Quaife Isuzu Piazza RWD LSD ATB Differential

Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quaife Isuzu Piazza RWD LSD ATB Differential

Post by Piazza_man »

Been surfing the web and came across this from the UK:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120797061024 ... 1438.l2648
Does anyone know anything about this diff. Looks like a quality product and appears far superior to the existing LSD setup. Costs about $1000. In the meantime I sent them an email, and awaiting a reply.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Further update: the response I got was the following in relation to how much power can it handle:
"I'm afraid its not possible to say the maximum power rating for these due to many factors sucha as traction, torque, ratios etc.
Basically they are manufactured from billet and heat treated for maximum strength, you are more likely to break a drive shaft or the crown-wheel and pinion first."

I then asked if it fit our Ausie spec banjo 17spline version. His response was:
"I have checked and its manufactured for the standard 24 splines Im afraid."

There you go folks. Now that this is put to bed I can move on now. Maybe more suitable for the Gemini Salibury diffs, but I seem to recall their splines were 25. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here folks.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

[Deleted & re-posted for spline update - then re-corrected - it is 17, not 23).]

That is similar to a Jackaroo diff I got from Pick A Part, though I can't recall the (allen) bolts extending that far out.

It had no markings, and I still haven't pulled it down. (I was going to use it for the front of my Jackaroo.)

As to splines, a mate recently mentioned that on a certain Gemini forum (OzFem or something?), someone was adamant that the - or some - Geminis have the same splines as Crappadores (VN etc??).

Not that that helps Piazza which is Isuzu standard splinage (up until the 4ZE1 engines anyway...).
And not that I can remember how many splines - but Belletts, Wasps, Florians, Jap-Gems, Piazza and pre 4ZE1 Rods & Jacks are all the same (AFAIK).
I suppose I could go out the back and count. AGAIN!

UPDATE - It is 17 splines.
Last edited by IZU069 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Sorry, was that 23 splines for the Gem, and 17 for the Aussie spec banjo LSD diffs? Sorry mate, just wanted it clear in my mind.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Geez I stuffed up. Who tf put a Bellett diff carrier in my shed!?

It is 17 splines for the "Isuzu" banjo diffs.

I think the OzFem said OzFem: Gem = 23 = Commodore, but that was 2nd hand & verbal through an intermediary.
But it makes sense for Gemini to share the same spline as Commodore (Adelaide etc).

I know we also share some gearbox tailshaft splines with the Commodore (eg, our larger fine-spline "auto" transmission).

PS - And I think I lent my aftermarket LSD to someone...
I was going to take pictures.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

So the Salsbury Piazza LSD diffs from other parts of the world has 24 splines? Have I got that right?
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

I have no idea.

Any others know?

(AFAIAC - you mean we actually export something?)
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Sorry if I've confused you. I confuse myself sometimes. I meant to say Salisbury 'style' diffs meaning the OS Piazzas are a torque tube axle variety. I understand the Diesel Gemini diffs are also T tube Salisbury style but not necessarily the same.

Oz spec Piazzas are Banjo style which is the same as the earlier KB Rodeo type, from what I could understand, but I wouldn't know if those Rodeo axles have the same 17 splines.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Don't take credit - I confused myself!
But I was so used to non-Bellett diffs (Wasp, Florian, Jacks & Rods) littering the garage floor. I never had a naked Bellett dizzy (carrier) until some months back - except for some GTR LSD versions.

But yeah - AFAIK, our Piazzas are the same as ALL pre-4ZE1 diffs from LUVs, KBs, Rodeos, Jackaroos & Florians. IE - it is the Bellett which is the odd one out, plus of course the Geminis.

The 1985 Jackaroo LSD banjo (same as Rodeo) is the same as my 1965 Wasp and 1969 Florian.
The Wasp axles slid straight in.
And though not "permanently" fitted, I checked a Florian housing and axles and concluded that they too were the same. (Hence alleviating my concern for their rarity.)

I thought perhaps that Japanese Geminis were also the same banjo and axle, but I can't recall the result. My guru once explained what was what, and how early Piazzas had the torque-tube diff like the Geminis.
Nor can I recall what diffs the ZZT & ZZR DOHC Geminis had.

Though I have Holden Piazza sparts books (from fische), they only have part numbers but no spline count or dimensioning info.

Nor is there any info I can find in the PiazzaManual.pdf (except for the pic with the 10-spline front shaft).
Same for any other Isuzu or Chiltons manuals I have.

FYI - probably known but important:

The commercials (Wasp, Kuv, KB, Jackaroo, Rodeo) have a 4.55 ratio diff.
Passenger vehicles are usually 3.9 (Piazza, most Gemini) and Florian 4.1 (usually).

Belletts & Florians have the same crown & pinion - 8 bolt ring-gears - though the ratios differ.
Wasps also have 8-bolt ring gears.
4ZE1 have 12-bolt ring-gears.
The others are 10-bolt ring-gears (Jack & Rodeo, and apparently LUV & KB).

The above is to prevent invalid statements or conclusions. VIZ: Because Florian & Bellett diff gears are interchangeable and Florian banjos are interchangeable with other Jap Isuzus (and Piazza 3.9 gears are interchangeable with commercial 4.55 etc), ERGO the common Isuzu diffs bolt into a Bellett. QED (not!)
(That was the conclusion of a certain Bellett.net member. But that same member ascerted that to reprogram the all-electronic DOHC Piazza ITEC ignition for the Australian 4ZC1-t would have meant expensive remapping - hence why we reverted to the mechanical 4ZC1-t distributor!!! [Yep, I seem to strike DHs!])
Piazzish

Post by Piazzish »

Horsepowerfreaks(dot)com used to have these, among some other performance parts for the impulse...
1989 Isuzu Piazza JR120 Lotus Turbo Red 92000km
1989 Isuzu Piazza JR120 Lotus Turbo White 183000km
1987 Isuzu Piazza JR120 Pre-Lotus Turbo Red 131000km
1984 Isuzu Piazza JR130 N/A Two-tone 145000km
1984 Isuzu Piazza JR130 N/A Black 92000km
1989 Isuzu Gemini JT190 Red 173000km