Timing marks

cyberjo
Probationary
Probationary

Timing marks

Post by cyberjo »

Here my problem the car I have got which I got with a rebuild motor but it has no get up and go it is lazy in boost. and not running to good I very much think that the timing is out BUT HERE IS MY PROBLEM some one has removed the front plate with the setting mark on it on the camshaft pulley what I need to know is there and other way to set timing or can someone give me the degrees from flat across tappet cover to setting mark is it 90' hope I have explain that well ? cheers wayne
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

You mean theyve removed the cover infront of the cam like below?

Behind that there is a metal plate thats bolted to the head. If thats missing your introuble, if its there then its easy as. BEFORE DOING ANYTHING, turn the engine over by hand until the mark on the crank pulley lines up with 0TDC. Remove your timing belt, and turn the cam over CAREFULLY [be VERY careful, i cant stress this enough] as if you go to far either way you might bend your valves. Theres a little triangular mark underneath one of the teeth on the cam wheel. On the plate behind the cam gear theres a small notch, its in the middle of the plate. Line up the triangle with that cut out and the cam is lined up.

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
cyberjo
Probationary
Probationary

Timing marks

Post by cyberjo »

they have remove the steel backing plate have no marks
cyberjo
Probationary
Probationary

Timing marks

Post by cyberjo »

is there a way to find out where the mark should be can you say take a line strait along front of head where tappet cover and head meet and work out what the degrees are to the the timing mark should be eg is it say 90' from centre of cam pully
cyberjo
Probationary
Probationary

Timing marks

Post by cyberjo »

can you tell me how many teeth on belt it is from bottom mark to can pulley mark that may get me out of trouble
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

No idea on the teeth.

The cam wheel arrow/timing mark is verticle pointing up - ie 90deg from horizontal, when the bottom end is timed to 0TDC. If you dont have the timing cover on the crank either, go to your local library and borrow a book on the 4Z series Jackaroos. Itll explain how to time up the bottom end w/o the timing case - IIRC one of the keyways needs to line up with an oil seal notch or something or other. This is ONLY if you dont have the timing case for the bottom end, otherwise just rotate it to 0TDC.

Nick-
cyberjo
Probationary
Probationary

Timing marks

Post by cyberjo »

thanks the motor was running lazy it was one tooth out another problem is the timing mark on the pulley to set dizzy as been ground off must have had something rubbing against it so I have on mark there I have found a small mark near thr word front would that be the mark
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

There are three "guides" for belts on the front pulley - pulley is in two parts. There is the front half which is two guides, one runs to the ac pump and one is unused IIRC, the back half is a single guide and goes to the water pump and alternator. On the backside of the second pulley [one going to alt] there should be a small notch cut into it. This notch is the timing mark. If you have any doubts then go and get the book for the jackaroo as it tells you how to line it up the hard way - to do it that way youll need a 3-jaw puller to take the crank pulley off.

Id also look at re-timing the dizzy - ie remove it and put it in on its 0 mark.

Nick-
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

GeminiCoupe wrote:ie 90deg from horizontal, Nick-
Umm, that would be Vertical.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Open up the pictures in this thread and have a good look and read, all the info you need is there.
http://isuzupiazza.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=197

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
cyberjo
Probationary
Probationary

Timing marks

Post by cyberjo »

Thanks fellows thats been great looks like the motor was put together by monkeys they had the bottom cam gear around the wrong way so the belt was running haft off the cam gear the only thing that was stopping it from coming off was the the cam belt cover which was being chewed away , starting to wonder what other thing these chimps have done wrong well hope to have this thing running like it should many thanks for all your help , my shout for beers cheers Wayne :finga:
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

The cam wheel arrow/timing mark is verticle pointing up - ie 90deg from horizontal
Read that bit bob :finga: