4Z distributors

Submit all your know how here. All workshop submissions must be reviewed and may be edited by a Moderator or Admin. Please speak to any of the forum staff first before submitting.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Crank angle type distributor.

If your upgrading to something better than the Piazzas crappy mechanical distributor you may need a CAS. Ive taken a line up of all the 4Z distributors.

The 4ZE1 distributor could be your answer. You could possibly run it with the cap or with out the cap as a direct fire on coilpacks. At a later date i hope to post up some more detailed pics of one.

From the top down in the first pic and from left to right in the second.
4ZB1 1.8L
4ZC1T 2L EFI
4ZC1 2L
4ZD1 2.3L
4ZE1 2.6L EFI

As you can see they are all the same with the excepton of the 1.8L distributor which goes into a smaller hole. If you look closely you will see theres no step and the O-ring seal is higher up. They all have the same shaft length and the same gear drive.

The Piazza and the 1.8L shuttle share the same coil/module arrangment.

Cheers. Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

This may not be the place to ask the question but...

Let me get this straight. The 4ZE1 is the distributor without the vac advance right? To use this you would have to use an aftermarket computer which is why its good for multiple coils - the ECU receives each individual pulse from the chopper wheel then spares the corresponding coil/cylinder combo correct?

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

GeminiCoupe wrote:This may not be the place to ask the question but...

Let me get this straight. The 4ZE1 is the distributor without the vac advance right? To use this you would have to use an aftermarket computer which is why its good for multiple coils - the ECU receives each individual pulse from the chopper wheel then spares the corresponding coil/cylinder combo correct?

Nick-
Yep your right.

More pics of the E1 dizzy soon. watch this space.

Bob.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

Reanimated from the dead....

The above isn't quite true. The 4ZE1 (and similar Piazza twincam) dizzy does NOT know which piston is about to ignite etc, it only knows the physical position of each cylinder (to within 2 crank degrees, though within 1° is possible by detecting BOTH slot edges if equally spaced).

However those 360 slot rotor discs are probably the most versatile as a true crank angle sensor can be done my merely blocking off one slot. Can use liquid-paper, (black?) silastic, etc.

Or the same can be done for the 4-slots, though that is redundant (except maybe for a limp-home mode).

A missing pulse detector is then used where the missing pulse means (say) x°ATDC for the 360 slots, or cyl #3 (<whatever degrees) for the 4 slots.
If the actual position is programmable as an offset, then it doesn't matter which slot is filled in.

Not that the standard Aussie turbo EMS can do that (its a shitty Jetronic), but the DOHC Piazza's I-TEC may be hackable, as may Delco. Other aftermarket EMS like the DIY-EFI (MegaSquirt) can handle missing pulse, but I forget which others can.
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.