Drags at Calder park in melb

Australian meets, drags, shows and cruises
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Drags at Calder park in melb

Post by Rodeobob »

I went to the drags on friday night. I had a thought. I could take my Piazza out there on the trailer and give it a run. Im looking to do it in two weeks time. I will post up for sure when im going. Feel free to come along and watch me make an arse of myself. lol.
Too many Piazzas to little money.

Currently unemployed. Watch this space.
brendan
APC Member
APC Member

Post by brendan »

good luck mate, what mods or you running, do you think you can beat my times?
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Nah i wont beat yours i dont think. Its std. Im waiting till next week, it may possibly even be the week after. Ive got to swap the alternator and do something about some tyres.

Bob.

GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

These are the times for a standard Piazza you have to beat Robbo.

Modern Motor July 86 - 16.51 @ 132km/h
Wheels July 86 - 16.3

Funnily enough both magazines used the same test car, Red turbo CTG-005 plates. Ill be throwing mine up against the Gtech once its tuned/running right. Right now its abit of an ask from it to get into the 16's, let alone the low end.

Nick-
project - 76 Gemini Coupe G200z EFI Turbo
daily - 02 S15 Nissan 200SX GTspecS Turbo
wet-weather fun toy - TX 75 Gemini Sedan G200z
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

GeminiCoupe wrote:Modern Motor July 86 - 16.51 @ 132km/h
Wheels July 86 - 16.3
lol. i didnt realy want to know.

I will just be happy if it makes it the full 400m. lol.

It is standard, right down to the new turbo. Ive never run a car down the strip so id be happy to run a low 16. I might have some competition. There was a guy there last week driving an old lazer, he was pulling 18's. lol.

I got the new tyres that i had here fitted to the rims to put on the front. 195/50/15" Pirelli P6000, fitted to the 15x7" CSA/Mullins rims i have on it in my car thread.

Not sure what to do with the rear end yet. All the stockie mags i got here have hard old bald tyres on em. Ditto with the other two 15x7" mags, one is a 205 and the other is a 215. both bald and hard as hell.

If i had a bit of time spare and a few dollars spare id go and get a set of 14x7 or 8" steelies made up. I will have a measure up and see how i go. Ive got other wheels and tyres off at the dodgy used tyre joint getting swapped around for the ute, i will see what rims hes got there.

Cheers. Bob.

GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

I think ive got the P6000's on the BMW, do they also have Drago stamped on the sidewall? Aggressive looking tyer that doesnt grip at all if they are - i cant keep the Beemas rear end from wheelspinning and the thing is virtually powerless.

Honestly id go for a street tyre that you'd be running on a regular basis. No real point in running it on a compoud/rim that the car never/rarely sees.

Nick-
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

GeminiCoupe wrote:I think ive got the P6000's on the BMW, do they also have Drago stamped on the sidewall? Aggressive looking tyer that doesnt grip at all if they are - i cant keep the Beemas rear end from wheelspinning and the thing is virtually powerless.-
Yeah they are the cheaper Pirelli tyre. The 8000 is the good gear i think (but no where as good as the dunlop 3000, i used to have them in 17" on the HSV. have to see if they come in 15"). I bought em coz they were cheap. $60 ea New still had the stickers on em and they retail for over $100. They will do for now. I doubt i will be going to hard core in the Piazza, its set to be the daily driver for the cook.
GeminiCoupe wrote:Honestly id go for a street tyre that you'd be running on a regular basis. No real point in running it on a compoud/rim that the car never/rarely sees.

Nick-
I dont get what ya mean??? Are you meaning that i should fit up the 15x7's with the street tyres and run them???
The other 2 rims have to go off and get fixed, they have got some real deep gutter rash. Id have to buy some tyres. lol. Dont have 50 series money at the moment. lol.

I was going to get the steel rims made up anyway just for the purpose of 1/4 mile. (the same guy can do the rims as fix the mags) Im not going to go nuts with tyres. Just some high profile 14" soft retreads. Could use em for skids too if i get that destructive. lol.
Im thinking of them along the lines of the performance measuring device for my other piazza once i get into it. It will roll on 16's im planning.

Cheers. Bob.

GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Yeah thats what i meant, using the Mullins with the tyre you intend to run when its rego'd.

