Horsepower clarification

wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Horsepower clarification

Post by wedgenut »

On a recent forum topic there was some discussion about different standards such as Din. JIS etc. This may help clear up any confusion drawn from the depths of my dog eared old brain under the heading of things I learned at trade school I was supposed to remember for a rainy day. It must be raining today!

Clarification of HP, BHP, DIN, PS, kW and JIS

We all know it started with a bloke called Watt and his tests on the work horses could do and his averaging of effort which made him pronounce that 1HP is equal to 33,000 ft/lbs/min which wasn't an actual measurement, it included a generous margin for error as he thought his ponies may have been a litlle tired at the time or some such poppycock but it doesn't matter as everyone accepted it and it has been used as a baseline ever since.

All of the above are the same thing, they are a measure of work done or in the case of cars power at the wheel.

DIN, PS and JIS are all the same measure, PS is german (Pferdest?rke) Chris should know that! JIS is another metric designation used often in Japanese literature, particularly in engineering standards.

For the sake of the exercise 100HP or BHP is equal to 74.57kW and 101.42 PS/DIN/JIS
That should clear things up a bit maybe. Apart from kW then all the rest are pretty much the same and it would take a pretty accurate dyno to get a maximum power reading any more accurate than within 1 HP anyway. I am more interested in Torque which is the real measure of what happens at the traffic lights. :finga:
So many cars, so little cash