rodeo and gemini gearboxes

mcmuthafart

rodeo and gemini gearboxes

Post by mcmuthafart »

do rodeo or gemini gearboxes fit in piazzas with out having to mod anything like mounts or tailshaft?
help me
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

Well they do bolt onto the engine but the boxes are by a few cm smaller so you will need to extend the shaft..

But than Again, I stick with what a mechanic told me once when he had a look at my Silver piazza and he had written on it Gemini GBOX (Wreckers) writing.

Sure bob can tell you more.
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

The boxes are all the same size except for the larger MUA Rodeo one. Just the output shaft differs in diameter and spline count. You need to tailshaft remade if you have a box with a different spline as you can't just swap the end of the shaft. Also not all drive gear bearing retainers have the hole for the hydraulic pivot fork ball. I have a 10 spline 117 coupe box in mine at the moment I had to swap the drive gear bearing retainer off my original box because the 10 spline one didn't have the hydraulic fork bit.
mcmuthafart

Post by mcmuthafart »

thanks for the info guys heaps of help thanks
help me
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

You could try looking.
http://ozisu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3797#3797

I added a bit more info ive found out since i made the post.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Chris wrote:Well they do bolt onto the engine but the boxes are by a few cm smaller so you will need to extend the shaft...
Half right, the manual is shorter than the Auto by a few cms.
Chris wrote:But than Again, I stick with what a mechanic told me once when he had a look at my Silver piazza and he had written on it Gemini GBOX (Wreckers) writing.
Yeah that means GEARBOX, wreckers arent to smart it was written on there so they dont get confused about what part of the car they are trying sell you at a rip off price.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Leon
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Leon »

So will the Rodeo Auto bolt straight on and is the same length??? My Piazza Auto shit itself and in need of replacement but are hard to find.... Know any one selling one around Melbourne or details of what I need to do to put the rodeo auto in...? Auto makes and model numbers would be helpful... :partyman: PLS HLP ... LEON
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Piazza autos difficult to find??
Thought since 90% of front cuts imported would've been auto and noone puts that into a Gemini there'd be heaps of autos lying around the place..
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

My Piazza Auto shit itself and in need of replacement but are hard to find..
Not hard to find at my place, I got two of the suckers under my house and a bloke in nelson (top of the south island) would be happy to give his ex nero auto box for 50 bux but would probably cost a couple of big uns to get it across the ditch.
They are Aisen Warner boxes, same basic box used in Toyotas and some Volvos as far as internals go but tail shaft and bell shape would differ. Early models were four speed normal where the later ones were lock up TC, probably all the OZ ones were this type as you got them quite late in the piece. There are two drive shaft spline sizes as far as the sleeve where it enters the tailshaft and two lengths so best you get some measurements before committing to paying for something that could end up being a problem.

Model codes were AW03-70, and Aw03-72L (lock up) The toyota designation I think is aw42L but don't quote me
So many cars, so little cash
Leon
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Leon »

Yeah I think its the aw03-72L But don't know for sure till i pull it out... Anyone in melbourne got one laying around aswell.... Must be many just sitting under your houses...??? what the... Will pay cash for one...
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Arh idiot, i had one lieing around that i threw out. Hindsight is a great thing.

Try Rodeobob.
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
twocan

Post by twocan »

i think i have one sitting at the olds place but thats in bundaberg so freight would be a bitch.

lucan
Leon
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Leon »

Yeah everyone changing them to manuals huh... Must be some one with a useful auto for my piazza that is local... Hate to think what the shops would charge to rebuild it... $$$$. Here is my email address: sremin@bigpond.net.au
Check my email more often than the forum... For those who have one to sell....... :partyman: :prayer:
Thought about convert to manual but looks very involved.... Nothing is ever easy..... :vom:
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Nothing is easy but beleive me the swap to manual on these cars is well worth it...

Hardest part is getting the pedal box in [yes ive done that before, lots of swearing cuts grazes and more swearing...and beer]. Id use a Gemini box....

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Maybe the guy that bought the black 5 speed could sell you the pedals, master/slave cyls, brake booster, clutch fork, shifter and limited slip diff since it's not much use for a Gemini.. Then you'd just have to source a flywheel & clutch combo off another 4Z engine and any 5 speed box

This one, http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/non-tech ... hp?t=17596
New owner
http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/non-tech ... hp?t=19237