WFR/Shuttle 4ZB1 and Piazza 4ZC1 loom wire colours.

Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Well i had to ride a donkey to school. The damn thing was that hairy you had to scratch its guts to get it to fart so you knew which way to get on. You basically had to have your head in the wind because it stunk that bad you couldnt tell it farted.

Bugle if you look at the brackets thats how they look from the top looking down, over the top of the motor IE; from the drivers side. With the alternator tipped out away from the motor. (well you couldnt tip them that far on the car and you wouldnt see it on the Piazza without heaps of stuff removed. Not highly visible on a motor with an emissions air pump either.)
The holes for the bolts in the brackets (which has to be bolted on the engine with the alternator off the bracket) are pretty close to the same distance from each other for both brackets. The holes are above the piviot bolt IE: the piviot bolt is lower than the bolts holding the bracket to the block.

One thing i did notice on the E1 block was there is a set of low and high lugs to take the alternator brackets. Why that is i dont know.

I cant see that the Piazza and Shuttle would have that much of a difference in mounts. Sure theres the turbo on the Piazza but where the plumbing is for the turbo the Shuttle has the air pump in its place. The turbo itself is no issue nor is the manifold, the manifold is not much different at the ends than the N/A ones and the turbo sits too far back to mess with the alternator.

If there is an issue it will be with clearance for the turbo plumbing, mainly the inlet tube.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

The Piazza has a huge cast mount with the upper mount also attached to it rather than the little one on the shuttle. You can just see the head of a bolt attaching it to the block to the left of the alt. Mount goes down pretty far from the mount holes and around underneath the alternator so the alternator mounting holes are near vertical. I think it places the alt lower and closer to the block than the Shuttle one..

Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Ahh yes well if that the case what nick has wont work.

Sorry to think of it now but the spacing of the pulley flange on the water pump shaft will have something to do with that as well. The alternator is probably mounted an inch further back that the other motors. Hence why the Piazza has its own water pump.

Will bolt straight on the mount for your gemini nick, so its not a total waste.

Bob.

Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Woo hoo that bottom schematic just appeared like magic.

Youve got a warranty Nick, it dont fit so you can take it back. Keep your eye out for a 2.3L Jackaroo they have been getting a few in there lately. Peter A and myself have been getting some useful spares.

Bob.

Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Or just try RB Gemini. Should be able to change the pulley over from the original. I think they just changed from the V belt to a flat belt thing. There's about 12 of them at my local wreckers at a time. I think i'll be going there next week if you want I could get one.. Or a 4ZC1 shuttle one if they've got any Shuttles there..
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Ah shit this isnt what i wanted to hear. Its not the fact i have to return it, or the fact im going to have to search for another replacement...its got more to do with the fact im going to hear it from the old man. I hate being told im wrong, and im going to hear "I told you so." Damn you bob lol

There was only one Jackaroo last time i went and that had its engine ripped out and gone. Thomas, you sure they are the same as the RB Gem? They look identical, but are they fully [pardon the wog] the same? If so my dad built one for my aunties RB a few years back, ill see if he can hunt me down some bits.

Back to the drawing board i go.

Me and the old man. :argue: :axe: :knob: :jerk:

Bah i cant be farked. I shouldve bought a Gemini, ive got 4 spare alternators.

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

lol they look identical as in they'll bolt in and plug in. I doubt they would have made the shaft any different to suit the different pulley as the Piazza was sold at the same time as RB Gems.

Another alternative is to find out whatever car has this Bosch alternator I had on mine before when it was running. It bolts straight in however it's huge and was only millimetres from touching the RB20 turbo compressor housing. The original turbo was fine with it though. I'll get the part number of it. Says made in Australia on it so I assume it's off an Aussie made car maybe falcon or commodore..
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Let me get this straight. The RB Gemini alternator is the same minus the front pulley? If so im just going to go get a rebuild kit for an RB.

Nick-
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Yeah it appears to be the same as all the other nippon denso alternators Shuttle, Piazza, Rodeo etc.. What broke on yours?
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Im not exactly sure as yet. It simply wont charge, thinking it might be a reg, hoping its not a diode set. Bearings seem fine, its not noisy or anything.

Nick-
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Maybe worn out brushes too.. There's testing procedures for the reg, diodes and brushes and full rebuild instructions in the service manual you should get one
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

If i come up your way on friday it will be to go see Dean in Whittlsea. Im pretty sure there was an alternator bolted to the E1 short motor that i gave him. I will find out before i go. If it was i will drop past on my way back home, if not i will pull the one off the 2L Shuttle on the front lawn, it wont be going anywhere for about 5 years at this rate. Either way you will owe me big time.

Yeah there was one with the motor ripped out. Cream coloured 4 door DLX. That motor is in my shed :tonqe: I think from memory it was about ten rows down and the first car in, next to a Camira. It had no alternator on it when i got to it. Peter A was telling me about another one i think it was white and it was an LS and the head off that is in his shed. Possible he got the alternator, i know he mentioned it but cant remember what he said, it could have been gone.

Bob.

GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Either way you will owe me big time.
If you name your price i wont owe you as much :partyman: :drinkers: , unless you want to swap for the B1 alternator ive got sitting here.

I remember seeing the Jackaroo without the head, and yeah that had no alternator on it either. Didnt look at it properly but yeah i think it was a 4ZD1. What the fuck were you going to do with the engine from pick a part? Dont you have enough 4ZC1 and 4ZE1's to keep you going for a lifetime?

If your lucky the car wouldve recieved the final coats when/if you swing past :yawinkle:

Nick-
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

GeminiCoupe wrote:
Either way you will owe me big time.
If you name your price i wont owe you as much :partyman: :drinkers: , unless you want to swap for the B1 alternator ive got sitting here.

I remember seeing the Jackaroo without the head, and yeah that had no alternator on it either. Didnt look at it properly but yeah i think it was a 4ZD1. What the fuck were you going to do with the engine from pick a part? Dont you have enough 4ZC1 and 4ZE1's to keep you going for a lifetime?

If your lucky the car wouldve recieved the final coats when/if you swing past :yawinkle:

Nick-
Nah another B1 alternator isnt much good to me.

The motor was cheap from Pick a part. I took the head, the block and the gearbox and got the lot for under $300.

See how i go.

Bob.