to The Piazza Turbo brakes.

Check back later, i have an LSD Piazza diff center in the shed waiting to be packed up for storage, i will takes some pictures of it.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Meinen Gott! Such assumptions....
AIR, Archy has a Piazza (& Bellett, or GT Bellett, & DOHC engines etc).
But maybe he is butchering a Piazza for a Gem - and hence preserving some Piazza parts at least.

Thanks for confirming it isn't an LSD. (My glass is now long empty.)

But interesting that NZ LSDs have clutches on both sides (as IMO it should). Not that I have seen or confirmed, but I was under the impression that the Aussie LSDs were one side only. (That may have been from sparts & workshop manual diagrams - hence only "sample" representations.)
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

that the Aussie LSDs were one side only.
Methinks your ocker diffs will be no different to tt diffs. friction discs on both sides i am sure. It wouldn't work otherwise
So many cars, so little cash
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

It will work, but as I said, me too thinks it's "not good", and me thinks why would the aussie "Isuzu" LSD be any different to any other Isuzu LSD?

Then again, if GMH went from ITEC dizzy to mechanical.... Maybe GMH were too used to their old Torana "wedge" LSDs and couldn't handle double clutching? (Is "cone" a better term than "wedge". No offense Conie, O mean, Wedgie.)
And yes, I take full credit for double-clutching. (If you're not in sync, forget it.)
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Piazza LSD

Jackaroo (rodeo)

They are different hats.
I have a Piazza LSD hat here that i stripped out of a diff with chewed gears, Ive taken the ring gear off it so you can see it better, cant find it to take a picture of it.
Watch this space.

Bob.[/url]

IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Yep - top pic clearly shows the plates. (Easy to see eh?)

I hadn't thought about the shaft (spider).

Good hardening on the Jack's spiders. (Or is it just surface rust that will grind off with use? (Not my quote!))
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

IZU069 wrote:Good hardening on the Jack's spiders. (Or is it just surface rust that will grind off with use? (Not my quote!))
Thats special grinding paste to help it 'bed' in when i put it in something. :yawinkle:

I pulled it out of the diff and dropped it in a bucket. Been there for 2 years or more.
Shoulda oiled it and packed it with rags and wrapped it in plastic, shouldnt i? Thats what i will be doing with the Piazza diff.

Need to find that spare hat, but.

Bob.