Linkage pin info

turbo andy
APC Member
APC Member

Linkage pin info

Post by turbo andy »

My linkage pin fell out last night, was stuck in forth for 20k until home!
I have rigged up a bolt to replace it for now.
Do any of you guys have a gearbox lying around?
Can you pop out the pin and measure the diameter with verniers or a micrometer for me?
It's the pin on the bottom of the shifter, above the driveshaft uni joint
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

I have one out so will measure tomorrow and post dimensions, you will also need the fancy locking tab wotsit thingy which you probably didn't have in the first place or it wouldn't have dropped out. Easy peasy to make same or similar, or loctite if you can get it in there without dripping it in your eyeball. the job is easier if you support the toothbag and drop the mount out of the way.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Righto
The pin or more corectly the bolt is 8mm diameter and about 30mm long from under the head to the end. about 14mm is plain shank where it goes through the fork. make sure you haven't lost the special little nylon bushes with the steel centre spacer in the selector rod. The spacer prevents overtightening and bending of the fork. the lock tag is probably gone as well and it is a bent up "U" shape with holes in both legs for the bolt to go through and locking tabs. You could always use a bolt with a slightly longer thread and fit a Nyloc nut. If you have lost the spacer piece and bushes let me know and I can draw something up and fax it to you. easy enough to make if you have the facilities. Even a plain thin wall bronze bushing purchased from local bearing supplier and cut to length would do. Wall thickness would be half of the difference between the hole in the selector rod and 8mm. make sure it is long enough to lock the fork to the bushing without distorting the fork or pinching the rod, otherwise you would need an arm muscle like big Arnie and snap something important. Let me know if you need any more info.
turbo andy
APC Member
APC Member

Post by turbo andy »

yeah, I don't know if I still have the bushing, as it wasn't very easy to see any thing with my car jacked up on phonebooks last weekend, i know what you mean by the bushing, and if it's missing i may have to give a shout for any measurements if i can't figure out. at the moment i have a full threaded M6 bolt going thu the lot, it feels like at least 1mm of play, so a 'partially tapped' M8 could be it.
I'll grab a few different M8's some nylocs, and pull it apart again this weekend and see how i go.

If i had a garage and another car i'd drop the box and legthen the bottom lever for 'short shift' while i was at it!
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

If you get really stuck I have a spare set of bushes and spacer tube but dead eay to make. If an 8mm goes through with no slop they will still be in place.

Measuring is no problem though so yell out if you need info and I can reply almost straight away as I have a set on my bench somewhere :rolleyes:
turbo andy
APC Member
APC Member

Post by turbo andy »

Yeah M8 did the trick, no play so bushing is obviously there. I guess if i lost mine others will probably do it too, like previously mentioned use a 30mm M8 with 15mm of unthreaded section, using a Hex key cap head bolt made it real easy too, washers and a Nyloc