Speaking of runs, I borrowed a mates Gtech two days ago [before i put a crack in the radiator going bush bashing at a mates farm, this is in the BMW btw] and gave her a quick run. Result was a pretty dissapointing 17.8 at 70something MPH. Not so bad considering the Motor mags got 17.6-17.9 out of them - i ran the 17.8 with the air con switched on [i forgot about it :rolleyes: ] and a mate on board. Pretty confident i can get it into the low 17's.

They are suprisingly acurate. A mates ran mid 14's at Calder, suprisingly enough he also ran mid 14's on the Gtech [within .05 tenths!]. Only difference was MPH, which was +/- 3MPH. Not bad i reckon.

Back to the topic, your rim bloke...he wouldnt fit say a 4 x 100 centre onto a Commodore steel rim would he? If so how much and what does the offset end up being? I want a set for the Piazza.

Nick-
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

GeminiCoupe wrote: Back to the topic, your rim bloke...he wouldnt fit say a 4 x 100 centre onto a Commodore steel rim would he? If so how much and what does the offset end up being? I want a set for the Piazza.

Nick-
You should go see a toyata dealer. In OZgem they were saying that the new 15" corolla rims bolt straight up and the offset is ok.

Most wheel joints will do it. Well they will tell you they do it and send it off to the guy who does.

All they do is pull out the 4x100 centre from a donor wheel and fit it into another rim, and its whatever offset you want within reason of course. You cant move it right out if theres nothing to weld it to. Its near on easier to get them made new. I havent actually priced either.

I do have a BMW/Merc wrecker around the corner so i might go see what a pair of rims are worth. I spied an old 3 series in there today.

I want my pair to be min 7" wide. Im not fussed if i dont get em sorted before i run the car. I can use a pair of bald stockies. Time and money im short on both like most people. lol.

You should come run the BMW when i go out. I promise i will let you beat me :rolleyes: . If not theres the guy in the laser you can clean up. lol.

Cheers. Bob.

GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

As good as an idea that is, no can do. The clutch doesnt want to even hear about quick 1-2 or 2-3 changes, let alone my usual flat shifts. Dont laugh the old Slug318i doesnt go too badly...cleaned up an Exa Turbo numerous times. My magazine article says they ran high 16's standard...Piazza boys lookout!

From what ive heard about the Corolla rims they dont clear the hub/centre hole is too small to fit on a Gemini. Not sure how different it is to the Piazza but im assuming 100% the same.

Might have to look into the Corolla option...

Nick-
Bugle
A total post whore

Post by Bugle »

Most Gemini owners will say the offset is fine but they're slightly misguided about legal wheel fitments. The wheels usually hit the shocks when the car is jacked up but they shouldn't be touching anything at any point in the suspension travel. They don't seem to think this is a problem..

The centre hub extension is the same as Gemini and 4 stud bmw's, 57mm.
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Bugle wrote:The centre hub extension is the same as Gemini and 4 stud bmw's, 57mm.
Do you know what width they are Bugle????

Its the centre that Nick would want. 6" is just too narrow. lol.

im off to the BMW wrecker to get a pair of 14" ones tomorrow. Any one got a pair of 8" wide steel rims lying around????

shorty

Post by shorty »

if you want some 15inch wheel you can also get some of a 99 vectra (or astra). it's the last of that model that come in four stud and bolts on. i know i have a set, they normal run on my g/f gemmy coupe, looks cool with 15 interceptors on a gem and have had them on the back of the piazza. friend of mine had some 15 inch wheels made up from 15 common dore rims and gemmy stockies. worked ok but looked pretty shit due to the weld mark being visabel on the rim so he had to run hub caps all the time
Rodeobob
APC Member
APC Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Yeah i rekon i will go the 14" rims. I want to be able to get a tyre on em thats got some sidewall. I rekon 15" will be too low in profile.

Bob

GeminiCoupe
APC Member
APC Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Rodeobob wrote:Yeah i rekon i will go the 14" rims. I want to be able to get a tyre on em thats got some sidewall. I rekon 15" will be too low in profile
Yep, which is exactly WHY i want the 15" rims. Less sidewall = less flex under extreme cornering loads. The Beema has 15" rims with 60 series tyres on it and you can feel it drop onto the sidewall under harder cornering. Not a good thing, as it can make the car understeer then snap oversteer as it rolls onto the rear sidewalls.

Nick-