Dash all dashed out

botcolon

Dash all dashed out

Post by botcolon »

I have just been given a 86 Isuzu Piazza Turbo, and whilst doing preliminary checks over the car before starting work, the dash went on the blink.

For about a week since receiving the car, the digital dash would come on as expected. Then on the seventh day, when the ignition key was turned, the dash came on flickered on-off-on a few times, then 'kaput'. Nothing has worked since then.

I have since removed the dash and opened it up, plugged in the boards, and prodded all the components to see if they are ok. Everything is good, not burnt and all the tracks on the boards look good too.

I have heard that on ni$$an zx's, when this happens, it may have to do with the power supply which runs the dash. Do Piazza's have a such a power supply, and if so, where is it located in the car.

If it is the dash pcb's, I don't have a clue where to start. It would be nice to be able to check that the board is getting the correct power. So I will need the pin out on the dash connectors, and also the expected value.

I am looking forward to your help.

Botcolon :?:
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hope you be able to fix that dash.

Otherwise it will cost you alot for another. I have seen them go for $800 + at wreckers.

Good luck
mansom lives

Post by mansom lives »

wellcome to the party pal! mine did the same thing and now we are going autometer all round...
Chris

Post by Chris »

I have just got a piazza and the dash has done the same thing, NOTHING!! Is this a comon prob with these cars?? The autometer solution, how does this work and can you use the original dash or change everything??
leon

Post by leon »

:?: :idea: :shock: :D I Had the same problem and I also pulled apart the dash down to the circuits. Had it sitting around for ages until I got pissed on wild turkey and tried a few things with it... Hey what did I have to loose.... Anyway..... I will tell you what I found... There is a circuit board (Light tan colour about 2" square) soldered onto the main board... You will notice that they literally smothered brown nutsty coloured glue stuff all over these boards... thanks just makes my job harder (Bastards)... Anyway this glue seems to corrode anything it has touched.... Un solder this little board and chip away the glue... Then with an altimeter check the tracks for continuity..... On mine I found some tracks stuffed and a green cap with corroded legs.. Replaced and fixed and now my dash is ok.....finally!!!!!

From Leon
(my piazza is on piazzasearch.com.au in the gallery)

Am now driving piazza around but not reg'ed yet sssshhhh!!!!!!
twocan

Post by twocan »

my dash has also packed it in i think the problem is the VFT's for all instruments are burnt out as i can see black scorch marks inside (ouch) i was just wondering if anyone knows places that can repair or at least get parts for them. i figure i might as well see how much it costs in comparison to finding a replacement. any help would be appreciated.

twocan
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Anyone thought of chopping/modifying another cars analogue dash and fitting it to the Piazza? I was looking at a peugeot 306 cluster at my cousins house...i reckon it can be done.

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

One of the guys in the gallery at Piazzasearch has a full analogue dash that he did himself. Would have cost a bit.

Id like to import a few of the impules dashes, MPH dont worry me.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

What about Ford Fairlane Dashes? From the 85-86 models which have similar Satalite Pods and LCD Dashes?!
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

If my mates NA fairlane is anything to go by they arent reliable...

Seriously though, as far as i know the Fairlane dash is no good for a number of reasons. First is the tacho is setup to read 6 pulses for 6 cylinders. Second is the speedo drive is electronic and it is setup to read from the 3speed/4speed auto or whatevers fitted, along with the diff ratio which is either 2.77 or 3.01 or something. No good, too many hassles.

The AB Telstar TX5 Ghia could be a better option - electronic speed and 4cylinder. Ditto the Mazda 626/929 Coupes. Personally i think the electronic speedo is faux passe, and something about watching revs in a bar graph annoys me.

Id personally modify an analogue dash and cut/shut it to fit. Thing with most dashes is you can seperately remove the speedo, fuel gauge etc etc....

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Chris
IPTOC President
IPTOC President

Post by Chris »

Yup your right. I just had a fairlane for 2 days on the way back from cairns and noticed that the rev meter is so slow and not even close of being right. Also I heard those digi dashes have lots of problems.

But than again, seems like most digi dashes from the 80s had problems in some way and thats the reason the stoped putting them into newer cars except the ECHO but geeess that is one crap dash!!!
LESS SHOW, MORE GO!!

2009 | 1986 White Piazza 2.2L, Man, STi Turbo (SOLD)
2006 | 1986 Black Piazza Turbo Manual (SOLD)
2005 | 1986 White Piazza Turbo Auto (Pain in the ass)
2004 | 1986 White Piazza Manual Stock
2004 | 1986 Red Piazza Manual TO3, Haltech
2001 | 1986 Silver Piazza Manual Turbo
Dodgy Dave
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Dodgy Dave »

Gday!

I took mine to an auto elec, and for $110 he found 2 false earths and now there's no problem.... yay!!! :supz:
Bartamann
Probationary
Probationary

Dash woes

Post by Bartamann »

who was the auto electrician who fixed your dash for $110 ? :drinkers: I had whole dash working for 1 week after off road for 4 years, the whole dash worked except that the speedo showed zero all the time. Got another to find that around 70 - 80 kmp and 90-95 the thing goes 76 74 78 82 75 but when on 60 and 100 it sits still (strange). It's quite an effort (without the sniggering) to find a person to work on it ! Getting another dash soon, i love the car but these dashes give me the runs !
shorty

Post by shorty »

my dash does the exact same thing. sometimes it will work other times it won't and when you sit still it will sometime just go nuts with speed readouts
Dodgy Dave
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Dodgy Dave »

The guy who fixed my dash was Clem at Pace Auto Electrics in Blackburn.

Damned nice bloke. He fixed it by finding 1 false earth behind the dash, and 1 in the engine bay.