caster arm bushes

New, Old anything that bolts on and goes
vinnie55

caster arm bushes

Post by vinnie55 »

Hi

I need to replace these two bushes (both sides).
I believe they are the body end of the caster arm, but hopefully you guys can recognize them from these photos.

does anyone know where I could look for them?
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

How do, as per my PM these are the front bushes on the forward link arm. I have some used ones. Sometime back a member on here (can't remember who), try searching the suspension posts, was looking at moulding some in PU. The could also be machined from a sample. The bushes are the same at either side of the bracket and they have a small neck piece to enter the bracket aperture that lasts about ten minutes so forget about that bit. As long as the bushes have not gone soft and pulpy like shitty black chewing gum they should be okay. The key is to ensure there is no movement foire and aft other than the expected absorption in natural rubber. They should feel hard to the touch as I think they are about 80 shore hardness. If GM don't have them and IPTOC doesn't have them (and I would be very surprised if they don't) then let me know and I will sort some half decent ones out for you.
So many cars, so little cash
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

I used some aftermarket neoprenes for my Wasp. I cut then down to be a bit thinner. (Avoid leaving cracks or tears - smooth out the cut surface.)

I'd be surprised if something could not be found for the Piazza.
As I recall, they were similar (I was looking at the Piazza strut bars to replace my broken Wasp bar).

IMO neoprene should be ok.
A few decades back, some replaced Bellett rear swing-arm bushes with neoprene - until things started cracking up. (Or was it nylon? Surely not?) They then learned to replace the front with neoprene, but keep the rear softer to allow more flex.
Not that I think the Piazza strut bar would have similar issues.

Otherwise maybe softer polyurethane bushes. That's what I used for the Piazza sway-bar to control-arm bolt bushes.

(Sorry - but I find rubber often does not last. Some disintegrate in no time if exposed to oil etc. Cary's sway-bar "buffer" rubbers looked like melted licorice! And the polyurethanes were ~$24 for 8.)
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
vinnie55

Post by vinnie55 »

yeah im definitely keen to use polyurethane.
so i'm right to call them caster arm bushes?
I'm about to start ringing around.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

I wouldn't mind a set myself as spares.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Sorry - but I find rubber often does not last. Some disintegrate in no time if exposed to oil etc.
Well Pete, as you know it is very unusual for me to disagree with you :finga: :finga: But in this I must I'm afraid. It is true that NBR bushes will fall to putty if subject to oil spill as is often the case with sway bar rubbers and end link bushes, mainly due to their position relative to the famous ISUZU front crank seal that doesn't, this design wonder allows oilt o migrate all over the sway bar and its bushes, as well as the steering rack mounts so I have no argument for PU for those. However the lower link front end rubbers are extemely well protected from oil, if oil gets there you have picked it up from a car in front of you. I have experience of cars from the early 80's with sometimes 350k plus on the clock and those bushes still in reasonable order.

If you think realistically about it, anyone that owns a Piazza today and replaces those bushes today will probably never have to change them again so why go through the hassle of trying to find or make PU ones. Stick some standard ones on and harden the fuck up as chopper would say.

So PU for rack, sway bar and end links for sure. Even inner lower control arms if you can find them but not needed for upper inner arms, shock mounts or caster arms as they are not exposed to oil and that way you don't get the harder ride of PU.
IZU069
Power Moderator
Power Moderator

Post by IZU069 »

I won't disagree. In fact I agree.
Very valid points for readers. Thanks for qualifying/correcting my implication.

But on my Wasp which was only 35 years and 900,000 miles old....
(ha ha)

[ Actually some confusion - someone said "the other Wasp" was the one that has clocked 900k miles. ]
IZU069 - ISUZU means a lot to me.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

If anyone IS interested in OEM bushes for the front strut bar. The part numbers I have (which may be superceded by now) are:

Cushion rubber, front lower strut, 8-94239-655-3 (early cars) and 8-94239-668-1 (later cars) which you guys have 4 required per car obviously. Unless of course Holden fucked with the suspension and did something different but I doubt they had the imagination or the brains.
wedgenut
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by wedgenut »

Update to previous post, latest part number appears to be 8-94403-716-0 and currently no stock in Holden NZ or at Holden Australia, Isuzu NZ and Australia also have no stock so it appears to be back order ex Japan. They are not showing up as discontinued so I will keep you posted as it develops.

It is possible one of the Holden dealerships around OZ may have some new old stock but of course I can't access them. Maybe someone on here can approach their Local holden dealer and have them do a "round oz" search to see if any are hiding anywhere.
Piazza_man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Piazza_man »

Thanks Wedge. You're the best.