Wiring - connecting alternator wiring to g200w loom?

CUL8R
Probationary
Probationary

Wiring - connecting alternator wiring to g200w loom?

Post by CUL8R »

just a question regarding the voltage regulator and where it supplies the ecu loom..

Basically my g200w came as a complete loom, but was missing the alternator/voltage regulator wiring - which I've now aquired a voltage regulator & for the most part alternator wiring..

I've worked out where to plug everything except the following:
from the ecu end its the same type of plug as the voltage regulators coloured black plug. Wires from that plug to ecu:
Blue, Green yellow, blue white, blue yellow, blue black, blue red.

My problem lies in the next part, the wiring from the alternator/regulator end. Im left with :
White , white blue, white red black, white black.

The white red has a fusable link on it, and continues white red.

The problem is all the whites dont go into any plug as the wrecker I sourced them from chopped it off! Also any genius will work out that I have 6 "blues" and 4 "whites". There is also another fusable link, but thats further down the alt/reg loom (this will be to the battery)

hope you can make some sense of that, Im also getting a Japanese girl on one of the nz forums to translate the wiring diagrams from the japanese workshop manual..
Oil leak? What oil leak? That puddle under the car is just sweat from all that horsepower....
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

You got me stuffed here, all the G200z piazzas, and the JR120 Turbo models have an alternator with built in regulator, the alternator only has four wires, main heavy charge wire from "B" terminal to battery and the three spade plug which has the normal L/S/IG set up. Nome of the wiring goes to the ECU! L is the charge light, IG is the power supply from ignition switch and S is the sensing wire which is connected to the battery circuit.
So many cars, so little cash
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

It'll be a 117 G200W - the old "discrete" ECU with crappy 4-pole reluctor distributor (replace with shaft-chopped Gemini dizzy with RB guts).

So the G200Z Piazzas has Nippon Denso alternators? (I'm guessing by its 3 wires, though some Hitachi do have 3 instead of the usual 2 wires (Ig & L) - I have one from a Subaru that I'm saving for "standard" Belletts & Florians.)

FYI - here's my reply to cul8r from Poida's twincam:
IZU069 - on CUL8R's twincam [i]Wiring Help[/i] wrote:You'd be much better off with an alternator with inbuilt regulator.
I use Hitachi (aka Nissan, Mitsubishi) LR-170s (70A) as found on Pulsar N13 etc.
The N13s also use Bosch which is a bit simpler to wire - namely S to the battery +12V (no fuse needed, except top protect the wire), and the L to the normal White-Red charge-Lamp circuit.
(The Hitachi use an I = Ig = IgnPwr +12V instead of "S" which is ignition +12V, and cannot be too different from the battery's +12V voltage else overcharging will occur. An IGN controlled relay to connect battery +12V to the alternator/regulator's Ig terminal may be required.)

Anyhow, your White-Red from the alternator is the charge-Lamp circuit (aka "L" else D+ on alternators with inbuilt regulators) which goes to the charge lamp (obviously) and circuits like electric fuel pump (relay), carby or other fuel-cut solenoids, maybe electric chokes (but not the carby idle-air solenoid).

White is IgPwr (IGN +12V from IgKey)

White-Black is Field = F on alternator
White-bLue is probably White-Green - Neutral = N on alternator
Black is GND/Earth = E on alternator and to chassis/body (from regulator). This black blows if you have a bad engine to chassis ground strap etc.

Not that any of the above should relay go to the ECU - except perhaps the W-R charge-Lamp circuit. Power & ground should be from the battery rather than the alternator.

And make sure your ECU relay has polarity protection - ie, a series diode to the relay's solenoid so that the relay only energises with correct +12V & ground polarities.
(Do NOT confuse this with a parallel diode ACROSS the relay solenoid/coil which - if used - is for spike protection, but isn't required.)
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.